Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,779,931 times

Advertisements

If the dogs are crate-trained, make sure the owner brings the crates. Then you can sleep well at night, knowing there's nothing the dogs can get into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 06:32 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,556,451 times
I would be careful with the cat as while your cat may be a dog chaser and one on one the dogs may be fine with cats the chances of a cat being injured or even killed goes up when you add a 2nd dog or more because then dogs go can go into that pack mentality and see the cat as prey. Since these two do not live with your dog it is something to consider.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:33 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,785,719 times
Here's something: Make sure they come with their current license.

This happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I'm still pissed.

My parents went on a 3-day trip Vegas, Tuesday thru Friday. I dog-sat their dog. Friday afternoon when I got home from work, there's a notice on my door from the Animal control. Just a notice stating if my dogs (I have 2 of my own) aren't licensed, to leave the fees in the envelope and they will pick up the next day. A space was provided with both my dogs' names with a space for their tag numbers if current. They're both current. They do a sweep of the city every couple of years.

I figured they didn't hear 3 dogs barking, as there was no mention on the notice of a 3rd dog. That night, parents pick up their dog. Next day, I leave notice on my door and go about my day. I come home, notice is gone. OK. NEXT SATURDAY, there's a knock on my door, and the a/c officer states she heard a 3rd dog (I'm allowed 2), and wants to know about the dog. I said the dog belongs to my parents, and she went home that Friday night that the notice was left. I guess she misunderstood.

She folded her arms, and said, "yeah, right, uh-huh. I know I heard 3 dogs barking."

Me: "yes, you did. And since you didn't hear me right the first time, I said the 3rd dog went home that night."
She: "who does the dog belong to?"
Me: "my parents"
She: "where to do your parents reside?"
Me: Name of town (not in this jurisdiction)
She: (again, another sarcastic tone) "oh, yeah, really."
Me: "yes. Isn't it convenient that I live between Vegas and their home town? They drop her off and pick her up on their way home. Is it against the law for me to keep their dog for 3 days?"
She: "is the dog licensed?"
Me: "OF COURSE! I'd appreciate it if you took that sarcasm out of your voice, Officer'sname." (yeah, she noticed I got her name)
She: "OK, fine."
Me: "fine"

I got on the phone and made a complaint about her sarcastic attitude.

Next time, I won't open the door.

Just make sure the dogs have current licenses, or don't open the door to animal control.

Keep plenty of plastic bags for picking up after them.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 PM

506 posts, read 1,157,680 times
What kind of license are you talking about?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
What kind of license are you talking about?
Every dog owner is required to get a rabies shot and register their dogs with animal control. The license tag provides evidence of current rabies vaccination and registration. Needs to be renewed every year or so, depending on your jurisdiction.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Every dog owner is required to get a rabies shot and register their dogs with animal control. The license tag provides evidence of current rabies vaccination and registration. Needs to be renewed every year or so, depending on your jurisdiction.
You have to have a license to get a dog? Is that like for every state or just some state?

Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
You have to have a license to get a dog? Is that like for every state or just some state?
As far as I know, every state. You don't need a license to GET a dog, you need the license to legally KEEP the dog.

where are you from?

Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
As far as I know, every state. You don't need a license to GET a dog, you need the license to legally KEEP the dog.

where are you from?
How are they going to enforce it? Going door to door to give people tickets/warnings for not registering their dogs?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:10 PM

36,997 posts, read 41,030,699 times
Quote:
Here's something: Make sure they come with their current license.

This happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I'm still pissed.

My parents went on a 3-day trip Vegas, Tuesday thru Friday. I dog-sat their dog. Friday afternoon when I got home from work, there's a notice on my door from the Animal control. Just a notice stating if my dogs (I have 2 of my own) aren't licensed, to leave the fees in the envelope and they will pick up the next day. A space was provided with both my dogs' names with a space for their tag numbers if current. They're both current. They do a sweep of the city every couple of years.

I figured they didn't hear 3 dogs barking, as there was no mention on the notice of a 3rd dog. That night, parents pick up their dog. Next day, I leave notice on my door and go about my day. I come home, notice is gone. OK. NEXT SATURDAY, there's a knock on my door, and the a/c officer states she heard a 3rd dog (I'm allowed 2), and wants to know about the dog. I said the dog belongs to my parents, and she went home that Friday night that the notice was left. I guess she misunderstood.

She folded her arms, and said, "yeah, right, uh-huh. I know I heard 3 dogs barking."

Me: "yes, you did. And since you didn't hear me right the first time, I said the 3rd dog went home that night."
She: "who does the dog belong to?"
Me: "my parents"
She: "where to do your parents reside?"
Me: Name of town (not in this jurisdiction)
She: (again, another sarcastic tone) "oh, yeah, really."
Me: "yes. Isn't it convenient that I live between Vegas and their home town? They drop her off and pick her up on their way home. Is it against the law for me to keep their dog for 3 days?"
She: "is the dog licensed?"
Me: "OF COURSE! I'd appreciate it if you took that sarcasm out of your voice, Officer'sname." (yeah, she noticed I got her name)
She: "OK, fine."
Me: "fine"

I got on the phone and made a complaint about her sarcastic attitude.

Next time, I won't open the door.

Just make sure the dogs have current licenses, or don't open the door to animal control.

Keep plenty of plastic bags for picking up after them.
Quote:
How are they going to enforce it? Going door to door to give people tickets/warnings for not registering their dogs?
Did you read what Steelstress said?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,779,931 times
Quote:
Or, he can chain them up for three days.
I was serious about the crates My dog and I both sleep better at night when she's in a crate. She sleeps better because she's not eating garbage or shoes or opening the pantry to gnaw on food packages. I sleep better because I know there won't be a mess when I wake up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs