Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Why oh why do humans keep making more trendy breeds?? Don't we have enough variety in dogs already, not to mention enough dogs and oh...don't forget...not enough homes for all those dogs. Where's the common sense?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here; just wanted to vent.
How many new breeds do you think are being created? I know they are mixing Labradors, Poodles, Bulls, they are crossing like crazy. I believe that there are several generations of mixing before they offically have a hybred of the crossed breeds.

Pretty soon there will be only mutts. Then the shelters won't have to worry about guessing breeds, and the insurance company will not be able to regulate breeds, there will be no breed bans.

The shelters are not packed full of trendy breeds. Common sense? What happens to these puppies then, if there are not enough homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
It's quite simple really. I am arguing that the existence of suffering strays is not a good thing.

If we can't care for what already exists, why add more to the population?

A human example---what would you say if you heard that Octomom was pregnant again?

How about TEACHING humans the way to be responsible and teach them how to CARE for not only what already exists, but for all that will come in the future. TEACH the CHILDREN, teach them to teach their children.

No animal should suffer or end up a stray. How about making our Judges enforce abuse and neglect laws.

The population of animals could be reduced all the way to 20 and you will still have one turned into the shelter.

Shelter animals do not die because there is a population problem.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
It's all about the money. As long as people keep buying what they consider "designer breeds", there will be a market for them.

HOW IN THE WORLD COULD PEOPLE BE BUYING DESIGNER BREEDS IF THERE IS AN OVERPOPULATION? lol

I thought there were no homes left for dogs.

Oh, I get it, just toss out the dog already in the home. Get a younger, designer breed. I will just dump the one I already have at the shelter, somebody will adopt it.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:33 PM

My dogs are considered a Mixed breed. The terminology is as follows:

A Mixed Breed: Each parent is a Purebred but are not the same breed.

A Mutt: One parent may be Purebred but the other is a Mixed breed and not the same breed as first parent.

So, like a first generation cross, is a Mix, if both parents are Pure. Beyond that, there are lot's of mutts in the making along the road to creating a Hybred or a new breed. Many generations of them.

Too bad there are no homes for them all. Pitties, move over, the shelters are about to fill up with designer mutts.

(this post is just for fun, average pet owner does not care if their dog is a mutt, or mixed breed. Unless of course he is a purebred)

Old 10-13-2012, 02:11 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post

Shelter animals do not die because there is a population problem.
Why do they die then?

If the shelters didn't have to keep taking in a continuous flow of strays, they could hang on to the ones already there for a lot longer and not have to put them down.
Cold Hard Facts Help Save Dog Rescue Los Angeles pet overpopulation shelter euthanizing kill spay neuter

Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 PM

What I am trying to say is quite simple. There are such a variety of dogs out there already, we do not need to create more and thus add more to the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think you know what you're trying to say.
Not trying to be rude or obtuse.
Whether or not there are new breeds, people keep breeding dogs.
The same dog they would have used to make another lab just got crossed with a poodle instead.

Octomom is about breeding more of the same, not creating new kinds of people.
I don't think that 'designer breeds' are the reason we have strays or more strays or anything like that.
Of course all strays suffering is terrible.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:55 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
What I am trying to say is quite simple. There are such a variety of dogs out there already, we do not need to create more and thus add more to the population.
But if we say there is no need to create more and add to the problem, should we just stop creating more purebreds, too? That means the issue is too many dogs, purebreds included.

We would know just as much about the genetics of the cross of two different purebreds as we would a dog of either of the two breeds, so I do not buy the "you know what you are getting" argument.

I think a person should have just as much right to choose a puggle as to choose either a beagle or a pug. The price paid is determined by what the buyer is willing to pay.

A breeder who lies and says that a puggle is an AKC recognized breed is committing fraud. That has nothing to do with the desirability of breeding puggles, and a few minutes with Google would allow the buyer to disprove the claim.

If puggles do turn out to be exceptional companion dogs and puggles bred to one another breed true, then we could in the future indeed have a new "purebred."

That is the way other purebreds were developed anyway.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
But if we say there is no need to create more and add to the problem, should we just stop creating more purebreds, too? .
In a perfect world, YES, there would be *fewer* breeders. But before you all get upset with me, I do NOT mean to say we need to stop breeding purebreds altogether but it would be great if we could put an end to the disreputable backyard breeders who are only in it for the money and are only adding to pet overpopulation.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
I have a new breed joke...
My hubby actually came up with that one (when we discussed this topic today).

What is a mix between a Shihtzu & a bull dog called???
Put the Shihtzu & bull dog together (minus the underlined) & you'll have "$h!tdog". Lol!
That's what we should call them "designer dog breeder"... $h!tdog breeders.

Think there'll be that new breed of owners / buyers???

P.S. Serious note... people do have to rise above being that sheep that gets slaughtered (via money fleecing this time) sometimes maybe???

Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
I have a new breed joke...
My hubby actually came up with that one (when we discussed this topic today).

What is a mix between a Shihtzu & a bull dog called???
Put the Shihtzu & bull dog together (minus the underlined) & you'll have "$h!tdog". Lol!
That's what we should call them "designer dog breeder"... $h!tdog breeders.

Think there'll be that new breed of owners / buyers???

P.S. Serious note... people do have to rise above being that sheep that gets slaughtered (via money fleecing this time) sometimes maybe???
Well, I guess a bulldog and a shih tzu mix is a bullshi...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs