Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:49 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times

Advertisements

Our vet gave our dogs azpromozine (SP???) works great...we used it when moving from Oklahoma to NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 06:29 PM

55 posts, read 103,745 times
Tons of good useful information everyone. I really appreciate everyone taking time out to help me with this issue. It is my first time and I am getting very nervous!!

Old 10-20-2012, 07:12 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
We road trip with the dogs all the time, they love the car so we don't run into problems. I have used Happy Traveler for fireworks, it calms them but doesn't sedate them. I'm not fond of using an untested sedative on a long trip to unfamiliar areas, if your dog has a medical issue it can become a very bad situation. We always have cell numbers on the dog's tags, be sure they are leashed before opening a car door and take breaks every couple hours for everyone's sanity. Good Luck on your move.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:10 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Found a website that may help you with your pup's travel plans JIC you need to stay over & such... Also great for finding events for u & your pup to do adjusting to the new state:

BringFido.com - Pet Friendly Hotel & Dog Travel Directory

^^^Great site for pet friendly hotels, services, events, parks etc...

I can sympathize with people needing to travel with their family pets...
Its NOT EASY!!!

We lucked out going to pick up our new pup having to travel 5+ hrs each way... he was pretty patient... threw up only once & since we made frequent pitstops... he did great potty-wise. He did whine a bit but slept most of the ways.

I agree with short car trips to "practice" the rides... great idea.

Also, feed in very small amounts... for cats, they say not to feed at all (due to vomiting) till you reach a looong pitstop like an overnite stay or something.

Best of luck for you & your buddies' travels!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
We road trip with the dogs all the time, they love the car so we don't run into problems. I have used Happy Traveler for fireworks, it calms them but doesn't sedate them. I'm not fond of using an untested sedative on a long trip to unfamiliar areas, if your dog has a medical issue it can become a very bad situation. We always have cell numbers on the dog's tags, be sure they are leashed before opening a car door and take breaks every couple hours for everyone's sanity. Good Luck on your move.
Thank you Dogmama, where can I pick up the Happy Traveler item? I have never heard of it!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Found a website that may help you with your pup's travel plans JIC you need to stay over & such... Also great for finding events for u & your pup to do adjusting to the new state:

BringFido.com - Pet Friendly Hotel & Dog Travel Directory

^^^Great site for pet friendly hotels, services, events, parks etc...

I can sympathize with people needing to travel with their family pets...
Its NOT EASY!!!

We lucked out going to pick up our new pup having to travel 5+ hrs each way... he was pretty patient... threw up only once & since we made frequent pitstops... he did great potty-wise. He did whine a bit but slept most of the ways.

I agree with short car trips to "practice" the rides... great idea.

Also, feed in very small amounts... for cats, they say not to feed at all (due to vomiting) till you reach a looong pitstop like an overnite stay or something

Best of luck for you & your buddies' travels!
Thanks a bunch for this website hueyeats. This will help me out a great deal

Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LissaF26 View Post
Hi everyone,
My family and I are relocating to Pensacola, FL from Minnesota October 31. So of those who have traveled with dogs. How and what treatments were they given to keep calm and rested for the loooooong drive? Either over the counter, home remedies, or Vet recommended.
Thank you all
Quick question, how does the 4 legged friend do in a car? Is he/she calm or excited when rolling. Does he/she calm down after awhile?

Our friend gets very excited when we first get him in the car, but after awhile, he settles down and naps.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Quick question, how does the 4 legged friend do in a car? Is he/she calm or excited when rolling. Does he/she calm down after awhile?

Our friend gets very excited when we first get him in the car, but after awhile, he settles down and naps.
Well, my dog is very anxious and loves to see what's going on. He does get an upset tummy and vomits sometimes. He settles down after about 20 or so minutes but boy for those 20 minutes he whines, wimpers, and his feet scratches the bottom f his kennel because he won't sit down. He slipping and sliding in his kennel. lol

Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Well, my dog is very anxious and loves to see what's going on. He does get an upset tummy and vomits sometimes. He settles down after about 20 or so minutes but boy for those 20 minutes he whines, wimpers, and his feet scratches the bottom f his kennel because he won't sit down. He slipping and sliding in his kennel. lol
Don't feed him right before you get in the car. Make sure that you leave a good hour or so in between food and driving. I learned this the hard way.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Quote:
Thank you Dogmama, where can I pick up the Happy Traveler item? I have never heard of it!

I've picked it up at pet shops, here's a link to it on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Ark Naturals Happy Traveler - 30 capsules: Pet Supplies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs