U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:03 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,497,483 times

Advertisements

My Cody has taken to getting in the trash daily now and I refuse to move it, because he should know better and he use too!!!!!!!!!
I scolded him and sent him to his crate the first time
did the same w/ a little tap to get his attention when he did it ten minutes later
and this morning I caught him in the act and he ran into his crate and laid down. I let him stay there for a few second and then asked him to come to me and didn't say a word. HE knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I fix this. He's so soft, but very determined
what does everyone else do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 07:10 AM

14,939 posts, read 10,209,707 times
I have the same problem with my male golden going in the bathroom basket.
I have shown him the basket and slam it down on the tile to make loud noises
to scare him but next day he's right back into it. He is taking out tissues and
tearing them apart, it's a mess upstairs in the master bedroom.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:19 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,726,732 times
A trainer once told me....
Take a balloon or a soda can with pennies in it, when you catch them with their head in the can, sneak up and pop the balloon or throw the can in their direction (DO NOT THROW AT THEM, JUST CLOSE ENOUGH TO STARTLE THEM) . Try not to let the dog see you doing this. They will associate the noise (startle) with the garbage can, and hopefully be deterred from it.

Again, I was told this. I have not had to used it YET. It seems when my dogs get into the garbage, they find the one thing that could make them feel the worst. For instance, last time they got the garbage, they oh so enjoyed the left over asparagus. Needless to say, all three of the had VERY upset stomachs.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,225,776 times
I don't leave the trash out in the open...in any room.
It's been that way for 14 years and it's works just fine for me and my fur babies.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I don't leave the trash out in the open...in any room.
It's been that way for 14 years and it's works just fine for me and my fur babies.
ours isn't opened. It has a flip lid and is very tall.
It's been fine for 2 years and all of a sudden I got a trash dog.
I'm gonna up the excercise a little more and ask for more jobs in hopes to distract him and change this habit.

I've always used vases(that thin at the top) for trash baskets in bathrooms, but recently changed that and it's not a big deal.

we will see.

thanks for the ideas.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 PM

12,388 posts, read 31,350,745 times
Maybe the can is getting a bit smelly & you need a new one...

Old 10-08-2007, 01:00 PM

329 posts, read 1,331,838 times
I had a Golden that became so territorial over his prized "trash", like a paper plate he would growl and nip us. I got him when my kids were little because Golden's are such great family dogs. This possessiveness grew to include our shoes, hairbrushes, pens, anything he could find. I became concerned when he growled at my then 8 yr. old over a doll. An older man without kids took him.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:39 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,174,977 times
I used to have that problem with my golden lab, but after verbally scolding her a few times when I caught her in the act I seemed to break her of that habit.

My black lab was very well behaved and never once got into the trash her entire life. The only problem I had with her was when she was a puppy and used to chew the power-cords. I broke her of that habit by 1) buying her raw-hide bones; and 2) covering the exposed power-cords with alum.

I have an Alaskan husky now that is actually afraid of trash bags. Every time I get out a new trash bag and wave it around to open it up, the noise terrifies her and she runs for the stairs. I have no idea how she became afraid of trash bags, but at least I know she won't be digging through the trash.

P.S. As you can probably tell, I prefer female dogs. I think they are smarter than males, but I love all dogs.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I used to have that problem with my golden lab, but after verbally scolding her a few times when I caught her in the act I seemed to break her of that habit.

My black lab was very well behaved and never once got into the trash her entire life. The only problem I had with her was when she was a puppy and used to chew the power-cords. I broke her of that habit by 1) buying her raw-hide bones; and 2) covering the exposed power-cords with alum.

I have an Alaskan husky now that is actually afraid of trash bags. Every time I get out a new trash bag and wave it around to open it up, the noise terrifies her and she runs for the stairs. I have no idea how she became afraid of trash bags, but at least I know she won't be digging through the trash.

P.S. As you can probably tell, I prefer female dogs. I think they are smarter than males, but I love all dogs.
I prefer females, but my male is the smartest dog I've met.
The trash can smells like roses. I clean it often w/ cleaners and we empty the trash every 3 days, plus stinky trash goes outside.
....i wonder if new house, new rules, are kick'n in.
We softened on him when we moved, because it took it hard ...it mgiht be time to start requesting things from him again.

thanks for all the info!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,299,310 times
Hot sauce. Thats what I used for my dobe years ago. It took a couple of times but he never got into the trash again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or