Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,837,471 times

Advertisements

This woman's face speaks volumes about what is in her heart as she snaps pictures of shelter dogs. Takes a very special person to do this kind of work but we all know the right photo can mean the difference between life and death for many animals.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,892,053 times
That photo made me sob when I saw it on Facebook... and it made me sob again seeing it here.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,837,471 times
Sorry to make you sad Dawn. I debated about even posting this picture but it is so poignant and I bet some never even thought about the VOLUNTEER photographers who take this job on to make a contribution to shelter animals. And the photographer of the photographer obviously recognized the heartbreak of this woman. We all try to do what we can, don't we. Money, time, homes, transportation, food. They all add up.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,892,053 times
No, no, it's good that you posted it. xo

Old 08-29-2012, 04:20 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,445,266 times
I could never do it. In fact, I do not think I can ever go into a shelter again. I would probably punch someone bringing their dog in to die because they are tired of it, or it is inconvenient for them now.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,546,131 times
Yes it would be hard being a photographer for a kill shelter but I think knowing that some dog may be given a 2nd chance because of that photo I took would make it well worth it . I know what a good photo can do! I flew to Texas and adpoted my Chaos because of a photo some such person took!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:15 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,352,493 times
It is very hard to go take pictures but it has to be done.

It's also very hard to go to our county pound when all 12 runs are full and know that I can only pull one or two dogs to take in to foster care.

One time I went with instructions to pull two dogs since two had been adopted and we had room in foster care for two new ones. They place was more than full and I just could not let two other nice young dogs be put down so I took four. The two extra's that I pulled I had to commit to fostering them and one of them wound up being with me for 14 months before she was adoptable. But what really broke my heart was an old black lab that I knew had no chance of being adopted. I wanted to take her and keep her for what ever little time she might have but I already had four other old black labs that I'd adopted in their old age so they could enjoy a little more time and I had two other dogs who'd been with me since they were puppies.

So I had 6 of my own, already had two in foster care and then took on those other two. Yeah, ten dogs, which is a handful even though I'm retired and have the time. On the trip home I stopped and turned around to head back several times, turned again to head home, accepting the fact that I really could not take on one more personal dog and cried every inch of the 10 mile drive.

Recently someone told me that they could never foster because they would want to keep them all and they would cry when the dog got adopted and they had to let go. I hear this statement several times a month (at least) and I finally reached my breaking point. I told the person not to apologize to me (why do they always say they are sorry to me). "Go down to the pound and apologize to the nice dogs there and explain to them that you would rather they die than you should have to shed a few happy tears when they got adopted and you had to let them go to a wonderful new forever home."

This happened at the pet supply store and she hurried away, her feelings obviously hurt. I just really hate it when people tell me how they would love to foster ......................................BUT...

I wind up getting my hopes up that we may have another foster home only to hear that they have no intention of actually doing so.

Rant over.

Time to go fix dinner for my three fosters and my three personal dogs.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:32 AM

18,655 posts, read 33,228,457 times
What a poignant photo. I thank those who are involved on the front lines of rescue and adoption. I get the good end of it- I get to adopt and take somebody home. I really want to support everyone, financially and emotionally, who is involved in shelters and rescue, and hope that my adoptions and other support makes their days a little easier.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:06 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,552,505 times
Love this photo though it makes me cry too.

I'll never forget the dogs I left at the kill shelter when I adopted Nora, especially the one I almost took, who was not there when I went back. Really the images of five of them are just burned into my memory. There was this one pit who had one of those whole body wiggles - she was just a happy, happy, sweet dog - and the owner surrender that happened when I was there, and the poor dog had no idea.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:33 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,624,682 times
Can someone pass me the box of tissues, please?!?!

Amazing picture, my hat is off to her for doing what she does, and everyone else involved in shelter and rescue.

All of mine have been a rescue (of one sort or another) and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.