Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 02:12 PM

369 posts, read 1,959,936 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys -

Sorry to keep hounding everyone for information, but I appreciate the help! Maybe you know from my other threads that we are moving from CA to CT at the end of the school year. I have a Bichon, a black Lab, and 2 cats. I am planning to drive across the country, and I am hoping that you all can tell me the best way to go about it from the standpoint of transporting the pets. Have any of you done this before? One dog is crate trained, the other not, and of course the cats are not. I just imagine some kind of car chaos, and am hoping to avoid that at all costs. Did you stay at pet friendly hotels on the way? How often did you stop for them to get out (the dogs) and run around? And how about the cats - litter boxes or????? I have never done anything like this and really am not sure how to proceed. I want to make sure they are comfortable and safe on the journey. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 02:35 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,334,139 times
We have a black lab and go back and forth from Texas to NM (about a 9-10 hour drive)
First, do some research before you leave and find a pet friendly motel. I think as long as you keep your pets in crates also, the motels may be more accepting.
My dog is a 3 year old, obviously didn't like the car very much and had not been in a crate to my knowledge. She was a wild outside dog.
These nice people on city-data told me how to crate train her and keep her inside and also how to travel with her. It took less than a week to crate train her. We had a harness for her to wear in the truck but somehow it broke so we use a leash. She either looks out the window or she sleeps the whole time we travel. We stopped about 3 times along the way and she never did do her business but she can hold it for a long time.
(That's another thread)
Anyway, I kinda freaked out beforehand on how she was going to handle all this and it turned out fine.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:43 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
Hi Guys -

Sorry to keep hounding everyone for information, but I appreciate the help! Maybe you know from my other threads that we are moving from CA to CT at the end of the school year. I have a Bichon, a black Lab, and 2 cats. I am planning to drive across the country, and I am hoping that you all can tell me the best way to go about it from the standpoint of transporting the pets. Have any of you done this before? One dog is crate trained, the other not, and of course the cats are not. I just imagine some kind of car chaos, and am hoping to avoid that at all costs. Did you stay at pet friendly hotels on the way? How often did you stop for them to get out (the dogs) and run around? And how about the cats - litter boxes or????? I have never done anything like this and really am not sure how to proceed. I want to make sure they are comfortable and safe on the journey. Thanks!
I have a cat and a dog and I plan to drive with them from Los Angeles to Western Ma (near the CT border.) I know from experience that my cat will do okay in the car. I put a litterbox in the car and let him walk around in the car, so he can find a spot that is comfortable. Of course, you must keep the windows up and locked !!! I will probably sleep in the car or find a few hotels along the way. Plenty of rest areas along the way for the dogs.

It's not easy to find a pet friendly motel. In the past, I would sneak my animals in the hotel rather than pay the extra "pet fee."

If you have two cats, you may seriously consider flying them across country, rather than dealing with them in the car. You can find a place that will board the cats and then put them on a plane when it's time. It may be less stressful on all parties. I've flown my cat around the world a few times and he's come out just fine. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Greenie

Old 10-05-2007, 02:55 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,429 times
I just moved from south Florida to NH.. 2 day drive 1,500 miles with a dog and bird.. I made sure to look up pet friendly hotels.. We made stops a couple times and I would only let my dog drink about an hour before we stopped so he was ready to go when we did.. (don't worry I didn't let him go thirsty for hours) ... I had a doggy car car seat that I put up in the back and honestly my dog slept almost 3/4 th the way in the seat/bed... My bird loved looking out the window. The only thing I noticed was my dog did not eat his food for almost two days, I ended up getting some bacon from a resturant just to get him to eat a little something. All in all it was very easy.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,941,024 times
If you'll be driving with your dog across the country, try to fill 4 or 5 gallon jugs with water from home that your pet(s) are used to, and use only that for their drinking water. Different cities and towns might have various chemicals/additives that may upset your pet's tummy--not something you want to happen on a long drive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs