U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 AM

725 posts, read 2,573,493 times

Advertisements

I know there are a ton of separation anxiety threads, and I probably started one 3 or so years ago when my puppy used to bark when I would leave for work. At that time, I did try the method of leaving for 10 seconds and coming back to show him I'd be back, and increasing that amount of time. That didn't help out too much then. At some point I even got one of those bark collars (citronella spray), and also a Bark-off device and I could never tell if it worked or not (as there is no light indicator or dead battery warning). The barking just eventually stopped.

Anyway, now that my brat is 4.5 years old, I thought I curbed all of the separation anxiety because he basically just lays in his bed when I get ready for work in the morning. He doesn't get up or cry when I leave. But apparently, one of my (condo) neighbors has complained (yesterday) to management that my dog has been barking all day. I of course have not been home to know this.

My challenge is to try and curb the barking, again, but I don't know how to approach it. How do I stop a dog that doesn't bark when I leave for work - but starts to bark in the middle of the day? What causes this? He has toys, food, water. I spoke to another neighbor of mine (who lives on the other side of the complaining neighbor, and she also has a small dog) and she said that she noticed my dog barking probably within the last week or two. She said she is isn't bothered by it (home all day) but wanted to let me know.

Some more background info. I moved into this condo unit several months ago, but I would think my dog has 'settled' in by now. Strange that he would be barking NOW, just recently, and not when I just moved in. Nothing in my lifestyle, work schedule, etc has changed in the last two weeks either, so I am really puzzled on what would cause him to start barking again.

A colleague of mine referred me to look into this anxiety vest: Thundershirt Anti Anxiety Calming Dog Wrap - Dog Supplies the current XS and S sizes are out of stock, but I'm wondering if any of these are truly effective anyway. Has anyone had experience? Also, what about this? http://www.dogsupplies.com/products/...y-Problem.html

Does anyone have any practical advice?

Today, I brought my dog to a friend's home which is close to my office. But this is not a permanent solution.

Last edited by s0nginmyheart; 08-22-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:44 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,970,240 times
Maybe he has a delayed reaction to the move? I don't have any been-there-done-that advice for you but I'm just writing to let you know what I would try----Is there anyone who can take him for a long walk in the middle of the day?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,338,796 times
We had a neighbor complain about our dogs barking all day. We video taped them and found they didn't bark all day, but they did bark (found out which dog was the instigator). The barking started because a neighbor kid on the other side would egg them on when they were younger (caught him a couple of times). Someone or something near your condo may be the cause of the renewed barking.

Since another neighbor confirmed the barking, I'd go back to using the tools you've used in the past. It's a new area for the dog and the initial quietness may have been because of this. Once the dog became familiar with the surroundings (or realized this was permanent), it likely establishing its presence.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:08 PM

6,071 posts, read 8,361,765 times
What about dog day care or maybe a dog walker could come in in the middle of the day? I agree with the person who said they video taped their dogs to see for themselves...it could be someone bothering your dog...and I'd want to know for sure if that might be the case and see for myself how bothersome the barking really is.

Good luck! I always worry my dog barks when I'm not home, but so far so good.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. My concern with getting a dog walker is that even if s/he comes by at 12p, that still leaves a 4+ hour window for my dog to start barking again. Apparently this neighbor sleeps during the day and works all night.

I am thinking about setting up a webcam so that I can see/hear what he's doing, and if he starts to bark then I can at least say "STOP" lol and hope he'll react to the sound of my voice. He is confined to my master bedroom/bathroom with a petgate... which is opposite the wall I share with the complaining neighbor.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:54 PM

12,432 posts, read 31,476,724 times
New place New Noises New smells I wouldnt worry about it to much. Get a web cam tho so You can see whats going on! You Protection. Leave a radio or tv on also might help him adjust.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 PM

I wish I could not worry about it and let it pass. But this neighbor is being a jerk, went down to the management office and made inappropriate threats (first accusing the other neighbor). I just don't want to be slapped with a fine if I don't take proper measures to remedy the barking.

I just bought a "Comfort Zone" DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheremone) plug in - which is supposed to calm down the dog's stress related behavior. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it really work?

Some people have claimed the bark-collar citronella spray solved their issues - but for me (when he was a puppy) the collar would stop functioning correctly and was ineffective for me. Any other ideas would be most welcomed!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:26 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,970,240 times
can you try moving your dog into another room (preferably as far away from offended neighbor as possible)?

Find out at roughly what time he starts barking and then program a radio to go on at that time. Ok, that might be a dumb idea but you never know what might do the trick...and since you asked for ideas, I'm flinging them out there!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:40 PM

22,699 posts, read 16,804,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I know there are a ton of separation anxiety threads, and I probably started one 3 or so years ago when my puppy used to bark when I would leave for work. At that time, I did try the method of leaving for 10 seconds and coming back to show him I'd be back, and increasing that amount of time. That didn't help out too much then. At some point I even got one of those bark collars (citronella spray), and also a Bark-off device and I could never tell if it worked or not (as there is no light indicator or dead battery warning). The barking just eventually stopped.

Anyway, now that my brat is 4.5 years old, I thought I curbed all of the separation anxiety because he basically just lays in his bed when I get ready for work in the morning. He doesn't get up or cry when I leave. But apparently, one of my (condo) neighbors has complained (yesterday) to management that my dog has been barking all day. I of course have not been home to know this.

My challenge is to try and curb the barking, again, but I don't know how to approach it. How do I stop a dog that doesn't bark when I leave for work - but starts to bark in the middle of the day? What causes this? He has toys, food, water. I spoke to another neighbor of mine (who lives on the other side of the complaining neighbor, and she also has a small dog) and she said that she noticed my dog barking probably within the last week or two. She said she is isn't bothered by it (home all day) but wanted to let me know.

Some more background info. I moved into this condo unit several months ago, but I would think my dog has 'settled' in by now. Strange that he would be barking NOW, just recently, and not when I just moved in. Nothing in my lifestyle, work schedule, etc has changed in the last two weeks either, so I am really puzzled on what would cause him to start barking again.

A colleague of mine referred me to look into this anxiety vest: Thundershirt Anti Anxiety Calming Dog Wrap - Dog Supplies the current XS and S sizes are out of stock, but I'm wondering if any of these are truly effective anyway. Has anyone had experience? Also, what about this? Comfort Zone Plug For Dog Anxiety Problem - Dog Supplies

Does anyone have any practical advice?

Today, I brought my dog to a friend's home which is close to my office. But this is not a permanent solution.
Is it possible to get up an hour earlier than you are and exercise your dog pretty good in that hour so that he sleeps most of the day while you're gone?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:16 PM

He is already in the master bedroom which is furthest away from the offended neighbor. Although, it also has access to the bathroom where the door is left open (and a pet gate is used to secure it). I have thought about closing that off hoping it mitigates any noise, but have yet to try it.

I take him for about a 20 minute walk in the mornings. He's a tiny 10 lb papillon/chihuahua mix, and has a semi-diagnosed case of vasovagal syncope (originally thought to be seizures) when he exercises too much (i.e. runs at top speed) - so I can't have him running around for an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs