Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

I live in the country. Most of my neighbors have dogs and most of us control our animals at all times.
My neighbor who I know for 12 years is a really nice guy, but doesn't keep his dogs in his own yard.
a few weeks ago someone shot one of his dogs wounding it. The dog needed to be put down.
My neighbor is understandably upset and we all pretty much know who the jerk is that shot the dog.
The rub is that my neighbors dogs are a royal pain. They are little ankle bighter cross breeds like pug with llasso or whatever. They run in your yard and bark at you, dig in your flower bed etc.
Knowing that I am a dog lover he was telling me about it.

Me: The jerk should be arrested for what he did, but you own some blame too. Your dogs are always in other people's yards barking. They have even run in my house when I opened my door to get the paper.

Neighbor: I thought you were better than this. Don't you care that we have someone shooting our dogs?

Me: Of course I care, but unless he comes on my property he will never get a chance to do it. If that happens I'll tag him myself.

Neighbor: So what you're saying is it's all my fault?

Me: No, what I am saying is as an owner you failed your pet.

We can't control who we have for neighbors, but we should be able to control our pets. When we don't we fail our pets. It is only by the grace of god his dogs havn't been hit by a car. There are literally skid marks in the road in front of our houses because of his dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 08:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
wonder if this is the first time anybody has let him know what a nuisance his dogs are? unless somebody actually complains to him, he probably isn't aware of how much stress they are causing. country people especially irk me with this lazy attitude about dogs. hopefully since he has lost a dog now he will see he has some responsibility in this. Do you have an animal control you can call?

Old 09-29-2012, 08:17 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I think there are many people who do not believe in keeping pets inside or having a fenced yard. It is a mindset that I just do not understand, but these types of people believe that pets are happier running free. When we adopted our Simon from a rescue, his previous owner let him run and he had been shot at many times for killing chickens and other animals. They did not want to fence their yard. Anyway, unfortunately, I doubt that your neighbor will ever take responsibility. I feel very bad for the dog.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Some might say watching your dog run over to a neighbors house barking at them would be a hint. He apologizes for it everytime.
It's not just country folk. Drive through towns and cities you see it. Lets not forget townies like to drive their unwanted pets to the country and leave them.
Cat owners are the worst offenders. They seem to think everyone wants to deal with their cats.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Some might say watching your dog run over to a neighbors house barking at them would be a hint. He apologizes for it everytime.
It's not just country folk. Drive through towns and cities you see it. Lets not forget townies like to drive their unwanted pets to the country and leave them.
Cat owners are the worst offenders. They seem to think everyone wants to deal with their cats.

We have 1 dog and 2 cats and have had several dropped off in our yard and we live on the outskirts of town. The drop offs have been taken to the local vet who adopted them out. One cat is indoor, the other cat is indoor/outdoor but she is being spayed in a week or so (she isn't quite old enough) and she was our latest drop off but she stays in our yard and our woods. Anytime I look outside I can see her and our dog is indoor/outdoor and he stays in our yard as well. I do understand how annoying it is when others do not control their pets or drop them off and leave.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Since we have had Rip (dog) I doubt there is a cat alive in 10 square miles.

I know he killed two this week.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
I live in a rurak area and everyonbe has a dog or two or three and even four, to ten of them. We all respect each others animals and understand that from time to time, one may wonder beyond their boundaries and end up on someone elses proiperty. Genrally we don't go shooting the animals that we know who the owner is. BUT, and this is a big BUT.... If someone does shoot and kill another person's animal, even their beloved pet, while it is on someone elses PRIVATE PROPERTY we will also respect that property owners rights as master of their own private property and if they terminated an animal, that is within their rights.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:35 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
The dogs you described were not great dogs. I actually don't blame the guy for shooting them, I totally blame the idiot who failed to train them or control them.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:01 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
It is the owner that is responsible here. I feel very bad for the dog and the dog was just being a dog running around because he had been free to do so. Does this guys have more dogs? I hope not because they will die too probably. You did a very good job in what you said to your neighbor. Hopefully he will wake up and stop this. I used to live in the country, actually in the woods. Dogs will sometimes chase after the deer. Because this is an area where people like to hunt, it is well known that if your dog is free and chasing a deer on someones property, it will get shot.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
It is the owner that is responsible here. I feel very bad for the dog and the dog was just being a dog running around because he had been free to do so. Does this guys have more dogs? I hope not because they will die too probably. You did a very good job in what you said to your neighbor. Hopefully he will wake up and stop this. I used to live in the country, actually in the woods. Dogs will sometimes chase after the deer. Because this is an area where people like to hunt, it is well known that if your dog is free and chasing a deer on someones property, it will get shot.
Very true.

Our dogs KNOW better than ever chase deer.

We turn out them on bear and once in a while coon. (it is not always legal to chase bear)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs