Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times

Advertisements

i still think a crestie is a good choice lol.

theres NOTHING wrong with finding your new best frined on craigslist...
craiglist is a resource like any other, you MUST do your homework...
In many areas there arnt such things as no kill shelters and many people try to rehome their og themselves rather than facing the fact that in the pound they may be pts long before someone could love them...
rescues are picky and they can be because there often bursitng at the seams and many cant take out of state ect...

when looking on craigslist id say a "reasonable" fee is anything under $100, (id go more if the dog comes with its crate, be bowls ect...)
but for that fee at minimum id want the og to be UTD on shots and checked by a vet...
i cant justify paying more than $25 on any animal thats not at minimum up to date on vaccines, and if they want a fee to ensure a good home they have to prove they were a good home too...

you want to know history on the dog (theres penty of "flippers" out there who take free puppies and dogs and then relist them for a "small adoption fee")

I think as long as YOU are smart ad your not spending hundereds of dollars on a craigslist pet then i see nothign wrong wiht using it as a resource...i use it myself all the time to list the random strays and fosters that come my way because there ISNT a no kill around here to send them to or work with...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 05:30 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,252 times
Thanks foxywench, I still think the CCs are cute, and will seriously consider one if we go the breeder route. I doubt I'll find one on CL! $100 with vaccinations and vet records seems reasonable. My main concern with cost is avoiding mills, thieves, and other no-goodnicks. The vet record would serve to eliminate those folks. If we even still do CL. We're weighing the options.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:44 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Yes, for so many many reasons. Use petfinder.com or work through reputable breeding groups. Buying or accepting a pet through craigslist is a HUGE risk and should be very discouraged. No reputable breeder would use it and those trying to adopt out an unwanted dog should use rescue and adoption sites that will vet and temperament test the dogs.
all of our local shelters use craigs list.

I don't consider any breeders reputable. There are too many dogs available to intentionally make more.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Yes, for so many many reasons. Use petfinder.com or work through reputable breeding groups. Buying or accepting a pet through craigslist is a HUGE risk and should be very discouraged. No reputable breeder would use it and those trying to adopt out an unwanted dog should use rescue and adoption sites that will vet and temperament test the dogs.
My Daughter and her family rescued their Golden, Sophie off craigs list. They have now had her about 5 years. I think if you meet the dog, and the owner....it should be ok. Folks can write a bit about their dogs and meet potential owners too on craigs list.
There are many reasons folks don't want to take their dogs to a shelter....one is that they are sometimes put to sleep..

Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Some years back, I heard a kitten mewling under a car. I got on the dirty, nasty ground and looked underneath to find the tiniest of kittens there. Long story short, within a half an hour and about 20 neighbors later, (who had all gathered around to watch or help), we got that kitten out, (who by that time had decided to crawl up in to the engine...ugh).

Then we had to figure out what to do with the kitten. Everyone backed off because they either couldn't have pets or had dogs, (some had the dogs with them at the time). Well....crap. It landed on me.

I took care of that cat for about 9 months but I really, REALLY couldn't take on another cat. I posted an ad on CL.

I got ONE reply. I invited the girl over and she spent a good chunk of time at my place, getting to know the kitten, kitten getting to know her. Everything was ok until it was time to get kitten in carrier.

Kitten freaked, did NOT want to go. The girl even mentioned this, "Maybe she doesn't want to leave you?"

I was trying to be firm with myself. I can't rescue and keep every single animal on this planet.

I got the kitten to her car, she opened the door and the kitten exploded out of my arms and bounced around the back of the SUV in shock and fear. And the look that cat gave me when I closed the door? The total and utter betrayal it felt was written all over its face. To this day, I will never forget that look and to this day, I wish I had "made room" for this adorable calico.

BUT, the girl did write to me a few times and told me how the kitten was doing. What she had named it, what her grandma was feeding it, what toys and such they had bought for the kitten. She really seemed to love this cat.

I hope so. I hope that little cat is having a good life. I hope so.

It IS possible to find a great pet off of CraigsList. You have to be careful...never go anywhere by yourself, for example. Get the pet checked at a vet before you accept it, fully or ask for recent vet records from the current owner.

A lot of people put CL down because a few jackarses out there ruin it for people. But it is possible. They are NOT all BYB.

The way I see it, you can rescue from the pound and/or you can rescue from CL. To me, in many cases, when you get a pet off of CL, you ARE rescuing it because there are some vile, disgusting people in this world who stalk CL looking for "free" or cheap animals to do their vile, disgusting things with. Either way, you are saving if you are a legitimate pet owner...or soon to be pet owner.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:23 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
OP, I didn't see this one listed in a quick scan - you might contact whomever you plan to use as a vet and see if they have a list of dogs that need re-homing. My vet here has a notebook and I've seen other offices that have bulletin boards. That's not a whole lot better than the newspaper or CL sometimes as far as knowing much about the dog if they allow just anyone to put info in there, but sometimes the office staff will remember the folks who came in and can give you a general impression or maybe more info on the situation. I've also had my vet call me and tell me of a dog he knows the history on who needs rehoming, and I help whenever I possibly can. I re-homed a little tiny Chihuahua puppy from Arkansas to south Texas just a couple of years ago on that type deal. The pup had been ill and the people simply didn't want the dog after that - my vet donated his services on the hospitalization and I paid for shots and walked out the door (with a Chihuahua foster to add to my herd of Rottweilers - it was interesting!). He also called me after one of his clients passed away suddenly and I placed an absolutely adorable Yorkie for a grieving family who just couldn't deal with one more thing under such tragic circumstances.

As far as CL itself, I agree that it's not the best solution, but people no longer hang signs on street corners or use the newspaper with electronic media. I would be very careful and require some type paperwork that can be verified, as others have stated, particularly if the dog is an actual breed. The last thing you want is a stolen dog, and there is no limit to how far people will stoop for a dollar these days.

A rescue is a rescue. A good dog that needs a good home is just what it sounds like, no matter where they come from. FWIW, when I was doing rescue with an org you would not have been ruled out just because you didn't already have a local vet and local references - as long as you are honest with the rescue and open to suggestions or have a plan in place for vetting that shouldn't be the hurdle that can't be jumped.

I wish you well on your search and look forward to seeing pictures of your new arrival whenever it arrives!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:35 AM

jodi, thats just silly TRUY good breeders do NOT contribute to the pet overpopulationproblem...
GOOD breeders have strickt spay/neuter and buy back contracts, GOOD breeders do everything in thier power to prevent their "product" form ending up in shelters ect...

GOOD breeer protect the heath and individual identity of each breed...without good breeers thered be no more cocker spanels, and poodles an german shepers an great danes...
there be plenty of mutts, bad and unhealthy examples that are "suppose' to be certain breeds, but we loose all the GOOD ...

the answer it not no more breeding the answer is making EVERY person who allows their ogs to bree TRULY responisbile for what happens to those "products" later in life...
making a breer take responisbility for any puppy they produce that ends up neeing rescue...
a good breeer wil take back ANY animal they produce at ANY time in that animal life should the owners not beable to keep the animal (or they will help rehome ect)
ive known breeers whove traveld cross country to go pick up dogs that for one reason or another couldnt stay with the people who purchase them ect...

if we made puppy mills and backyard breeers THAT kind of responsible for EVERY puppy the produced...theres be a whole lot less animals in shelters anda whole LOT less mills and BYB's to contribute.

Op, shame your not local, there was a cute little crestie on craiglist here for $100 his momma bit off his tail...

you might also want to check out crestcare...

Old 08-24-2012, 02:34 AM

757 posts, read 1,328,533 times
I agree with Foxy. There is no reason in the world that you should not use CL to find a dog. Many of the people who are advocates, work in rescues, shelters.. heck I don't know where they come from. Many people trying to BLAME CL for animal abuse. If you get your dog at a rescue, from a breeder or from CL each has it's own problems, potential hazards. Do your homework. Spend time with the dog before you agree to have him as your new pet.

Often times people who are posting their dogs "free to good home" or for a "small rehoming fee" they are in desperate situations, they don't want to get rid of their dog. They may have kept the pet as long as they could, running out of options.. Anybody who loves and cared for their pet will not mind letting you interact with the pet before you take it.

For every one dog who ends up in abusive hands, hundreds are successfully rehomed. Just like for every dog that bites, there are millions who do not.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,252 times
Sam I Am, I'm unable to rep you, but thanks for the suggestion of checking with a vet. Even if the vet doesn't necessarily know much about a given animal, it somehow seems like a safer place to get a dog than CL.

When this project is complete and we have a dog to show for it, I will proudly post pics!

Foxywench, I did browse CrestCare at one point. I figured we would probably be unable to adopt from a rescue, though, because we don't have a dog-owning and dog-vetting record to be reviewed. I think I'll focus on other avenues for now.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 PM

nawh, crest care will likely even help you FIND a vet... lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs