U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,284,359 times
Default Newfangled breeds---why?

Why oh why do humans keep making more trendy breeds?? Don't we have enough variety in dogs already, not to mention enough dogs and oh...don't forget...not enough homes for all those dogs. Where's the common sense?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here; just wanted to vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM

475 posts, read 330,629 times
Well, and since these breeds are not able to be registered with AKC or a reputable registry, there is almost no oversight. AKC doesn't even really oversee, but at least you know what you're getting. I have registered dogs only. I can go back at least 10 generations on any of them, check out that many of them had certified hips, eyes, thyroid, and hearts. I can seriously diminish risk when it comes to not only buying healthy, but supporting breeders who breed healthy dogs. The disreputable ones get found out in a hurry, courtesy of registered names, numbers, and the internet. None of this can be done without a reputable registry.

As far as people buying purebreds, I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 PM

810 posts, read 750,043 times
I don't understand why people do this. People are just confused.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:32 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,895,242 times
THey are inventing new purebreds.

They like making up cutsey names for mutts.

Everyone wants a bull****

INstead of mutt, it is fun to tell people you have a St. Elk Berhound. It sounds much more sophisticated than "He is a mix, he came form a shelter"

These ar ento new breeds, they are just new names. Goldendoodles and Snickerpoos or whatever have been around for ages. We only recently started giving them breed names oto compete with the snobbery of the accepted breeds. As these new "breeds" become accepted, AKC will find itself forced to accept every dog as a purebred something. If they accpet one mutt with a fancy name there is no justification for not accepting anyhting people come up with. "I want to register my Newfoundobermastiff. He is the newest breed." Maybe they will require ten or a hundred of them to be bred before exceptance.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 AM

3,503 posts, read 4,858,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
THey are inventing new purebreds.

They like making up cutsey names for mutts.

Everyone wants a bull****

INstead of mutt, it is fun to tell people you have a St. Elk Berhound. It sounds much more sophisticated than "He is a mix, he came form a shelter"

These ar ento new breeds, they are just new names. Goldendoodles and Snickerpoos or whatever have been around for ages. We only recently started giving them breed names oto compete with the snobbery of the accepted breeds. As these new "breeds" become accepted, AKC will find itself forced to accept every dog as a purebred something. If they accpet one mutt with a fancy name there is no justification for not accepting anyhting people come up with. "I want to register my Newfoundobermastiff. He is the newest breed." Maybe they will require ten or a hundred of them to be bred before exceptance.

It is not easy for a new breed to get accepted into the AKC and it takes a long time in most cases. Dazzle is 4 now and when I got him the breeders I talked to all said they thought the breed would be accepted into the AKC soon but so far it has not happened. In a way I am glad because I have seen what has happened to some other breeds once they got accepted. The only reason I would love to see the Silken Windhounds go AKC is that they will shake up the hound group in the dog shows being such stunning elegant dogs.. Right now the breed is very healthy with no known genetic illnesses and they are also the first breed to have the complete genome on file as every one born has DNA sent to UC Davis. So I think the control of the breed is better now then it will be if it gets AKC standing.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM

25,260 posts, read 16,448,310 times
why? because as long as there is money to be made somebody will be more than willing to cross all sorts of dogs to come up with something "unique". Sad really.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM

3,949 posts, read 3,454,796 times
A mixed breed can have less health problems. As we all know, especially with smaller breeds, they are plagued by a number of hereditary diseases and the ever popular poodle being bred with other small breeds has produced a popular and what appears to me to be solid dog. Think "cockapoo"! So many people are happy with the poodle mixes.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:21 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,143,743 times
My Diesel (county shelter adoptee) was listed as a red nose pit bull. Take a look at my album of him and you will see why.

HOWEVER, the more I studied him, the more physical traits I noticed that were NOT APBT nor Am Staff. After the doggy DNA test, it was no surprise to find Am Bulldog (you can hear it in his breathing and snoring) basset hound (boy put that nose to the ground and tracks ...) has shorter legs and a longer body than normal APBT OR AM Staffs, additional genetic markers showed two additional hounds (explains his huge webbed paws) and high prey drive ...

Point is ... he is not a pit bull. He's a MUTT-PUPPY!!! Now, don't get me wrong, he's got bully genetic's...but that dog has so many breeds mixed up in there, he really is a mutt-puppy and I don't care. He's got a sweet temperament unless there is a vermin around. (...and I don't know many dogs that like squirrels or other vermin.)

Now, if the AKC wants to add another breed...it could be: AmericanBulldogBassetJRTPlottIrishDeerHoundBoxer and they could call it "Mutt-Puppy" for short. (HA!)

Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,284,359 times
But it's not like there is a shortage of mixed breeds out there. I agree with No Kudzu, it's about the $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
A mixed breed can have less health problems. As we all know, especially with smaller breeds, they are plagued by a number of hereditary diseases and the ever popular poodle being bred with other small breeds has produced a popular and what appears to me to be solid dog. Think "cockapoo"! So many people are happy with the poodle mixes.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:56 PM

4,559 posts, read 2,833,099 times
Now, I do appreciate the non-hypo allergenic breeds. I'm very happy that someone who cannot otherwise have a pup now can. That's a good thing. I tend to agree with the mantra, "adopt a homeless pup". I've done it numerous times myself. However, I did adopt a Blue Picardy Spaniel (a mix likely). I fell in love with her, so found one of the three breeders in North America and got a pup. She's a wonderful addition to my pack of four and family of five (the breed was almost lost over the past 100 years, but is experiencing a come-back). But, generally, I agree with you guys on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs