U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:20 PM

17,821 posts, read 16,403,254 times

Advertisements

Our new husky puppy has had the runs ever since we got him home last sunday. He is 10 weeks old The breeder fed him Eukenuba puppy food and we are feeding him Canidae ALS. The vet gave him some anti-diarrhea medicine but it doesn't seem to be helping. The vet says it could be the stress from leaving its mother and home or possibly the change in food. he also tends to eat stuff he finds outside. I know that Canidae is a better quality food than the Eukenuba. My wife wants to put him back on the Eukenuba but I want to keep him on the canidae since our other 3 dogs eat that. He has been given a clean bill of health by the vet, we just need to stop the diarrhea. What do yall think? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,556,326 times
it can take up to 4 weeks for a body to adapt to a new food, exspecially when that new food is soo much better (the body essneitally has to detox)
however the canidea might be too rich.

assuming hes had a clean bill for worms...id try offering a table spoon of canned pumpkin every day with his morning meal (not pie filling make sure its natural with no added sugar) pumpkin is pretty muhc pure fiber and will help bind everything together without "drying" him out
if after some pumpkin treatment and another couple weeks on canidea hes still having an icky belly (or it gets worse) id try going for a different food...i would NOT go back to eukanuba, butid go for soemthing not quite as rich...or mabe a ifferent protein source.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:56 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,862,426 times
I agree 100% with Foxywench on this. The pumpkin should help and the Eukanuba, I would not go back too. IMHO.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:25 AM

1,464 posts, read 2,605,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Our new husky puppy has had the runs ever since we got him home last sunday. He is 10 weeks old The breeder fed him Eukenuba puppy food and we are feeding him Canidae ALS. The vet gave him some anti-diarrhea medicine but it doesn't seem to be helping. The vet says it could be the stress from leaving its mother and home or possibly the change in food. he also tends to eat stuff he finds outside. I know that Canidae is a better quality food than the Eukenuba. My wife wants to put him back on the Eukenuba but I want to keep him on the canidae since our other 3 dogs eat that. He has been given a clean bill of health by the vet, we just need to stop the diarrhea. What do yall think? Thanks for any advice.
Have never heard of Canidae? Our dog eats Little Caesars or Beneful and seems to be fine on both. In between for snacks we feed her carrots..raw carrots..she loves them. Try feeding the puppy food with some rice in it. If the Canidae has a flavor that does have rice it should help with the diarrhea.

When the Pup goes outside, probably would be best to supervise him to see what it is that he is eating. Sometimes dogs will eat feces..sick thought but I have seen dogs I have owned in the past take a "taste" and it is not good..can make them sick. Not sure how to spell this but the problem of eating feces is called cogaphobia (pronounced caw-ghaa-pho-beee-ahh) There is a medicine you can get from the vet that you sprinkle on their food and when they go to the bathroom it is in their pooo and it smells awful to them.

Good luck with your new pup

Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 AM

15,774 posts, read 18,193,854 times
My Mom use to give cooked rice for diarrhea. Try the pumpkin. Switching so abruptly probably wasn't wise. You need to introduce small amounts, and gradually increase the amounts of new food until you have completely replaced the old food w/ the new. It takes 1 to 2 weeks...
Milk?? if there is milk product added to the food, or introduced to puppy...Could he be lactose intolerant?
Also, like the other poster said, go out w/ puppy, do not let the new puppy be out unsupervised while he is ill. Maybe there is a plant he is eating??
My dog loves fresh veggies, carrots, snow peas, cherry tomatoes (only a couple occasionally).
Good luck....something like this is very serious, like w/ a baby....dehydration can be very dangerous.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:47 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,381,740 times
Pick up all the poop in your yard and every time your pup poops.
The stuff your pup is eating is it's own poop.

There is stuff like( For-bid) that you can get from your vet,it will make the pups poop taste bad.

next,
pumpkin is one idea.
If it was my pup.
Rice with boiled hamburger and a spoonful of cottage cheese.

Until the diarrhea subsides, then mix in whatever puppy chow you choose.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 AM

pammyd, have you ever read the ingredients on the bag of benefull, not an ounce of REAL meat in it, first ingredient is corn...(which is quickly rerouted as poop since dogs (like humans0 cannot digest corn) and meat BYPRODUCT (beaks feet and feathers as the pet industry calls it) its esentially like eating meat flavore cardboard in terms of quality.
Canidea is a GREAT quality food, but for a young pup it can sometime sjust be too rich and take a while to adjust to.

in terms of switching slowly, theres actually 2 lanes of thought on this, 1 is swtch slowly to avoid digestive upset..but when feeding a food laden with corn (junk) this can actually be harder onthe body.
the other is pull the old feed "fast" the dog for 12-24 ours depending on age then start the new feed, expect some stomach upset as the body etoxes form the old food whihc can be managed by going blankd with rice an dboiled chicken or ground beef (fat drained off no seasoning) or by adding a fiberous product liek pumpkin to help as the body goe sin overdrive flusing the junk left behind from corn and soy ladens products.

i dont do "slow switches anymore" i found it would take 2-3 months to see the benefits of the better food when doing a slow switch...whereas it would only take 2-4 weeks to se the benefits by doing a quick switch with no "wean off"

pumpkin also helps with poop eating too

Old 09-15-2012, 09:50 AM

17,821 posts, read 16,403,254 times
Thanks everyone, I went and got a can of pumpkin last night and gave him a teaspoon last night. This morning was his first hard poop since we got him. Hopefully our problem is now solved but I will keep updating.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:19 AM

Yay!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,381,740 times
Mr. skeptic here.

I have never feed pumpkin to my dogs and I never heard of this until coming to this forum.

Does this really work that well/fast and are there any side effects like, working to well? Is constipation a concern?

I hate trying something new at a time when time can be a issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or