Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:54 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times

Advertisements

There are "games" you can play when out walking that teach a dog to keep an eye on you and walk nice. One I use to do with Jazz and Dash when I walked them on a flexi I would let them wander ahead of me then suddenly I would stop and at first they kept going until they hit the end of the leash then they stood there waiting, eventually they would look back at me and because I still stood still saying nothing first one then the other would come back to me and when they did they got a treat. Soon the moment I stopped they would turn and race back, no more going out to the end of th eleash as they were then watching me and knew when I stopped. I always took treats on walks and once they got the game sometimes they got a treat when they came back sometimes they did not or sometimes the one that got back to me first did as that tended to make them very fast but the other reward was coming back to me meant we would start walking again not comimg back meant we stood still. I can still see Dash's hopeful grin as he raced back to me hoping maybe that it would be a treat time as he so loved food..

Another game was me just suddenly turning direction and at first they would once again continue until a taunt leash told them... another reason to always keep an eye on me and soon even if they walked ahead on the flexi if I turned they saw and turned too. We also did a lot of obedience/trick drills as we were walking without me stopping I would say Sit or down or even ask for a trick such as spin or twirl my dogs never knew what to expect and if we just walked without playing I am sure that must have seemed a bit boring for them. Both were part Border collie and so these types of walks also stimulated them mentally so it tired them out more then just walking does.

Before some one jumps on The I hate flexi leashes band wagon when we were near traffic or people the leash was locked at about 6 ft and no I did not let them wander into yards or up to dogs,( Jazz was a reactive dog). We walked in areas that having them out on a flexi exploring was safe and not bothering anyone. Both knew how to heel and did when I needed them too but our walks were for their pleasure as well as my own so I did let them wander in front of me on the flexi to sniff and explore when it was safe to do so. I do not buy into the if my dog walks ahead or walks through a door before me he/she will think they are boss. My dogs do what I ask and know I am the one that good things come from so I do not think they ever think they are above me. They know they have it good as all their basic needs get met and they get to have a lot of fun... However if my dogs want to get a job and provide me with all my basic needs maybe then I will let them be in charge hummmmm then can I blame them for any of my bad behavior ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 02:59 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
There are "games" you can play when out walking that teach a dog to keep an eye on you and walk nice. One I use to do with Jazz and Dash when I walked them on a flexi I would let them wander ahead of me then suddenly I would stop and at first they kept going until they hit the end of the leash then they stood there waiting, eventually they would look back at me and because I still stood still saying nothing first one then the other would come back to me and when they did they got a treat. Soon the moment I stopped they would turn and race back, no more going out to the end of th eleash as they were then watching me and knew when I stopped. I always took treats on walks and once they got the game sometimes they got a treat when they came back sometimes they did not or sometimes the one that got back to me first did as that tended to make them very fast but the other reward was coming back to me meant we would start walking again not comimg back meant we stood still. I can still see Dash's hopeful grin as he raced back to me hoping maybe that it would be a treat time as he so loved food..

Another game was me just suddenly turning direction and at first they would once again continue until a taunt leash told them... another reason to always keep an eye on me and soon even if they walked ahead on the flexi if I turned they saw and turned too. We also did a lot of obedience/trick drills as we were walking without me stopping I would say Sit or down or even ask for a trick such as spin or twirl my dogs never knew what to expect and if we just walked without playing I am sure that must have seemed a bit boring for them. Both were part Border collie and so these types of walks also stimulated them mentally so it tired them out more then just walking does.

Before some one jumps on The I hate flexi leashes band wagon when we were near traffic or people the leash was locked at about 6 ft and no I did not let them wander into yards or up to dogs,( Jazz was a reactive dog). We walked in areas that having them out on a flexi exploring was safe and not bothering anyone. Both knew how to heel and did when I needed them too but our walks were for their pleasure as well as my own so I did let them wander in front of me on the flexi to sniff and explore when it was safe to do so. I do not buy into the if my dog walks ahead or walks through a door before me he/she will think they are boss. My dogs do what I ask and know I am the one that good things come from so I do not think they ever think they are above me. They know they have it good as all their basic needs get met and they get to have a lot of fun... However if my dogs want to get a job and provide me with all my basic needs maybe then I will let them be in charge hummmmm then can I blame them for any of my bad behavior ?
haha..about the only thing I have done good at training while out on walks is that if i turn around he instantly turns and follows me in the direction I go, but before long he is ahead of me and pulling once again

Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
I heard (from research) also that if the dog ever gets bit by any dog at all during its "puppy hood" (vulnerable time)...
It will have dog aggression for the rest of its life (feels it needs to be alpha since that owner handling that dog during that "dog bite incident" have failed to "protect" it as a "leader of the pack" should.)...

hence introducing / walking a puppy to a dog park is never recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs