Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:48 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
When all the "holistic" options fail this is what a responsible dog owner does. Its possible that your dog could have contracted a parasite such as Tape Worm or Giardia from other dogs stools. Please go to the vet with a "fresh" stool sample from your dog for testing.

Let us know how he is doing!
Yes, please do include the freshest stool sample. Any evidence the vet can have help in a large way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,792 times
The vet didn't find anything wrong..

Old 09-21-2012, 06:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
The vet didn't find anything wrong..
I hate when that happens -- when you're looking for a solution for something that's deemed not to be a problem.

Does Bentley STILL have diarrhea???

My dog, Artie, has a very sensitive tummy. I'll tell you the one thing, though, that sets his stomach off like nothing else: cheese. Any time that I give him cheese, even though he loves it, his stomach revolts. Not only does he get diarrhea, there's BLOOD in it. I don't think that cheese bothered him when I first got him, but now it's the worst thing that he can get into. Just like in people, a dog's tolerances can change within their lifetime; even new allergies can sprout up any time.

Do you give Bentley cheese as a treat? If so, maybe stop for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

Also, you said that his diet hasn't changed, which I take to mean that he's getting the same kibble as he's always eaten. However, even if you got the same brand and flavor, it doesn't mean that the company hasn't changed its formula. Even a slight change in formula could have "funny" results at the beginning. Did you start a new bag of kibble right before he started having diarrhea?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Maybe something got into his dry food. Can you pick up a new bag....just in case. I think dogs can get flu....Is there a fresh grassy spot to take him....like your parents over the weekend...Let him eat some fresh grass...It always seems to help my dog if she has a belly ache or anything. Sorry about your dog feeling sick. It's hard when we don;t know what is causing it. Hang in there.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 PM

16 posts, read 30,264 times
It could be he developed an allergy to something in his food over time. This actually pretty common. There are lots of foods out there with limited ingredient diets like Natural Balance to minimize the things your dog could potentially react to. One of my dogs has a duck and grains allergy so we feed him their L.I.D. sweet potato & chicken food, which he does great on.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:50 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
My husky had a sensitive GI. I gave her cooked rice 2/day with her regular food, but somedays went light on her canned food or omitted it altogether if stomach a problem. Then, I'd give her rice with dry food. She lived on rice and it helped her a lot.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:02 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,792 times
Today was the first day his stool has been pick-up-able. We're making progress somewhere. Rice and pumpkin have helped. We're I live nice, fresh, grass that isn't destroyed in a matter of days is tough to find (even at a dog park, we live downtown) but there is some suitable grass we've been taking him to also. I switched his food a few weeks before his stomach has been messed up and I don't know if I should change it again, so soon.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I wonder if the grass was fertilized or sprayed with something recently that upset his tummy.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:18 PM

95 posts, read 82,584 times
Give a de-wormer and see if the diarrhea stops. Also Manuka honey is good for upset stomachs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs