Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:01 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,350,039 times

Advertisements

I love both the look and the smarts of border coolies but limit my enjoyment of them to watching videos of other peoples b/cs working at herding or playing at flyball.

One of the senior dogs I adopted was (best guess) a golden/great pyr mix and he was wonderful. It was so sad to loose him after just a year. He started out wanting to eat the cat but in time that changed and they became great friends and she loved to snuggle in his thick fur.

Another of my seniors was a Newfie/black lab mix and I learned that if you're single you better have a plan if he becomes ill and can not walk. I could not lift that 105 lb dog by my self to get him in to the car and was lucky that my neighbor, a former army ranger was home and came to help me.

I still really love the look of Irish Setters even though it's been 40 years since I last owned one. Many people think they are total air heads but I found that they are trainable. It just takes a lot to get their attention. A 2 x 4 didn't cut it, ya need at least a 4 x 6. Yes, I'm joking about using lumber to get their attention.

I once had three Aussie pups in foster care for about two months. What an exhausting handful. But very cute and fun.

I had a wolf/dog in foster care for just a couple of days and he was stunning and very sweet but it was so sad knowing that I could never really trust him. My HS found a sanctuary to take him but it does make me sad to know that he will live the majority of the rest of his life in a 20 x 20 cage.

Lots of wonderful breeds out there but at my age and stamina level I'll stick with the senior black labs who are more my speed and generally very easy keepers, even if they are serious bed hogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 10:45 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,350,998 times
I've had some very good rottie friends over the years, and I really love them. I would have been glad to have one when I was younger. Now, at my age, I couldn't handle a young boisterous dog of that size. It would have to be a very senior rottie. I feel like Hopes theoretically, that I don't want a dog too big for me to pick up. But I had one after the other that was too big in the past. I could pick up my current 55 lb pitties at first, but now it would be difficult. In an emergency, I could probably rise to the occasion. I do feel leery of having a dog much larger than that now. So I'm not sure I'd have even a senior rottweiler. No matter what, you'll never have all the dogs you want! That just wouldn't be possible.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,670,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
No matter what, you'll never have all the dogs you want! That just wouldn't be possible.
I have dreams of a big pack of Basset Hounds running around on a farm.

They look so adorable, and then I realize how much poop would need to be scoped.

Imagine 50 of these dudes running around!

Funniest Basset Hound Video Ever! - YouTube

Old 05-17-2014, 12:33 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,350,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have dreams of a big pack of Basset Hounds running around on a farm.

They look so adorable, and then I realize how much poop would need to be scooped.
And chances are that if you lived somewhere big enough to accommodate dozens of dogs then there would be NO garbage collection, you would have to load it all up in your vehicle and take it to dumpsters or the dump. I did that one hot summer day and went back in the house for something. Forgot about the loaded car overnight.

Next day I had to open all doors on the Suburban for half an hour before I could stand to get in it and drive just one mile to the dumpsters, head hanging out the window like a dog.

Don't forget that you'd also need to got to someplace like Costco and bring home 30 bags of dog food at a time so the dogs could create all that poop. but if you ask at member services they will happily give you two guys to load it all on your carts and then in to your car after you go through the check out and spend a grand on dog and cat food every three months.

But it is totally worth it if you can create such a situation.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:40 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,350,998 times
I just thought of another one lol. Has anyone seen the Angie's list commercial with the woman who rescued the big white and grey I-don't-know-what? That dog is simply stunning IMO. With 5 animals in the house, I deal with plenty of fur cleanup. And I've had a chow chow mix before, and a couple of long haired dogs, so I've done my share of grooming. But that dog's coat would be too much for me. Still, every time I see that commercial, I think how gorgeous the dog is.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:19 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,997,924 times
German Shepherd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs