Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,399,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Mr. skeptic here.

I have never feed pumpkin to my dogs and I never heard of this until coming to this forum.

Does this really work that well/fast and are there any side effects like, working to well? Is constipation a concern?

I hate trying something new at a time when time can be a issue.
Oh heck yah it works! We had a puppy that came to use with Giardia, tape worm and hook worm. From what we could find out, the poor baby had NEVER had a normal BM. It took us 3 months to treat and get his system "rebooted" Pumpkin played a big part in that! Its almost pure fiber so it slows things down and adds bulk. Since its natural it works without creating concerns for constipation (Asked the Vet why it worked so well. This was his answer)

We now have a 7 1/2 moth old with normal potty habits and always have a can of pumpkin in the pantry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 12:33 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,849,745 times
sno, pumpin is just pretyt much pure fiber and water assuming its not got added sugar and junk, so in a loose dog it adds fiber to "bind" everythign together, and in a constipated dog the fiber acts a a "brush as the moisture helps loosen the impacted yuck causing the constipation...some vets will suggest metimucil ect for these issues butive found pumpin to be much more effective (and cheaper)
and yeah suprisingly it does work that quick, primairly because of the way the dogs digestie sytem works, and how fast moisture ich natural fiber works through the system too, i generally expect to see "results" from adding pumpkin in 8-12 hours in an otherwise health digestive system.

i was told to use the pumpkin by my vet years ago, and when i started wiking as a vet assist i saw it used on a regular basis in the clinic for dogs with consitpation or upset tummies with no underlying "reason" (ie thyd already been checked forbockage worms ect and notheing was found.

ive also seen it used extensizly as an after stomach surgery additive when the person or animal needs fiber to get thigns moving (or help slow things from moving), but stimulative laxatives or chemical antidiahhreals are not safe due to healing surgery sites ect...it helps naturally regulate without the stimulants and wihtout the risks that other types of fiber can cause (ietoo much metemucil can cause constipation rather than cure it...pumpkin doesnt seem to have that effect...

it also aparently digests in such a way that unlike kibbl which seems ot retain some "fod like" ordor to a dogs nose (and otentially nutritents too which is belived to cause poop eating) to a dog pumpkin smells yummy the first time but after its been through the system smells absolutluy horrible to them so it became an aparent treatment for poop eaters too lol

it works for people too, about a table spoon a day to help keep things regular. i usually try and blend it in a smoothie because i dont actually like the taste of pumpkin, but after having stomach surgery i need "easy fiber" since my body can no longer get the same nutrients out of more complex foods.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:44 AM

113 posts, read 252,167 times
Wow! I am going to give my husband a pumpkin smoothie tomorrow! Thank you foxy!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:49 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Our new husky puppy has had the runs ever since we got him home last sunday. He is 10 weeks old The breeder fed him Eukenuba puppy food and we are feeding him Canidae ALS. The vet gave him some anti-diarrhea medicine but it doesn't seem to be helping. The vet says it could be the stress from leaving its mother and home or possibly the change in food. he also tends to eat stuff he finds outside. I know that Canidae is a better quality food than the Eukenuba. My wife wants to put him back on the Eukenuba but I want to keep him on the canidae since our other 3 dogs eat that. He has been given a clean bill of health by the vet, we just need to stop the diarrhea. What do yall think? Thanks for any advice.

Give him ground cooked deer meat (if possible), brown rice, and cottage cheese all mixed up and gatorade to keep him hydrated or you can use Pedialyte. That should help stop the issue within a short period of time. The problem I think is switching over from one food to the next without introducing the new food in small doses over a period of time to give the body time to adjust to the new food.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times
Love pumpkin, it's fantastic for stomach issues...again, like foxy said, the 100% pumpkin and not the pie filling. Also, I'd add a little plain yogurt to the diet to "reboot" the flora in the gut; sometimes it gets seriously wonky (that's a medical term - wonky ) Pumpkin is vitamin rich, too - it's a regular part of my dogs' diet.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:05 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,116 times
It usually doesn't take a whole can of pumpkin to get a dog back in good shape so you can take it and put it in to ice cube trays and freeze it. Once frozen, pop them out and put in a ziploc bag and you've got about the right amount to add once it's thawed.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Wow...Some really fantastic tips....and I am gonna have pumpkin on hand from now on.....

Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Give him ground cooked deer meat (if possible), brown rice, and cottage cheese all mixed up and gatorade to keep him hydrated or you can use Pedialyte. That should help stop the issue within a short period of time. The problem I think is switching over from one food to the next without introducing the new food in small doses over a period of time to give the body time to adjust to the new food.
I also believe that this what we did wrong. He had a loose stool last night so we are now gonna give him pumpkin twice a day and also limit the amount of food he gets down to 1/4 cup twice a day. He was eating alot so that may have also been a cause.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:57 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,849,745 times
plese DONT give gatoraid...its full of sugar (and for the 0 cal full of artificial sugar...) plain unflavored pedialyte or low sodium chicken or beef broth should be ofered IF hes showing signs of dehydration...

if hes a chow hound you may have found your culprit, dogs that eat too much often give themselves upset tummies...if hes eating right for his age but still acting hungry greanbeans are a great "bulker" as a suppliment to his food, theyll help him feel full without adding calories or junk and will add fiber

zugor, never thought about freezing pumkin like that GREAT idea!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:38 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
plese DONT give gatoraid...its full of sugar (and for the 0 cal full of artificial sugar...) plain unflavored pedialyte or low sodium chicken or beef broth should be ofered IF hes showing signs of dehydration...

if hes a chow hound you may have found your culprit, dogs that eat too much often give themselves upset tummies...if hes eating right for his age but still acting hungry greanbeans are a great "bulker" as a suppliment to his food, theyll help him feel full without adding calories or junk and will add fiber

zugor, never thought about freezing pumkin like that GREAT idea!
We decided to give him 1/4 cup in the late morning and then boiled chicken and rice in the late afternoon. We will see what that does for his tummy.

What type of greenbeans should we try if we go that route?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs