U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM

21,463 posts, read 54,586,659 times

Advertisements

It is my belief that every family is treated to one BDE (Best Dog Ever). At some point they just get that one dog against whom all other dogs pale in comparison. It seems that every family gets one and only one. Other dogs are good or great, but just do not rise to the level of that BDE.

For me as a kid it was Snoopy a beagle border collie mix. When we were kids she did everything with us. She climbed the ladder on payground slides and slid down, swang on swings, climbed apple trees and helped us pick apples (after a while she even learned to put them in the bushel basket undamaged rather then chewing them up). If we swam, she swam. In the car, she stood in the way back of the station wagon and rested her head on top of one of our heads. She knew when we were sad or stressed and comforted us. When my high school girlfriend dumped me, Snoopy was the only one who knew about it, she sat with me and cried with me all night. She played dogzilla wth our "Panels and Girders" building set destroying any building and sending plastic soldiers flying on command. She transported up to 5 Gi-Joe dolls with their arms suck through her collar and never complained and never ate a Joe. She would dig where we said to dig, climb anything we did. Chase and bark at anythign or anyone we told her to. We had other dogs, but thre was never another Snoopy or anything like her before or after. When she died, I was about 26 and lived 3300 miles away and had a family of my own. I cried all night.

Our family (meaning my wife and offspring) had Tigger (english Mastiff). He was a big doofus. Nothing like Snoopy, but awesome in his own way. He was dumb dumb dumb. But incredibly sweet. There was something unique about his temperment. Like snoopy, he was very good at reading moods and responding. He was also very compliant. When our youngest son was about four, he would direct Tigger to different parts of the house, command him to lie down and then lie on top of Tigger and take a nap. Tigger would not move, not for food or kitties until our little guy woke up. Part of his charm was his stupidity. When he first encounterd a frozen pond the he used to splach iand swim in, he stood on it and barked at the ice for an hour. He was comepltely puzzeled by anyhting different and it was cute, even when he was old. I am not sure exactly what it was, but everyone agrees he was our BDE. We buried him under a tree. A A weeping willow (named the Tigger tree) It is now 30 feet tall. Everyone loves the Tigger tree just because it is the Tigger tree. We have had other dogs before and after. We have met other dogs in other families that we thing are wonderful dogs, but never a one comparable to Tigger.

Who was you BDE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 AM

1,270 posts, read 2,659,962 times
My BDE is always whatever dog is in my life at the time (now I have two BDE's).

All my past dogs have been unique in their own way so it's literally impossible for me to single one out as being the best.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 AM

21,463 posts, read 54,586,659 times
So much for my theory.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM

568 posts, read 761,040 times
I have a Doberman that is 22 weeks old and he's turning out to be the BDE. Very smart and loyal.

But as a kid I do remember Hutch. Hutch was a boxer/pitt mix or atleast thats what he looked like. He was beautiful dog even though he was a mutt. He would jump and wrestle on the trampoline with me and I remember that being so much fun. He was very protective over me as well.

I remember my dad would have friends come over to play cards and drink on Friday nights and me and Hutch would sit on the couch and watch tv. Hutch didn't mind my dad's friends as long as they weren't near me but if my dad's friends would try to come close to me, he would look right at them and would make it known that they were not welcome to come any closer. He did not like strangers being around me. I miss that dog.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 AM

7,326 posts, read 11,493,960 times
Don't give up yet, I can remember several posters here referring to their "heart" dog.
Of the 5 dogs we've owned,my husband daughter and I agree. They all are or were wonderful, each in their own special way but our chow mix was a dog like no other for us. I can't tell any special cute stories of things that she did that made it so. There was just something about the way she carried herself and expressed her love for us, her stubborn quirky way of thinking. It's very hard to put into words, but we all feel the same way. When we got her she was about a year and a half old and while she liked us, she didn't see us as the boss of her at first. She never bit, but she made a warning move toward me with her mouth a couple of times, growled a few other times. Not having much experience with dogs yet, this caught me off-guard, but we worked through it and it's hard for me to remember now that she was anything but affectionate. Funny that with time she is the one that would steal our hearts the most. We were blessed to have her for more than 14 years, as that block headed, stubborn, sweet old lady just kept going. There's one certain picture I took of her that my husband has told me to put in the casket with him when he's gone. Oh, he wants a picture of me and my daughter too, but any old picture will do for ours! For Daddy's Little Princess as we used to call her, it has to be the picture of her lying under the Christmas tree.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:48 AM

1,270 posts, read 2,659,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
So much for my theory.
Hey, that's just me. Like dogs, we are all different. (;

Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 AM

743 posts, read 892,201 times
Of course, Cerberus is my BDE for the last 11 years as we have been through so many things with each other.

Many years before I had a little dog, I named her Crutches. I found her under our car in the snow. I lived in an apartment building that did not allow pets. And it had a security door. She was so smart, she would pody on command and with a snap jump back into my arms to hide under my coat so we didn't get caught. I lived in Missouri when I found her and brought her to Cali with me. Everybody called her the human dog, she just had so much personality. I could fill pages with stories of my little Crutches.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM

24,852 posts, read 29,269,287 times
If I had to pick ONE it would be a German Shepard female we called Lady.

She shared in all of my childhood.

All of my dogs since owe thanks to her......she taught me what love dogs have.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM

5,662 posts, read 3,925,917 times
I bought 2 Long Haired German Shepherds (sisters) as pups 3 years ago and they're the first dogs i've ever owned.

As they're great and I wouldn't be without them I think they may set the benchmark.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 AM

4,257 posts, read 8,843,669 times
Jazz was my BDE. I call her my once in a life time dog. Granted she was never an easy dog and maybe it is all the work I had to put into her and all the things I learned about dogs because of her that made her so special.I had dogs my whole life and read about dogs my whole life.. well once I could read that is but I never really knew dogs until Jazz.

I got her as puppy but had I listened to what the experts say I would not have adopted her as she was the fearful puppy they warn you to stay away from. But she stole my heart and I figured I could help her. After our 14.5 yrs together I figure she was meant to be mine because so many people would have given up on her or even dumped her in their back yard and being that at 14 weeks she was able to scale a 6 ft fence she probably would have died young not at 14.5 yrs.In that way she was a gift to me.

I worked hard to socialize her and get her past her fears but she never got totally over her fears. She was a border collieX Cattle dog mix so by nature she was bossy and wanted control but she was really a coward too and used aggression to control other dogs and vets. She never accepted strange dogs in her face. With dogs that she was friends with she was great and loved to play as long as they followed her rules. I think she thought she was always right because she would argue with me about everything ( aarooooo whooooo). As a puppy I really did not like her after a few days but I knew I could never get rid of her so I put a lot of hard work into her.

She became my best friend and the smartest dog I have ever known as she understood so many words and was good at figuring things out . She loved a challenge and she loved to figure out what made things move. I think she was a mechanical engineer in a previous life! She became my agility team partner and did not like to make mistakes out there . If she skipped a weave pole and I callled her on it she would argue with me! She became my best friend that could read my mood very well and when I needed a laugh she found one to give me and when I needed to cry she was there to cry on. She was so intune to me and so much my dog.I loved her more then I have ever loved another dog and doubt if I will ever love one as much again.

I got Dash when he was 1 and Jazz was 2 and I use to tell them that Yes Dash was adopted but that Jazz was my real baby. part human part dog.. as yes she was that smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs