Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,675 times

Advertisements

A few months ago, my dogs were barking at the front screen, I could see a little dog in the front yard. I closed the front door and went out the back. The little dog was friendly, he had a collar on, I picked him up and put him in the back yard and tried to call his owner. He had no license tag, only a personalized ID tag with his name, address and phone. The phone number did not work. I walked around till I found the house, no answer on the door, I left a note.

The next morning the owner came and picked up her dog. Was very happy to get the dog back. Few days later, dog is in my yard again. I picked up the dog and carried it home. I explained to her how it is important that her dog remain in her yard or in her home. I can't have the dog roaming into my yard, where my dogs often hangout, as it could be fatal for her dog.

She said, "He darts out the door when we open it." I offered to come by and show her how to teach the dog to not dart out the door and how to prevent it while the dog is learning. So, I did that, twice. Dog continues to get out. Almost gets hit by a car, chasing cats, running all over the place, like he never ran in his life.

Last week, the dog was out again and came running toward my yard, my dogs were outside. I got to my gate and closed it, picked up the dog and put him into my back yard and called the shelter to pick up a loose dog.

After they picked up the dog, I felt guilty. I felt like I had betrayed the dog's trust or something. I worried that maybe they wouldn't claim their dog and it would be put to sleep.

I really felt like a dirt bag.

This morning, the little dog again, came to my yard. I noticed that something was missing, the big sack of manhood had been removed.

I felt better that she did get him and had him fixed to avoid the extra costs of getting the dog out if not s/n. I just closed the door. I am not sure what to do. So I am just leaving it alone. The dog can not create litters irresponsibly. I just hope he does not get hit by a car, or eaten by some dog.

But I really felt bad after I called the shelter. It really was not my first option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
I did a few months ago. There was a beautiful purebred female german shepherd that wandered into the parking lot at work. She had been recently nursing. No callor, tags, anything. Broke my heart, but we called animal control to pick her up.

It turns out, one of the volunteers has a YouTube channel where he videos a "bio" of the dogs that come up for adoption and updates if the dogs are either rescued or adopted. Thank goodness, she was adopted. I was a mess for 2 weeks looking for her video, then waiting for the update.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Dear CD Posters....

You did the right things.

I do not know why the "right thing" does not always feel good.

I have had similar things happen.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
years ago I noticed a stay in my yard. When I went to him he had a terrible snarly looking face with his gums showing but he was on his back exposing his belly. I was frightened and called animal control. Now I know this was probably some kind of goofy smile but at the time it really looked menacing. The outcome would have been the same even if I knew he was really smiling as we already had enough pets and I could not have kept him.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
You tried a lot of things first. Can't blame you at all. If the woman can't train the dog not to bolt she should put it in another room before opening the door. Sheesh! Little dogs can be so hard for drivers to see in time. I'm glad it's been neutered at least. I wonder if the shelter talked her into it, or she missed the stray hold period and had to re-adopt it, in which case it would have to be neutered by law.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Yes. I had to call AC when two stray pits, one a fighting male, showed up in my yard one night. True to breed characteristics, they were loving and friendly towards me... but when they got into my neighbor's yard and proceeded to beat the crap out of their two dogs, I had to call. My plans up until that point were to confine them overnight and see if I could get a pitty rescue in So Cal interested in them the following morning. By the time AC came out they'd already gone to another neighbor's house and were threatening her dog. It really was a shame, because they were so sweet with humans. I also had the well-being of Nanners to consider.

Humans made them like that.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM

757 posts, read 1,328,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yes. I had to call AC when two stray pits, one a fighting male, showed up in my yard one night. True to breed characteristics, they were loving and friendly towards me... but when they got into my neighbor's yard and proceeded to beat the crap out of their two dogs, I had to call. My plans up until that point were to confine them overnight and see if I could get a pitty rescue in So Cal interested in them the following morning. By the time AC came out they'd already gone to another neighbor's house and were threatening her dog. It really was a shame, because they were so sweet with humans. I also had the well-being of Nanners to consider.

Humans made them like that.
Humans made most every dog "like that" if what you mean by "like that" is being animal aggressive.

Many dogs were bred to hunt and kill rodents, rabbits, even foxes. Those owners did not socialize their dogs with other dogs and they are not responsible if their dogs were out roaming and getting in fights. Sad for the dogs.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
He was covered with fighting scars, old ones to new ones. Humans did that to him. Then they dumped him and his saggy boobed breeding machine mate into this neighborhood because they were no longer able to make money for the humans.

I'm next to a major off/on ramp of I-10. This neighborhood is a popular dumping off spot. Many of them end up in this yard. I placed a Craigslist ad for a stray Lab two weeks ago, as he wouldn't leave my yard. So many of them over the years have ended up here. It's like they can sense I'm a soft touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs