Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 AM

757 posts, read 1,328,084 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had a dog that just seemed to be always getting hurt? My dog, Thora, yes, the female, has been injured more then any 3 dogs combined I have had.

Her first injury, the dreaded injured tail. Thora is a wagger. Her whole behind moves when she wags. She came in the house, her tail was bleeding. I got it wrapped up, the bleeding would stop, then company would stop by and she would wag that bandage right off and smack that tail on the wall. Really my house looked like a war zone.
I took her to the vet the day after it happened. He said, "Amputate it" I was very surprised and was not ready to give up on the tail, it had only been a few days. I have had other dogs with tail injuries, much worse, smashed in car doors, they healed.
A good 4 or 5 months later, the tip of the tail looked almost healed, just a little oozing. I had told everybody they could not come over to visit, seemed to be healing, I went on an errand with my sister and when I came home, this is what her tail looked like, (it's gross, warning now)

She went in that day and had the tail amputated.

Then shortly after that, she came in the house and had cut a big chunk off her pad,

Another trip to the emergency room to be told they wanted about 600.00 to stitch it up, with sedating her and all.. I had them wrap it, I took her home. Still had some of her sedatives and pain pills from the tail, so I medicated her and snipped it off with some clippers. Soaked it in Epsom Salt several times and it healed great.

Then she came in the house, getting blood all over again,

I think she was over on the wood pile, looking for lizards and cut it on a nail

She was digging for gophers or mice at the park and tore one of her toe nails, I took her to the vet, as I wanted him to trim it so it did not get caught on something and get ripped off her toe. The vet removed her nail.

Most recently, about a month ago, she picked up a new way to pass the time,

She sits and stares through the fence at the little dog next door. Harmless way to pass the time.

Not for Thora.

She tried to stick her face through the little hole where there was a broken fence board.

The little scab face was not what worried me,

it was the tooth she broke,

Back to the doctor. In examining her mouth he asked what tooth I was concerned about. "The one there in front that is pushed back, broken off.." He chuckled and let me know that she had one broken tooth, one with a chip out of it and one is cracked.

Do you have a furry problem child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 07:28 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
I am afraid to touch this thread for fear of jinxing myself. So far though, so good on our front.

Yes, "happy tail" can be an ongoing ordeal I know one client who was well into it for nearly $1,000 and yes they had it amputated, but she kept getting to the sutures and they had to double cone her with the cone of shame!Double coning was seeming to work until she wanted to board her. Sure we could remove for feeding, but she would not have continual access to water. It was dead of Summer when everyone is booked up, well I'm on good ranks with most of the vet clinics in town. She was able to board her at the vet and they actually numbed the tail daily while the dog was boarding so it would not tempt her

I hope your baby grows out of this stage

Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
It looks like you just need to wrap her in chain mael then bubble wrap around that........LOL

Old 09-26-2012, 07:37 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,416,292 times
Holy cow, no! Thora, you're adorable but you're a walking disaster!
5 dogs and 3 cats that I've owned, lets see how many accidents total. One dog cut his tongue licking the opening of an empty pop can. Bled like crazy, but no vet trip needed. One dog, mysterious cut on side needed stitches. One dog came to us with "happy tail", not as bad as Thora's by far, didn't get worse once she was in a home rather than a small kennel, still has a callused bald spot 3 years later. One cat broke a front tooth, probably chewing on something hard. Had yearly checkup soon after, vet said it was OK. Happy tail dog caught dewclaw on something, not as bad as Thora, no treatment needed. I'm thinking hard and that's all I can come up with. 8 animals, not as many accidents as Thora.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,472,875 times
Haha, poor Thora! She needs to have a protective aura around her or something. My dog isn't really a problem furry, but he likes to pretend to be injured or hurt. I normally take him for mile-long walks alone (well, just me and him), but when my husband came along last night, he pretended to have a hurt paw because he wanted to be carried the rest of the way home. Once we got home, he ran around playing with our cat for the rest of the night on his "bad" paw.

So I would say he's a "problem furry kid" in a way that he wants to be spoiled so he feigns injury

We've caught on to him though!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,305 times
Poor, Poor Thora! My fur-kids can't compare. I will say, I had an Am Staff a few years back and she LOVED getting into the ant traps we set in the bathroom. First time I rushed her to the vet, they gave her the reversal stuff. I was really concerned she had eaten the little metal can the ant bait was in. I didn't want it to rip open her stomach or lower GI but turned out she did not eat it... Only the sugar based bait.

Then, we started shutting the bathroom door...except, somehow it didn't get shut. That was a second trip to the vet. Her eyes were glazed by the time I caught it. I was freaking out...

Third time, yes...third time (swear she knew how to open that flipping door). I promised the vet, I was not trying to do this on purpose. (IF I were, I would not have brought her in the last three times...)

So, my Happy dog and her sweet tooth just about did her in...we switched to the ant dust...and had no more problems.

Man, I miss that ole girl...!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:09 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
Poor pup!!! Max has been pretty lucky so far...knock on wood!! He thinks he's a cat sometimes though and he's always jumping on and off things which worries me. He's a doxie and I don't want him to hurt his back.

Here's hoping Thora stays accident free for awhile!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I am afraid to touch this thread for fear of jinxing myself. So far though, so good on our front.

Yes, "happy tail" can be an ongoing ordeal I know one client who was well into it for nearly $1,000 and yes they had it amputated, but she kept getting to the sutures and they had to double cone her with the cone of shame!Double coning was seeming to work until she wanted to board her. Sure we could remove for feeding, but she would not have continual access to water. It was dead of Summer when everyone is booked up, well I'm on good ranks with most of the vet clinics in town. She was able to board her at the vet and they actually numbed the tail daily while the dog was boarding so it would not tempt her

I hope your baby grows out of this stage
Thora has spent a good number of months of her life with the dreaded cone head. lol.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Poor pup!!! Max has been pretty lucky so far...knock on wood!! He thinks he's a cat sometimes though and he's always jumping on and off things which worries me. He's a doxie and I don't want him to hurt his back.

Here's hoping Thora stays accident free for awhile!
Me too. Her poor toe nail has not grown back yet. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Holy cow, no! Thora, you're adorable but you're a walking disaster!
5 dogs and 3 cats that I've owned, lets see how many accidents total. One dog cut his tongue licking the opening of an empty pop can. Bled like crazy, but no vet trip needed. One dog, mysterious cut on side needed stitches. One dog came to us with "happy tail", not as bad as Thora's by far, didn't get worse once she was in a home rather than a small kennel, still has a callused bald spot 3 years later. One cat broke a front tooth, probably chewing on something hard. Had yearly checkup soon after, vet said it was OK. Happy tail dog caught dewclaw on something, not as bad as Thora, no treatment needed. I'm thinking hard and that's all I can come up with. 8 animals, not as many accidents as Thora.
Thora has taught me that most of the time, things are not as urgent as they seem at the first drop of blood. Many injuries do not require a trip to the vet. Dogs do have an amazing ability to heal. Never really had any cats..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs