U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,251,292 times

Advertisements

Cats should not be allowed to roam free!!!!!!!! If they do, then the owner takes the risk of losing a pet.

I had a neighbor who's cat always roamed, that is until he decided to sleep in my engine compartment, and I had this really nifty remote start system. Hummer 1; Cat 0. And he would't pay for the engine compartment clean up; which I thought was not right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:45 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,477,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The best thing to do is to train your dog to behave when a cat is in sight. There is no reason for any dog to be allowed to go 'ballistic' when they see a cat. When that happens correct the dog about this behavior and continue to correct the dog regarding this behavior and it will stop.
My friends did this with the herding dog they inherited, and it took MONTHS of intensive training - and that was with the cat in the house with the dog and constant work. If this is a cat that only periodically enters the yard, it will take forever to get the dog to make the connection between its behavior and its owner's desires.

There's a reason why adoption sites specify whether a dog is good with cats or not - sometimes it's not fixable.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,608,257 times
The cat owner is being irresponsible letting it run. Should not own a cat. I live in a rural area, and we have to keep our cat inside. The cats we have had that got out, disappeared quickly due to coyotes, dogs, owls, hawks, etc. They go fast if they get out the door. We watch our cat very closely. She can go outside into a cage that is attached to the house. Loves to sit out there. A neighbor had a bunch of outside cats and a pack of domestic dogs running at night killed them all over about 3 days.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:56 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,477,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
The cat owner is being irresponsible letting it run. Should not own a cat. I live in a rural area, and we have to keep our cat inside. The cats we have had that got out, disappeared quickly due to coyotes, dogs, owls, hawks, etc. They go fast if they get out the door. We watch our cat very closely. She can go outside into a cage that is attached to the house. Loves to sit out there. A neighbor had a bunch of outside cats and a pack of domestic dogs running at night killed them all over about 3 days.
Yep. A friend of mine lost one of her cats because she refused to turn it into an indoor cat. Went roaming and never came back. She was distraught - after that, all her cats were indoor cats.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:47 AM

36,472 posts, read 43,543,470 times
Once had a friend who was so upset because one of her 3 outside cats was killed by coyotes which she damn well knew were all around. When she got a new replacement cat she asked me for suggestions for a good name.

I said "How about Coyote Chow". She was not amused. She's a wonderful, intelligent, educated and animal loving woman but refuses to even try to keep her cats inside. I don't understand.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 AM

21,713 posts, read 21,595,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I correct her every time CSD but she (a hound mix) has a prey drive that was ingrained long before I adopted her. Totally open to new suggestions. I have good solutions for when we see a cat and my dog is on leash, but my dog has been clocked at 25 mph and when she sees "prey" she is OFF. Fortunately this has only happened once before, but I had a chain link there and saw it coming (she treed the cat though)

Credit to Foxywench for the cat ladder idea!

Yeah that's a good point, he deserves to know that his cat can jump the fence. The cat used to be an indoor cat, but he started letting him outside. There are a lot of outdoor cats here.
Have you tried a shock collar? I have a small hobby farm and got a GSD who absolutely loves to chase everything. I finally broke down and got a shock collar. It worked very well teaching her not to go after the critters and I have only had to use the vibration setting except for one time. I do have to reinforce the lesson occasionally.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:30 PM

7,541 posts, read 16,347,856 times
Thats horrible, why would you shock your dog in your yard because some irresponsible cat owner lets their animal roam ?

Old 05-06-2015, 03:57 PM

5,850 posts, read 8,783,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Thats horrible, why would you shock your dog in your yard because some irresponsible cat owner lets their animal roam ?
Yeah....I'm not going to do that

She said she has a small farm though so I could see using it (vibration mode only) in that situation but not in mine.

So this is an old thread - I did end up telling him and I think he's kind of in denial about it, but so far so good. I'm not as much in a panic as I was though the cat does still come into my yard, and I still think it could be very bad if they met with my dog off leash.

There are tons of outdoor cats in my neighborhood - my dog is now trained to look at me when she sees a cat, and she gets a treat - she even seems to like some of the cats - but when they run she still acts like a maniac. She's just not trustworthy with them.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:22 PM

21,713 posts, read 21,595,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Because I am teaching my dog not to chase and kill other animals. At this point if she goes or looks like she is going to chase all I have to do is say LEAVE IT and she stops immediately. I only used the lowest shock once when she was on a goat. The vibrate works fine.

What is horrible is seeing your dog rip apart another animal, or getting shot for ripping apart another animal or having an uncontrollable pet.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:03 AM

5,850 posts, read 8,783,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Because I am teaching my dog not to chase and kill other animals. At this point if she goes or looks like she is going to chase all I have to do is say LEAVE IT and she stops immediately. I only used the lowest shock once when she was on a goat. The vibrate works fine.

What is horrible is seeing your dog rip apart another animal, or getting shot for ripping apart another animal or having an uncontrollable pet.
Yup - I'd do the same thing as you if I had a different situation (or, if cats were frequent yard visitors - turns out they're not).

The vibrate is totally humane.

I used to be completely against these until I saw that my cousin used it on his dog to keep it out of the street (they live in the country and just are not going to keep the dog on leash all the time). That dog completely adores him and most of the time he doesn't even need to use it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs