U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 AM

4,605 posts, read 5,546,145 times

Advertisements

Bella had two seizers yesterday afternoon. My daughter was here and I was just leaving work. Not sure how long the first one was but the second one lasted 3 minutes. My vets office told me to take her to the e-vet so that they could watch her overnight. She did fine thru the night.

I have an appt with my vet to do blood work this morning. The e-vet doesn't think its a tumor or cancer since she is so young. She'll be 3 tomorrow.

There isn't anything in the house that she can get into. No plants, no garbage, no medicine. We didn't find anything chewed up. She's normally doesn't chew on this anyway.

I haven't sprayed anything in the yard. She was only outside for 15 minutes by herself after my daughter got home and she laid on the deck the whole time.

The e-vet is leaning toward epilepsy. He said the only way to test for that is a MRI and catscan. We'll see. He also wanted to go ahead and give her anti-seizer meds but I didn't let him.

You guys know what I went thru with Ben. He died when he was 3yr 2 mths. When he died it was like he was having a seizer but it was his heart giving out. When Bella started the first seizer, my daughter thought she was going to die. It was awful. Like a flash back. DD handled herself well. Kept her head and didn't panic but she was shaking like a leaf.

Please keep my baby in your prayers. This girl is my other half. I can't loose another one so young.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 AM

35,102 posts, read 48,300,108 times
Best wishes.

(seizure)

Old 08-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Best wishes.

(seizure)
Sorry......my spelling sucks.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 AM

17,330 posts, read 31,290,514 times
Oh my, gosh... Jessie...

I didn't even read your post -- I only saw the subject line -- and my first thought was of Ben.

OK. OK. Breathe, breathe, breathe.

Bella had a seizure. The vet thinks that it's epilepsy, not her heart. Epilepsy can be treated. Although it doesn't FEEL that way, this really IS good news, the fact that he thinks she has something that's treatable.

Are you going to go back to your regular vet and ask them what they think, and have them diagnose her?

I'm keeping you in my thoughts, and I'm sending all sorts of good, healthy vibes to Bella and to you.

xo

Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh my, gosh... Jessie...

I didn't even read your post -- I only saw the subject line -- and my first thought was of Ben.

OK. OK. Breathe, breathe, breathe.

Bella had a seizure. The vet thinks that it's epilepsy, not her heart. Epilepsy can be treated. Although it doesn't FEEL that way, this really IS good news, the fact that he thinks she has something that's treatable.

Are you going to go back to your regular vet and ask them what they think, and have them diagnose her?

I'm keeping you in my thoughts, and I'm sending all sorts of good, healthy vibes to Bella and to you.

xo
Did you hear me calling you Dawn?

I know it's not her heart. Not panicking and yes we are going to her regular vet in a few minutes.

I really trust him. We'll figure this out. Time to go. I'll check back in after we get back.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 31,290,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Did you hear me calling you Dawn?

I know it's not her heart. Not panicking and yes we are going to her regular vet in a few minutes.

I really trust him. We'll figure this out. Time to go. I'll check back in after we get back.
I must have.

I'm looking forward to hearing some good news from you soon.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:50 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,165,497 times
One of my dogs has epilepsy, but he didn't need an MRI or cat scan for that diagnosis. I just explained to my vet his symptoms and he was put on medication. The seizures stopped for a while, whereafter his dosage was increased. He hasn't had another seizure since then. He's four years old now, and started medication a little before his third birthday.

My vet told me that if a dog is going to develop epilepsy it will be around the 2- to 3-year age.

Good luck. It's really horrible to witness...

ps: I'd try the medication first before dealing with the expense of an MRI or cat scan.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM

13,693 posts, read 37,258,593 times
I wouldnt even medicate unless its Grand Mal Mild ones are no biggie just make sure your home is safe so no mater where or when she cant hurt herself! Padded crate when your not home.... for example. What Breed is she? What breed was Ben? Sorry for your loss BTW

Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I wouldnt even medicate unless its Grand Mal Mild ones are no biggie just make sure your home is safe so no mater where or when she cant hurt herself! Padded crate when your not home.... for example. What Breed is she? What breed was Ben? Sorry for your loss BTW

The second one lasted a good 3 minutes so it was a Grand Mal. Laborador. The only breed I have.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:53 AM

9,353 posts, read 19,209,648 times
just now seeing this .....

omg.... how frightening for all of you.....

so so so hope it is something easily managed.... or even better, just a one-off....

what did her vet say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs