Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,541,819 times

Advertisements

...oh no.

So I posted once about my dog's hatred of cats - she goes ballistic - and I fear for any cat that will encounter her off leash. It's so upsetting. I got some great advice that includes putting up a little kitty ladder against the privacy fence, which I will do (I'm not fully moved in yet, will next week).

A really good friend of mine lives around the corner and he has an outside cat. I was hoping that with the 6-foot privacy fence his cat wouldn't enter my yard, but! I just saw his sweet cat jump my fence, cross the yard, and jump the fence on the other side, while my dog went ballistic at the glass door.

Soooo....do you think I should even bother to tell my friend that his cat does in fact go in my yard? I hate to worry him before the fact. We've already talked about the possibility, both of us horrified. He has a dog too who loves my dog, and is great with cats.

I just feel awful already. I can't prevent my dog from using her own yard, of course. I generally only have her in the yard when I'm out there but the problem with a privacy fence is I can't see the cat coming until he's already on top of the fence jumping in.

It seems like nothing can be accomplished by telling him I just saw this. He's a great person.

OK this sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 PM

36,971 posts, read 40,917,684 times
Neighbor knows you have a dog that does not like cats.

The solution is for the neighbor to keep his cat indoors.

The ball is in your neighbor's court. Protecting his pet is his responsibility.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 PM

I know. That's really the bottom line, isn't it. I mean anytime you have an outdoor cat it puts them at risk for being hit by cars, etc. Blargh. It would be a little easier if it were someone I didn't like! Not that I want my dog to get any cat...but especially not this one!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:25 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,775,587 times
make sure the cat has quick escape acess (ie a cat ladder) and then be done with it..nothing you can do after that and one run in with the dog assuming the cat smart it WONt come back...

Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Yeah, definitely. I'm also going to make sure not to befriend this cat, much as I would like to. She saw my dog going crazy and that's when she left the yard, though it was in a nonchalant cat way.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:33 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,971,715 times
The best thing to do is to train your dog to behave when a cat is in sight. There is no reason for any dog to be allowed to go 'ballistic' when they see a cat. When that happens correct the dog about this behavior and continue to correct the dog regarding this behavior and it will stop.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:44 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,345,130 times
Cat ladder is a great idea. But do mention it to your friend. He may assume the cat won't jump the fence too, and knowing that it will may make him decide to keep the cat indoors. He needs to have all the facts, and then it's up to him. I hope he does work to make it an indoor cat. There are a lot of dangers outside besides your dog.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:54 PM

I correct her every time CSD but she (a hound mix) has a prey drive that was ingrained long before I adopted her. Totally open to new suggestions. I have good solutions for when we see a cat and my dog is on leash, but my dog has been clocked at 25 mph and when she sees "prey" she is OFF. Fortunately this has only happened once before, but I had a chain link there and saw it coming (she treed the cat though)

Credit to Foxywench for the cat ladder idea!

Yeah that's a good point, he deserves to know that his cat can jump the fence. The cat used to be an indoor cat, but he started letting him outside. There are a lot of outdoor cats here.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,487,821 times
Are you sure your dog would do harm to cats? We thought the same when our dogs would go ballistic at seeing a cat in the front yard. One neighbor's cat would taunt them by sitting outside the dog pen and just stare at them. Well one day a cat was on the rail of our deck (jumped the dog pen fence). Our first thought was to try to get the cat off the deck before the dog saw it. Well, we were unsuccessful, and the dogs went out through the dog door barking. What did the cat do? It just sat there and hissed at them once. The dogs stopped in their tracks and sniffed at it from 3' away. After a minute the dogs just ignored it. Of course, when the cat did jump off the deck the dogs did give it a send off.

So while your dog is protective of your property, he may be less protective in a direct confrontation. I wouldn't bother with a kitty ladder as it's obvious the cat can get over the fence on its own. Also, as an outside cat, I'd guess he's more experienced than you think and would make a hasty retreat if necessary. I would let your friend know though and do a quick scan of the yard before letting your dog out.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 PM

25,601 posts, read 21,772,537 times
Your dog is not going to be the only danger to an outside cat. A lot of rescues will not adopt to someone that won't keep the cat in the house for this reason. It is YOUR yard. Let him know the cat is jumping the fence so probably others in the area. It just boils down to it is YOUR yard and his cat. You take of care of YOUR yard and he should take care of HIS cat. A lot of dogs have a high prey drive and you shouldn't have to train your dog not to chase cats that get in YOUR yard. Cat probably doesn't have much time left anyway since it is running the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs