U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM

748 posts, read 971,196 times
Default Toy recommendations for a wrecking machine?

Our 2 year old English Bull Terrier loves to play with toys - but his primary goal is to tear them apart (which he succeeds at). Every couple of months we buy a cheap toy for him to "kill" which takes him about 5 minutes. He is very pleased with himself after and struts around with the shreds hanging from his mouth. He has a kong and indestructible balls (he loves to destoy tennis balls). I bought him a rope and a rubber bone which he doesn't like to play with - is there any nylon toys out there that I could try - maybe give him 20 minutes of fun rather than 5?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,282,838 times
Have you tried the black Kong?

Would love to see a video of him "at work"
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Our 2 year old English Bull Terrier loves to play with toys - but his primary goal is to tear them apart (which he succeeds at). Every couple of months we buy a cheap toy for him to "kill" which takes him about 5 minutes. He is very pleased with himself after and struts around with the shreds hanging from his mouth. He has a kong and indestructible balls (he loves to destoy tennis balls). I bought him a rope and a rubber bone which he doesn't like to play with - is there any nylon toys out there that I could try - maybe give him 20 minutes of fun rather than 5?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 AM

21,198 posts, read 16,456,661 times
Plastic pop bottles.

Just be sure to remove the cap and little ring....

Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 AM

6,068 posts, read 8,679,086 times
yup, dozer loveshis bottles...
and the laser pointer...
the planet dog line seems to be fairly tough, but for themost part ive yet to find a truly indestructable toy...dozer has chewed smal chunks off even the black kong lol.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 PM

748 posts, read 971,196 times
He does love the plastic bottles, and destoys them too. I was hoping for a soft toy that he can shake and "Kill". Horrible to think what he would do if he got hold of a cat of a squirrel......YIKES! The most recent toy had squeekers in each of the legs and was made of tent material. It lasted about 10 minutes - the stuffing covered our floor and he pulled each leg off. He's been carrying around the legs and chewing on them to destroy the squeekers....mission accomplished!

Old 08-10-2012, 03:49 PM

17,549 posts, read 11,179,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
He does love the plastic bottles, and destoys them too. I was hoping for a soft toy that he can shake and "Kill". Horrible to think what he would do if he got hold of a cat of a squirrel......YIKES! The most recent toy had squeekers in each of the legs and was made of tent material. It lasted about 10 minutes - the stuffing covered our floor and he pulled each leg off. He's been carrying around the legs and chewing on them to destroy the squeekers....mission accomplished!
Do a search for "ballistic nylon" dog toys. Also Orbee-Tuff makes dog toys and rates them on how durable they are. Nylabones are also pretty tough, but if your dog is like mine, they really do not like toys they cannot destroy.

Dog Toys - Toys for Adult Dogs - Planet Dog

You can also set up your dog to be a "toy tester" and get a sizable discount on future dog toys.

https://www.vipproducts.com/retail/f...FYIaQgodY08Akw

Old 08-10-2012, 03:57 PM

407 posts, read 399,921 times
I also have a 'destruco dog'. I bought a big bag of dog toys the day before we brought her home, and she destroyed 3 in less than 24 hours!

I found very inexpensive toys at my local Walgreens that take her weeks to destroy, they are stuffed elongated animals that resemble the draft dodgers you put down along the base of a door. She's had a cow, a cat, a chicken... they sell for $5 or less, have two different squeakers, and she loves them.

I've also found that Webkins stuffed animals hold up for a pretty long time. I have a local discount store that sells them (without the web code) for only $3-5, and they can last her for weeks.

I've gotten her stuff like the Kong, but as soon as she realizes that she will never destroy it, she loses all interest. She does like plastic drink bottles, I find the harder plastic bottles, from things like Vitamin Water, hold up longer and are a better size for her than the 2 liter soft drink bottles.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM

6,068 posts, read 8,679,086 times
for stuffed animals try the stuffeez (the stuffing free soft toys) there not going to last forever but dont have stuffing to pull out and swalow/toss everywhere...its the ONLY soft toy that even my toy NON enthusast will play with and mymale crestie takes his to bed with him...dozers LOVES his but its mostly just an unidentifiable peice of faux fur at this point, still carries it round like its the best thing since sliced bread. hes gettinga new one for chirstmass

Old 08-10-2012, 05:40 PM

5,154 posts, read 9,052,078 times
I got these because they're supposed to be tougher to destroy:

Bamboo Combat Dog Toys

Alas, the first one lasted only about 5 minutes before the first tear and full destruction in 15 minutes. I was thinking of getting these:

Skinneeez Stuffing-Free Dog Toys by Spot

They might last longer because there's no stuffing to pull out.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:43 PM

3,503 posts, read 4,854,410 times
I have a friend tha just buys the blanket type material at a fabric store cuts them into various lengths and puts a few knots in them and her dog loves them as he can run around shaking them and they are nice and soft and she gets several for the price of an average dog toy.

Dazzle likes to destroy toys that are stuffed but his skinzeez seem to last pretty long.Chaos is a bit easier on toys but will take arms or legs off of stuffed toys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs