U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,944,297 times

Advertisements

^^^Awwww such cutie pies!!!
I love them pics... keep them coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 05:04 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,436,097 times
We received a tiny, tiny dachshund pup that was about 4 weeks old. She soon managed to eat a glass test tube. She went through a lot of surgery to patch up her insides. It was about the time of the movie, "The Unsinkable Molly Brown." And so, that what she was called....but only Molly for short.

Later, she was run over by a school bus. Broken pelvis, dislocated leg, internal injuries. Her intestines managed to work their way up between her skin and ribs. More$$$$$ Then, there was a series of abcesses on those long, floppy ears. Finally, the vet just cut them and let her ears shrivel up. Twice a year, whenever she went into heat, she developed false pregnancies. Swollen boobs so big she couldn't walk. More Vet bills$$$$

Molly was a very expensive free gift. She even loved to go to see her vet. He always made what ever hurt, feel better. When she died, I called him to tell him that she had finally met her end. I think he was as upset about it as we were.

altogether, she lived 12 years.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM

18,788 posts, read 4,919,209 times
My last peke was Sasha.
This peke is Caesar, he rules the house...

Old 10-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
We received a tiny, tiny dachshund pup that was about 4 weeks old. She soon managed to eat a glass test tube. She went through a lot of surgery to patch up her insides. It was about the time of the movie, "The Unsinkable Molly Brown." And so, that what she was called....but only Molly for short.

Later, she was run over by a school bus. Broken pelvis, dislocated leg, internal injuries. Her intestines managed to work their way up between her skin and ribs. More$$$$$ Then, there was a series of abcesses on those long, floppy ears. Finally, the vet just cut them and let her ears shrivel up. Twice a year, whenever she went into heat, she developed false pregnancies. Swollen boobs so big she couldn't walk. More Vet bills$$$$

Molly was a very expensive free gift. She even loved to go to see her vet. He always made what ever hurt, feel better. When she died, I called him to tell him that she had finally met her end. I think he was as upset about it as we were.

altogether, she lived 12 years.
Awww... thanks for sharing that great story.
Yeah... pets when well taken cared of can be "expensive".
Molly has a wonderful home... and have a great 12 years of her life.

Which reminds me, one of our neighbour's who also own a silver dappled dachshund called his "smokie" like a smoked hot dog.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
My last peke was Sasha.
This peke is Caesar, he rules the house...
Great names "Sasha" & "Caesar".
We thought of "Caesar" too but went with "Roman Titus" instead....
that "majestic name" influences.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,766,093 times
years ago, I adopted an orange tabby kitty from the shelter where his name was Caeser..... another case of the name SO not fitting the pet..... re-christianed him Hobbes (remember the comic strip, Calvin and Hobbes?) .... and nicknamed him Hobbles after he got out one time and somehow or another REALLY injured the toes and pads on his right front paw..... that was 3 days in the kitty hospital for him....

Old 10-19-2012, 03:38 PM

6,122 posts, read 6,417,802 times
I love using old-fashioned names for dogs.

My first dog of my own came with the name Rosie. I kept it because it was cute and she was nine years old when I adopted her. I've always loved Neil Diamond, so Cracklin' Rosie became her song and I would sing it to her and change some of the words (oh, I love my old Rosie DOG!). I decided the next girl I had should be named Caroline, so I could sing Sweet Caroline to her.

In the meantime, a friend had given me the book "For Beatrice: The Story of the Beagle Who Changed My Life." I thought Beatrice was such an awesome beagle name and I would love to use it someday. Less than a year later, my parents got a foster beagle in who was named...you guessed it...Beatrice! When we found out she had a heart murmur, I decided she couldn't leave our family and I would just adopt her. She became Beatrice Caroline (all my dogs have middle names, Rosie's was Marie).

Two years ago I lost Rosie. A couple weeks later, a friend needed to get some of her foster dogs out of her house so she asked if I would be up for taking one (she felt bad asking, but I already knew Bea and I needed another friend). She was a bluetick beagle named Daisy, but she was being called Mama (she had been in a puppymill and WAY overbred). I knew I needed to change the name and was trying to figure out an old-fashioned name when it dawned on me...

I already had Beezus, so the newbie HAD to be named Ramona. I intended from the beginning to keep her if she got along with Bea, and Ramona Jean has lived with me for almost two years. Her name fits her perfectly. Unfortunately, we lost Beezus to the Bridge three months ago.

We also have a "foster" beagle (had him over a year, he's not going anywhere) who came with the name Petey. I've always loved the name Peter for a dog so he became Peter James McFarlane Hastings ________ __________ III. I always tell people, "don't ask." LOL

Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I love using old-fashioned names for dogs.

My first dog of my own came with the name Rosie. I kept it because it was cute and she was nine years old when I adopted her. I've always loved Neil Diamond, so Cracklin' Rosie became her song and I would sing it to her and change some of the words (oh, I love my old Rosie DOG!). I decided the next girl I had should be named Caroline, so I could sing Sweet Caroline to her.

In the meantime, a friend had given me the book "For Beatrice: The Story of the Beagle Who Changed My Life." I thought Beatrice was such an awesome beagle name and I would love to use it someday. Less than a year later, my parents got a foster beagle in who was named...you guessed it...Beatrice! When we found out she had a heart murmur, I decided she couldn't leave our family and I would just adopt her. She became Beatrice Caroline (all my dogs have middle names, Rosie's was Marie).

Two years ago I lost Rosie. A couple weeks later, a friend needed to get some of her foster dogs out of her house so she asked if I would be up for taking one (she felt bad asking, but I already knew Bea and I needed another friend). She was a bluetick beagle named Daisy, but she was being called Mama (she had been in a puppymill and WAY overbred). I knew I needed to change the name and was trying to figure out an old-fashioned name when it dawned on me...

I already had Beezus, so the newbie HAD to be named Ramona. I intended from the beginning to keep her if she got along with Bea, and Ramona Jean has lived with me for almost two years. Her name fits her perfectly. Unfortunately, we lost Beezus to the Bridge three months ago.

We also have a "foster" beagle (had him over a year, he's not going anywhere) who came with the name Petey. I've always loved the name Peter for a dog so he became Peter James McFarlane Hastings ________ __________ III. I always tell people, "don't ask." LOL
Sorry to hear about Beezus.
Losing any is never easy... I still don't forget my one & only dog, he is in my heart everyday.

Wow!
That beagle sure has a loooooong nome. lol!

Old 10-27-2012, 06:33 AM

857 posts, read 741,051 times
My female bandog is named Paikea (Pai) for short. She knows both names. My male bandog is named Warre, short for Warrenton. I had a female Ridgeback (rainbow bridge) that I named Ichiume of Willow and Flower, Ichiume for short. I love unusual names.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:57 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,194,472 times
Missy came from a shelter in SC--not original at all. Renee was named from her original owner who died. Bosco was a black shepherd so he was named after the drink mix. Brandy was named because her original owner worked in a liquor store. Strudel was a labrador retriever; Simon came from the rescue with the name his original family gave him; and Darcy has had so many names (and we have tried to call her some others to get an idea of her original name) but when we were in the shelter, I told her that when she left that she would have a new name. She has always answered to Darcy since we put her in the car and brought her home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or