U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 6,684 times
Question Does my dog have parvo??????

I got my pit/lab mix Gator around the 1st of may and i wld say he is a little over a year now and ever since we had him his poop has always had this disgusting smell to it. my whole house would stink for days if he had an accident. well as he grew a little bit older it still had the disgusting smell to it that could make you gag without a doubt. i had recently purchased theese HUGE dog bones at the store for my 2 dogs only when gator was finished eating his he became sick... He began to have runny poop and it has blood n it and then he started puking in the house non digested food. Ive been reading up on parvo and they say the smell of thier fecis is unbelievable.... My dogs fecis has always smelled bad... Does this mean my dog has parvo or has had it for awhile when he was with his previous owners? i have no idea of his shot record or if hes even had shots but he was with his whole litter and i didnt get him till he was 6 mnths or a lil older. Was it the bone i gave him... could he really have parvo? i have made him an emergancy vet apt but im stuck at work and im scared to death and his apt isnt till 5:15 can anbody mayb ease my mind a little and tell me what they think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Status: "Welcome to N.C. Set clock back 50 years." (set 24 days ago)

24,376 posts, read 15,455,896 times
I'm sorry your pup is ill but if he has been sick since May and you are just now taking him to the vet...well....

Keep your appointment and tell them everything. I'm seeing you have not had him to the vet since you got him, right? They probably will not give him any shots if he is sick and might keep him overnight. If he was only 6 months old he probably didn't have any shots. As soon as he gets well take him to a regular vet to get neutered and establish yourself with a vet so you can be seen next time without delay. Good luck. and nobody here can give you a diagnosis over the internet.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,046,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypoorgator View Post
I got my pit/lab mix Gator around the 1st of may and i wld say he is a little over a year now and ever since we had him his poop has always had this disgusting smell to it. my whole house would stink for days if he had an accident. well as he grew a little bit older it still had the disgusting smell to it that could make you gag without a doubt. i had recently purchased theese HUGE dog bones at the store for my 2 dogs only when gator was finished eating his he became sick... He began to have runny poop and it has blood n it and then he started puking in the house non digested food. Ive been reading up on parvo and they say the smell of thier fecis is unbelievable.... My dogs fecis has always smelled bad... Does this mean my dog has parvo or has had it for awhile when he was with his previous owners? i have no idea of his shot record or if hes even had shots but he was with his whole litter and i didnt get him till he was 6 mnths or a lil older. Was it the bone i gave him... could he really have parvo? i have made him an emergancy vet apt but im stuck at work and im scared to death and his apt isnt till 5:15 can anbody mayb ease my mind a little and tell me what they think?
You got this dog almost 6 mths ago. Have you taken him to a vet before your scheduled appointment today? I'd be consulting the vet before anyone else.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 AM

584 posts, read 290,298 times
My opinion is that your dog does not have parvo. Generally parvo can kill your dog in just days if left untreated.

But what ever your dog has, go to the Vet right away. For me, personally, I would not have waited to seek the opinion of a Vet, who can properly diagnose and treat the canine.

The terrible smelling poo is a sign that something is not just as it should be inside the little guy. Are you feeding him high quality dog food?

Gosh, I know dogs can be expensive when it comes time to get them medical care, and they do need regular medical care, shots or wellness visits. But for the health and happiness of your dog, this is not an option.

There are resources that will provide sliding scale services or even free for qualified people.

Let us know what the Vet says.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 PM

6,026 posts, read 8,212,860 times
1: it sounds like your dog has a BLOCKAGE, likely a peice of somethign lodged in the digestive tract that might need to be surgically removed, diahrreah and BLOOD is not normal and he needs to see a vet NOW

2: a dog does not have parvo for 6 months...1: healthy adult dogs are very unlikely to contract parvo...2: parvos is a QUICK KILLER, a dog with parvo will usually die within 2 weeks of contracting the illness, and its usually within 5 days of beginning to display early symptoms...if an adult dog has enough of a run down system to contract parvoe, it would go down ust as quickly as a puppy.
also the smell of parvo is very distinct...its not just "gross" it literally smells like rotting flesh...because thats what it is, the digestive tract dying and being pooped out...
parvo poop is also BLACK im not talking dog poop runny yuck, im talking goey horrible slimey and TAR black!

what your likley smelling is old blood and the direct results of an upset tummy...

to me it sounds like theres a blockage, he should have a gentle palpitation by the vet and likely xrays...however not all blocages show up on xrays and he may need exploritory surgery to ind whatever is causing the issue...

Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 PM

5,024 posts, read 3,005,536 times
I agree it could be a blockage, blood in the stool is always a bad sign and always something to take a pup to the vet for immediately. Also, not trying to be judgmental here, but the FIRST thing you should do whenever you get a new pet is take them for a check up with the vet. You don't even know if this dog has his shots. Hopefully the vet can you figure out what is going on and get you on the right track to responsible pet ownership.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 PM

4,068 posts, read 10,353,616 times
My school of hard knocks education is going with gastroenteritis.

I am guessing you've been to the vet by now, what's the verdict?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 PM

15,404 posts, read 9,061,885 times
I think if he has not been well since May he should have already been to the vet since it is October. He could have Parvo but I doubt it. He could have intestine issues, have an allergy to what you feed him, he could have a blockage of some sort. It is hard to say for sure since I am not a Veterinarian I just have years of experience with critters.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 AM

16,589 posts, read 19,085,026 times
A Parvo screen is quick and inexpensive...

Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 AM

16,418 posts, read 11,009,176 times
Yeah, I am going to rag on your too. Why didn't you take him to the vet to get his shots when you got him?

Yes, dogs poop smells when they have parvo, but your dog cannot have parvo for 6 months. A dog with parvo gets VERY sick. Your dog would never be alive this long if it had parvo, unless it had literally just got it recently, but you have said his poop has smelled the whole time you had him.

Obviously the dog needs to go to the vet and get checked and begin getting his shots. Blood in the stools isn't something you want to mess with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs