Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 10:26 AM

1,760 posts, read 2,091,121 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've been so appreciative of the advice I've gotten from this thread. Now I am back with more questions. Sawyer has been having issues with people, he loves other dogs, cats, any animal really, but he's still terrified of people. We've figured out it is mostly the greeting that gets him and once he's used to them he turns into a big love bug.
What he does is as soon as people get in the door, he barks his ridiculously loud bark and goes right up to them and will be in his pounce position howling. This usually scares the heck out of them. He's never bitten anyone, nor do I think he would. He usually runs away if they actually look at him. I jsut cannot have him do this. He's such a sweet boy, I want my guest to see the real him and not be terrified by scared, howling him.
I'm not exactly sure when this started. He has always been afraid of people but usually he would hide behind me. If they came over to he house, he would go to his crate (without being asked) and eventually would come out and warm up to people. Never would he scare them. At some point, something must have triggered this and now I just want to fix it. Help please!

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,352,706 times
Put him in a sit/stay when you answer the door.

Note: This will take a LOT of practice.
It's not like training one of the easier commands, it'll take time.

Also teach "speak" and "quiet" if you don't want barking or howling. The former is a prerequisite of the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs