U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 AM

436 posts, read 753,798 times
Default why is my dog losing fur?

We got our dog last december, right after Christmas. He's a boston terrier/chihuahau mix. When we got him from the shelter he was eating Purina's Little Bites food. We noticed he was kind of gassy so we looked around for a better food. We switched him over to Nutro Max which he ate for a little while then stopped eating it. So we switched him over to Wellness Core. He went back and forth between Wellness Core and Innova and has since settled on Wellness Core.

Whe we first got him he had a full coat of fur. When we switched him to Nutro Max we noticed his coat was nice and shiny. Now for the past couple of months(he's been eating wellness core) we've noticed him losing fur on his stomach area and inside his legs. We took him to the vet a little over a month ago and the vet thinks he has seasonal allergies because he also has watery eyes and was itchy. He had given him a cortisone(I think) injection and it helped somewhat.

I've been reading about how some dogs have allergies to certain proteins. It is possible that the high amount of protein in the Wellness core is causing his fur loss? Should I switch him to a food with less protein in it? Should I try a food with a different kind of protein (lamb instead of chicken)? Why would the fur loss be only on his stomach/inside legs area? BTW the vet already ruled out mange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM

6,047 posts, read 8,388,754 times
food allergies are usually butt and feet...
but it wouldt hurt to switch him to lamb or fish and see if that makes a ifference...

belly and inner leg hair loss are usually a reaction to something hes laying on on a regular basis, either an allergy to grass/grass pollen, somehting you spray on your grass, fleas/ants or whatever your using to wash/spray your linnens (ie your laundry detergent, or febreeze ect)

Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 PM

17,023 posts, read 10,890,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
We got our dog last december, right after Christmas. He's a boston terrier/chihuahau mix. When we got him from the shelter he was eating Purina's Little Bites food. We noticed he was kind of gassy so we looked around for a better food. We switched him over to Nutro Max which he ate for a little while then stopped eating it. So we switched him over to Wellness Core. He went back and forth between Wellness Core and Innova and has since settled on Wellness Core.

Whe we first got him he had a full coat of fur. When we switched him to Nutro Max we noticed his coat was nice and shiny. Now for the past couple of months(he's been eating wellness core) we've noticed him losing fur on his stomach area and inside his legs. We took him to the vet a little over a month ago and the vet thinks he has seasonal allergies because he also has watery eyes and was itchy. He had given him a cortisone(I think) injection and it helped somewhat.

I've been reading about how some dogs have allergies to certain proteins. It is possible that the high amount of protein in the Wellness core is causing his fur loss? Should I switch him to a food with less protein in it? Should I try a food with a different kind of protein (lamb instead of chicken)? Why would the fur loss be only on his stomach/inside legs area? BTW the vet already ruled out mange.
Dogs, at all ages, need high levels of protein. It is very rare for a dog to develop a protein allergy, but it does happen. Without an actual allergy test, it is almost impossible to tell to what they may be allergic. Your vet may be right, that it is just a seasonal allergy. However, it has been my experience that skin and fur problems can be traced to their food the vast majority of the time. Sometimes dogs are only allergic to certain proteins, like egg, or beef. Which means fish or chicken is fine for them. Or they may be allergic to grains (corn, wheat, etc.), which is one of the more common dog allergies.

One thing about switching dog food. A lot of the better quality kibble will contain probiotics to aid in your dog's digestion. Switching dog foods should be done gradually, over a period of about five days, in order to give your dog's digestive track time to adjust. If you switch foods cold-turkey, you are likely to give your dog the runs for a few days.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:26 PM

while thats true glitch, wellness core is an EXCELENT food (all be it one that aparently a few people are having allergy issues with) wellness core is Grain free...which only leaves a limite number of allergens..in this case with wellness core the main ingreients in thier regular one is chicken turkey ptatoe an peas...

chicken allergies are VERY common...(though i belive its the corn and soy fed to the chicken not the chicken itself thats the issue)

all allergies have the same general responce by the body, itchyness, redness dry skin and hairloss, LOCATION tends to give away the allergy type...

food allergies tend to focus on the feet (itchy feet anf hairloos on the feet are REALY common with fod allergies, Ears yeasty ears/od smell/reness ect are comon food allergy symptoms and hairloss on the Butt/around the tail...(not sure why)

flea allergies tend to be patchy all over the back with a focus on the belly and butt, (likely ue to these being the most common areas for fleas to congregate an feed)

environmental allergies ten to be feet legs and belly with occasional runny nose an itchy eyes, hairloss around the eyes is also a common environmental allergy sighn (ie pollen)

hairloss on the inner legs and belly tend to be CONTACT allergies...my bet would be laundry detergnets...

But i do think switching to a different protein, staying grain free, but going fish or red meat (bison, venison ect) would be the first step id also choose a food that usues sweet potatoe rather than regular potatoe (sweet potatoe is more easily digeste and healthier, just like in people)
Id also go with a hypoalergenic laundry etergent (one designed for use with babies is great) for his bed, loos cushions and pretyt much anything "washable" that he come into contact with...if you use fabric softner...stop using it on his stuff, the perfumes ten to be common allergens, and if you use febreeze or any other "fabric refreshers" id stop using those too.

Given the location of the hairloss (primarily the iner leg hairloss) contact allergen woul be my first bet...
if changing etergents and cutting out fabrc softner doesnt help (assuming hes also kept on a flea preventative) and chanigng to a different protein doesnt help either then id say environmental and likely grass pollen, benadryl should help in those cases.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
while thats true glitch, wellness core is an EXCELENT food (all be it one that aparently a few people are having allergy issues with) wellness core is Grain free.
I never meant to imply that Wellness Core was an inferior product. I only wanted to ensure that the dog was gradually being fed new kibble instead of a cold-turkey switch. Wellness Core includes the probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus, which means that if their gut flora is changed too quickly it could lead to digestive distress. It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the kibble, although it is usually only the better quality kibble that includes probiotics.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:44 PM

436 posts, read 753,798 times
Thank you for the responses!

Glitch- I was planning on doing a gradual change over to the new food as I've done in the past. I read about sudden changes causing stomach issues.

Foxywench- He does get frontline plus every month. We use the free and clear type of detergents in our house. The detergent was the first thing I thought of months ago so we switched over and it has made no difference. We have carpeting but we dont' use any kind of cleaners or sprays on it, just regular vaccuming. I've thought about seasonal allergens and we've been washing his blankets more often and vaccuming more often, still with no positive change in his condition. So my last thought is the food. I've been looking at Innova Prime, Simply Nourish and Nutro Natural Choice, all in lamb flavor. He does not like seafood flavors and I have been unsuccessful finding a beef flavor.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:24 PM

Look into California natural brand if you can find it...
Innova is great im not familiar with simply nourish though.
im supprised wellness core doesnt make a lamb based...considering the rest of the core line...

have you thought about going pre-made raw?
Raw is always the absolute best option and with a small dogs its not all that expensive to buy pre-made

your carpet wouldnt happen to have been reacently scotch guarded would it? (i have a frine whos dog is allergic to the scotchguard type stuff they use to help prevent carpet stains, she was getting her carpet cleaned to try and help his allergies and they got worse after every visit...turned out it was the stain guard)

i agree though if youve tried everything else food and pollen are pretty much the last 2 options...

Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM

Start with a grade of 100:
  1. For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points
  2. For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points
  3. If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points
  4. For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points
  5. If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer's rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points
  6. If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points
  7. If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points
  8. If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points
  9. If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points
  10. If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2 points
  11. If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points
  12. If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points
  13. If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points
  14. If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to beef), subtract 1 point
  15. If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:
  1. If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points
  2. If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points
  3. If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points
  4. If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points
  5. If the food contains fruit, add 3 points
  6. If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points
  7. If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points
  8. If the food contains barley, add 2 points
  9. If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points
  10. If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point
  11. If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point
  12. For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "turkey" as 2 different sources), add 1 point
  13. If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point
  14. If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point
TOTAL SCORE
94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
01-69 = F

Some of the top quality (A Grade) kibble include (in no particular order):
  • Timberwolf Organics Lamb & Venison
  • Solid Gold Bison
  • Eagle Pack Holistic
  • Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
  • Wellness Super 5 Mix - Chicken
  • Eagle Pack Natural
  • Canidae
  • Natural Balance Duck & Potato
  • Eagle Pack Large & Giant Breed Puppy
  • Innova
  • Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken
B Grade kibble includes:
  • Flint River Ranch
  • Eukanuba Natural Lamb & Rice
C Grade kibble includes:
  • Nutro Natural choice Lamb & Rice
  • Nutro Chicken, Rice, & Oatmeal
  • Eukanuba Large Breed Adult
  • Iams Large Breed
  • Iams Lamb Meal & Rice
F Grade kibble includes:
  • Science Diet Chicken Adult Maintenance
  • Bil-Jac Select
  • Science Diet Large Breed
  • Pro Plan All Breed
  • Pedigree Complete Nutrition
  • Pedigree Adult Complete
  • Purina Beneful
  • Ol Roy
It is now up to you to make a decision on what to do about your furry friend and their nutrition. There is another world in home cooked meals, and yet another realm involving a raw diet. But neither subject am I very versed in.

With regard to cost, the "cheap" F Grade kibble will cost you the least up-front, and the most in the long-run when you factor in all the unnecessary vet bills you will be paying. While the best quality kibble will cost you more up-front, in the long-run you will pay far less than the "cheap" poor quality kibble.

Dog food can be confusing, but I hope I have provided enough information to at least give you an idea of what proper dog nutrition should be about.

Please read those ingredient labels closely.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 PM

4,075 posts, read 10,428,369 times
He could also have grass allergies. Sad but true that some dogs are allergic to grass. Oh, what about shampoos, what do you use?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,442 times
I just moved about 7 months ago and we got all new carpeting in our house. And ever since we moved my dogs have had skin irritation and itching. Non stop itching pulling out clumps of hair at a time. After 6 months of going back and forth to the vet and not getting any definitive answers we decided we are having all the carpets cleaned because we narrowed it down to it probably being the scotch guard on the carpets. And the carpets are reasonably cheap to have cleaned. I contacted Stanley Steemer and they are scheduled to come out this week. Hopefully this helps because my dogs are all on prednisone now and I'd really like them to come off of it as soon as possible. Hoping this does the trick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs