U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,815,293 times

Advertisements

No, if people are active with the working breeds there are plenty of activities that will simulate what they were bred for. AKC has hunt tests, earth dog, agility, tracking, herding, lure coursing and of course obedience and rally venues. All created just for a variety of working dogs.

There is also several new things out too, there is lure coursing for the non-sight hounds and there is also a new thing for all dogs to "herd" a large ball. There is tons of activities for dogs and their humans.

So while the dogs might not be working as a herding dog or a hunter there are certainly lots of ways to keep them happy if their owners will get off the couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 04:35 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,953,306 times
Many dogs that are "bred" for a certain use need training in order to develop those traits. I always heard about the lab and how you should not have one if you could not provide swimming so I stayed away from the breed even though the shelters were full of them. So, we finally adopted an older one last spring. She doesn't like water, not puddles, not drips, nothing wet unless it is like almond milk in her bowl. We had herding dog for 13 1/2 years that did not herd since she was injured as a pup before we got her by a horse. A lot of dogs in a certain breed don't necessarily develop the desired traits which is one of the reasons you find so many purebreds at the pound! No, mixed breeds are not the answer.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:54 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,306,457 times
BTW, it is frighting to let my hounds do what they are bred for.

I was not going to let Rip go this year.

When the other dogs where loading....Rip was coming out of his skin going nuts to go.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,962,259 times
I have a shepherd mix who has never seen a flock but I have seen her herd little dogs at the dog park. She gets lots of other physical activity so I think she's quite content.

I do, however, feel very sorry for my cat. She's the first 100% indoor cat that I've had and I can't help but thinking she has nowhere near the life that my childhood cat had. That cat could come and go as she pleased and she was able to hunt in the backyard. She lived to be 21 and was in fantastic physical shape. My current cat spends most of her day sleeping. I do squeeze in some playtime with her but I think she's bored.

On the other hand, since we hand-raised her as a newborn, she really doesn't know any other kind of life.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,025,684 times
If my beagle basset had a chance to do what he was meant to do, he would get hit by a car.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:07 PM

760 posts, read 2,038,354 times
If my terrier had an opportunity to do what he was meant to do there would be a LOT less cats in our neighborhood!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If my beagle basset had a chance to do what he was meant to do, he would get hit by a car.
BINGO!!!!

We keep our beloved pets safe.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:21 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,946,493 times
Again... nothing wrong with mutts... so long people don't get duped into paying an arm & a leg for them.
Then, in my books... when people get taken by hype, there is something wrong & needs "corrected".

Also, nothing wrong in getting a breed for not performing as they should... be it a flock guardian, a working dog, a hunter... etc...

So long when there is *plenty of love* & care to go around & that dog is never neglected (with plenty of room to run around & be free when they want to safely or gets taken to doggie parks / walks etc. for those without a big yard)...
he/she will be the happiest dog on earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Would you be willing to turn your dog out on a boar???
Well said! ITA!!! Exactly!!!
No one who truly loves their dog would purposefully "subject" their beloved to see if they can hunt a "bear" or kill a "coyote" or tackle that "mountain lion" even if their breed was "used" (for human purposes) as that from ancient times.

Like why would people train their pitbull to be mean, fight so their owner can profit from bets & gambling or get a "high" from bloodsport is wayyyyy beyond me!!!

Think when they get their "breed" into "trouble" (to be banned & from future loves/ownership of these dogs) justified when that particular owner gets their dog "to do" what they are meant to do "in that human's eyes"????

Again... playing "God" much aren't we humans???

P.S. Even if it is that dog's joy to hunt (say fox for that beagle)... say you took that dog out hunting for fox, accident happen (even if that dog did not get trampled by that horse's hooves, but he get bit by a rabid fox (very high chance) & you caught that too late... would you again "play god" & decides to put that dog out of misery since you (that owner) are the ones "subjecting" & "exposing" that dog so that he/she can do what he was meant to do.

See... if one treated that dog as family or that child...
You would at least want to protect that child from harm even though they really really wanted to do an activity that you know has a certain degree of high risk involved.

Last edited by hueyeats; 10-16-2012 at 06:38 PM..

Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Again... nothing wrong with mutts... so long people don't get duped into paying an arm & a leg for them.
Then, in my books... when people get taken by hype, there is something wrong & needs "corrected".

Also, nothing wrong in getting a breed for not performing as they should... be it a flock guardian, a working dog, a hunter... etc...

So long when there is *plenty of love* & care to go around & that dog is never neglected...
he/she will be the happiest dog on earth.

Well said! ITA!!! Exactly!!!
No one who truly loves their dog would purposefully "subject" their beloved to see if they can hunt a "bear" or kill a "coyote" or tackle that "mountain lion" even if their breed was "used" (for human purposes) as that from ancient times.

Like why would people train their pitbull to be mean, fight so their owner can profit from bets & gambling or get a "high" from bloodsport is wayyyyy beyond me!!!

Think when they get their "breed" into "trouble" (to be banned & from future loves/ownership of these dogs) justified when that particular owner gets their dog "to do" what they are meant to do "in that human's eyes"????

Again... playing "God" much aren't we humans???
I love my hounds.

That is why they are conditioned and have everything they need to be successful hunters.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:51 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,672,984 times
Nanners is Pit/Lab. The lab part was never apparent because she's always been waterphobic and will walk 100 yards out of her way to avoid soiling her dainty yellow paws with the water from a shallow puddle. This weekend at the orchards she stood by me and watched while the other three dogs frolicked in the pond. Wouldn't get within 50 feet of it.

She used to have a high prey drive in her younger years, but now just watches as the rabbits run past. Walks consist of me walking ahead of her while she pokes along behind at the full extension of the leash.

She's always been content to be with me in the house or flopped beside me out in the shop. That's what she was bred for, companionship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or