Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,202,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Most labs do live indoors. As do most Great Danes.
Yep...mine do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Don't be too sure about either of those statements. Most of the ones I know that live in a high income neighborhood have no fences.

Also, my two dogs are approximately Lab size and are indoor dogs. In my opinion an outside dog is an unwanted dog....
You would be wrong.

Our hunting dogs do not like being in the house for long periods of time.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM

741 posts, read 1,672,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Here's something: Make sure they come with their current license.

You ain't kiddin' !! About a month ago, the vet hands me Tiny's little tag, after giving him the rabies vaccination, and tells me to make sure that Tiny is wearing it at all times.... I'm like, "Tiny isn't going to be roaming around outside!" The vet told me that even if he is in my arms that I must be able to produce his license tag! This is for an itty-bitty chihuahua puppy..
So always have a license available "just in-case"..

Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,080,814 times
Just say No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I have been asked to overnight dog sit two labradors.
I'm thinking about all the possibilities, but I'm sure I'm forgetting to consider some of them.

Anyone done this before, and things did not quite go the way you expected?

My pet is not a dog, so no experiences with dogs.

1. dogs don't let me get any sleep.
2. dogs need to go to the vet.
3. dogs damage something in the house, or yard, or the neighbor's yard.
4. ooops, I have run out of possibilities. Tell me the others.

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:53 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,201,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
You need to go watch the movie Hachi.
I have

Old 09-15-2012, 03:57 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,201,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You would be wrong.

Our hunting dogs do not like being in the house for long periods of time.
I'm sure you meant I "could" be wrong

I have a tendency to not think outside of the box when I am thinking of dogs living outside, I'm used to our climate and well even the hunting dogs have indoor/outdoor kennels due to the extreme temperatures.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I'm sure you meant I "could" be wrong

I have a tendency to not think outside of the box when I am thinking of dogs living outside, I'm used to our climate and well even the hunting dogs have indoor/outdoor kennels due to the extreme temperatures.
I am in Michigan.

That is why the kennel has a heated floor where thier sleep boxes are.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:04 PM

14,365 posts, read 20,439,691 times
I met the dogs and the owner today. Both dogs enter and leave the house as they wish. They know when to go outside for their business. They are both 12-13 years old and have trained themselves to a set schedule. Before the owner retires for the day, she goes outside to the fenced in back yard. The dogs follow. They know what this is for. In under 5-10 minutes, it is back inside for the night. They have food and water both inside and outside. Very friendly dogs. There is no fence around the front yard and no invisible fence. To eliminate the chance of a runaway, it was decided that the dogs would stay inside the house or in the back yard, no front yard. Just on the side of caution. Her husband said the likelihood of that event, is about as likely as Tennessee winning the Super Bowl = zero. No offense to that team. Due to their age, they are not running around like chickens. It's going to be a very peaceful, non event, event.
(I think)

Old 09-23-2012, 05:53 PM

14,365 posts, read 20,439,691 times
The 2.5 days, went about as they told me. There was very little sitting to it.
The pets have had a daily schedule for years, and it pretty much went that way.
I was pleased with the perks of the job like satellite TV, free food, DSL internet.
The dogs were playful and friendly, little or no evidence of shedding. Our cat sheds more than their dogs.
The family enjoyed their short trip down south. Nothing but positives.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,622,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
There was very little sitting to it.
This is so cute! Glad to hear it went well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs