Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
and your kids? Actually, I would too but it's just me, no family. Folks with kids could have the kids taken away for subjecting them to that.
No. My kids woudl have to sleep outside. They are too noisey and fart a lot. Maybe they can have their own tent, but our tent is for Me, MRs and doggie (well and the birds too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I don't know why, but I would have guessed Mastiffs would be one of the farty breeds. Not so?

Old 12-24-2012, 12:57 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,261 times

My Rescue is bringing us a LOT of happiness and we are loving spoiling her.

She will never have to be in a shelter again..

Old 12-24-2012, 02:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
You said it all, Kudzu - people who are truly backed into a corner? I'll move heaven and earth to help them AND their dog. It is truly pitiful. All that being said, the ones who have allergies and new baby and new carpet and new boyfriend and no desire to participate in their pets' lives...those folks I have no use for. I will help the dog, but the people can shine on.
Allergies can be a legitimate reason. If the allergy is severe enough to cause death, there isn't enough time to find a suitable home. The shelter is the only option.

My husband is dangerously allergic to cats. He dated a girl for 10 years who wouldn't give up her cat to marry him. He finally gave up and broke up with her. I met him four months later. That was over 20 years ago. We have a happy marriage, raised two children to adulthood. I'm glad she didn't find a new home for her cat. I got the most amazing man for a life partner. She's still single after all these years. She'll likely be alone her entire life. It seems that was her goal all along so it was a win/win for everyone.

I firmly believe a pet is a lifetime commitment. I've never had to give one up, except for sending one back to live with my parents briefly after my landlord discovered I was harboring a pet. But I can understand that there are life circumstances where a pet needs to be rehomed. I want my neighbor to find a new home for her dog because she doesn't give it enough attention. Of course, I want to her to rehome it to a nice owner or to a no-kill shelter.

There are many people who keep pets when they shouldn't. Most times, it's best for a pet to be given up by people who don't care about them. The alternative is living with loveless, abusive people. Even though it's Russian roulette, many pets really have a better chance at a happy life at a shelter than staying with people who don't want them, even if that chance means possible death. Death would be better than life of abuse or loneliness.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I decided to share the story of how I got my dog.
At the time my dog was born, I was in major transition in my life, as I was sleeping on a friend's couch.

The friend that I was staying with, owned my dog's mom. So, I got to see my dog, Cerberus, and his litter mates being born. My dog was given to a mutual friend, Sam, who I was spending time with. (He is the one who gave my dog his name of Cerberus)

Sam had to go away for some time, his return date was uncertain. I was asked to keep the dog till he returned.

Well, this little dog is getting bigger and bigger. I spent hours in school and had to leave the dog in the car, my class was in the evening. The way I justified leaving this animal in my car for an hour, short break, hour.. was we would go roller blade every day. I ran that dog till his tongue was dragging. He would pull me around on the blades. Then he would sleep for the few hours in the car.

Anyway, I could barely feed myself. Many meals were sharing a burrito. Or I would buy him food and I wouldn't eat. This dog was with me 7-24. I slept in my car many nights as I was welcome and had places to stay, but not the dog.

My son's father told me, "You need that dog like you need a hole in your head"

I started thinking about the type of life I could give this adorable little puppy and decided the best thing to do was to ask Sam's best friend to keep the dog till Sam returned.

I made the call and took the dog to the friend. The next 4 days were miserable for me. I made up some story about how Sam wanted me keep the dog and I went and got him back.

OMG, that dog was so happy to see me. He would not leave me site for days. I never thought that the dog may have gotten attached to me, I was only thinking that I couldn't provide for him.

Dog's don't care if you live under a rock or in a nice house. If they love you, all they need is you.

Reclaiming him was the best thing I could have ever done. He will be 11 years old here on the 6th.
I have slept in my car with my dog. Hopefully I never have to again, but I certainly would if it came down to it.
What a WONDERFUL story. Thanks for sharing. How true, dogs don't care if you live under a rock or in a nice house. They only love the human, not the world we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs