Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:29 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times

Advertisements

It's a dog thing...we have cats of our own, but if another cat comes into our yard both my Chocolate Lab and Havanese go insane. Our lab has yet to catch another cat, they are pretty quick to the wall. Most neighbor cats have figured this out, but there is this one black and white cat that always comes to our house, stays on the wall now though, used to come into the yard but it only took getting chased out by the lab about twice for it to stay on the wall.

If it makes you more comfortable, get the ladder, but imo that would just give your dog something to hang on to while scaling the wall after the cat. The cat will figure it out and stay out of your yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 05:34 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
This is one time I say a Electric Fence along the top of your fence is needed. But tilt it towards the Outside!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I correct her every time CSD but she (a hound mix) has a prey drive that was ingrained long before I adopted her. Totally open to new suggestions. I have good solutions for when we see a cat and my dog is on leash, but my dog has been clocked at 25 mph and when she sees "prey" she is OFF. Fortunately this has only happened once before, but I had a chain link there and saw it coming (she treed the cat though)

Credit to Foxywench for the cat ladder idea!

Yeah that's a good point, he deserves to know that his cat can jump the fence. The cat used to be an indoor cat, but he started letting him outside. There are a lot of outdoor cats here.
Some hounds are like that and some are even trained using cats to kill.

One of my dogs was (Rip).

I doubt there is a cat alive within 15 miles of our house.

This is why "free kitten" signs bother me.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:28 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Please be the better person and ask the neighbor to please take care of this and keep his cat in his house and teach it to use a liter box . I will pray that nothing happens to that cat while in your yard . Good luck .

Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I would tell your neighbor/friend. As much as I love cats, it IS your yard. You have done your job by putting up the high privacy fence and he needs to do his job by keeping his cat either indoors or somehow on his property. I know that is an insane thought as outdoor cats will never stay on your property...

Old 10-13-2012, 06:47 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Neighbor knows you have a dog that does not like cats.

The solution is for the neighbor to keep his cat indoors.

The ball is in your neighbor's court. Protecting his pet is his responsibility.
This!!!

Makes sense.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Thanks so much, all. I'm definitely going to tell him, if just to give him the chance to make the cat an indoor cat again (but he won't, I don't think). It's frustrating. I'm really not a fan of people with outdoor cats who seem to think the universe revolves around their cats. I love cats, but my dog is going to use that yard and that's that.

My property line extends seven feet beyond my privacy fence - something I need to deal with soon because if I don't I could legally lose that property. Anyway, I mentioned to him that I need to take those seven feet back and he told me his cat walks around back there.

I should lose seven feet of my property because his cat walks there?

Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Just tell your neighbor that you saw his cat jump over your fence and you want him to know. That will protect you if something ever happens where you dog hurt/killed his cat, which hopefully will not happen.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Take Back your yard! In WV IF you dont use it you lose it! But you still pay the Taxes on it! Move your fence back the 7 ft ....

Old 05-05-2015, 07:02 PM

840 posts, read 773,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
A really good friend of mine lives around the corner and he has an outside cat. I was hoping that with the 6-foot privacy fence his cat wouldn't enter my yard, but! I just saw his sweet cat jump my fence, cross the yard, and jump the fence on the other side, while my dog went ballistic at the glass door.

Soooo....do you think I should even bother to tell my friend that his cat does in fact go in my yard? I hate to worry him before the fact. We've already talked about the possibility, both of us horrified. He has a dog too who loves my dog, and is great with cats.

It seems like nothing can be accomplished by telling him I just saw this.
Yes . . . you should tell him what you've seen, if you care at all for his cat.

Telling him that you HAVE seen his cat COME INTO your yard alerts him to that fact, in case he believes his cat is not using your yard. He might even opt to start keeping his cat inside.

However, if anything bad does happen between your dog & his cat, it is ALL his responsibility . . . He won't be able to reasonably complain: "WHY didn't you TELL ME!!!???" after his cat gets mauled. (I don't call that 'nothing'!)

You might also want to try conditioning the cat to stay out of your yard, by carrying MT cans with you to through at it when you see it approaching OR on top of the fence, or even after if it gets that far. Making the visits frightening is key in conditioning the cat to stay away! You might even stage it when the dog is in an outdoor covered kennel, so the cat can get a better idea of the dog living there. If staged, you can do it, and do it repeatedly, but, do NOT hold it captive in a cage . . . or, it will be impossible to put it in a cage to take it to the vet in the future!. Do it so the cat doesn't see where the cans --or noises-- are coming from, so it won't feel safe if it doesn't see you around.

It will NOT want to return . . . And, IF it ever does, it will likely be EXTREMELY cautious!
Which may very well give it a much better chance to get away.

(As a kid, my family's cats had several batches of kittens, and I conditioned them using loud noises whenever a car approached, to run away from approaching vehicles. I did the exercise repeatedly, and I never heard of any of them getting hit by a car. They always ran toward the house.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs