Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,416,375 times

Advertisements

Obviously there are some "strong feelings" towards dog breeders. Spay and neuter every dog.....ok.

Phonelady without knowing the whole story, I wouldn't pass judgement so quickly. It depends on the situation if I hear someone boasting about breeding because their dog has ( cute/rare/out of such n such lines, etc) then yes.

Now for REPUTABLE breeders that breed for a certain traits I have no problem with. I'm not talking about appearance wise ( show). I do believe that they ruin far more than they "benefit" the breed. However for certain work traits benefit their owners ( like Dual) be it, guarding, hunting, farm etc..... greatly.

There are some mixed breeds are used for work but the issue would be finding consistency. Evidently a mix had to get that trait from somewhere?????? Dogs that don't work out are re-home while those that do stay to pass on to future generations, without too much guess work.

We live in a throw away society a dog being purposely bred is not the reason dogs die in shelters.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,889,440 times
What really makes me cringe are Craigslist ads that say that the dog is "pure bread" instead of "pure bred." Listen, I like a loaf of rye as much as the next gal, but...

Old 10-25-2012, 11:13 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,416,375 times
The ones that make me cringe are the re-homing dogs due to marriage, divorce, allergies, new baby, moving, work hours, and the list goes on. See it on CL all the time..... What really amazes me is the amount of time passed that the dog needs to be re-homed. So you had the dog for 10+ years and all of a sudden things aren't working out......

Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,787,990 times
it wont let me rep alot of you but i wanted to say thank you to the SANE voices who understand the pet overpopulation problem has NOTHING to do with RESPONSIBLE breedrs and everythign to do with idiots and a throw away society!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:17 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,624,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
What really makes me cringe are Craigslist ads that say that the dog is "pure bread" instead of "pure bred." Listen, I like a loaf of rye as much as the next gal, but...
Does this also make it a "hot dawg!" Sorry, could not resist! 👅 😜

Hold on CL haters, that's how I fostered Spanky...and we'll have had him for 4.5 years now. (This is his forever home. He's NOT going back on CL!)

Old 10-25-2012, 01:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,889,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
Does this also make it a "hot dawg!" Sorry, could not resist! 👅 😜
Only if the bread is oven-fresh or toasted.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:35 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,466,950 times
Yes, I always cringe!!

Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 PM

621 posts, read 1,415,948 times
I don't believe the good breeders are in the minority one little bit! However, well bred and good puppies are not cans of peas, there when you want them!

People want what they want, and they want it NOW! I am amazed how many inquiries I get for puppies from people who want it now, right away, last week if possible. Like we have them sitting on a shelf.

High volume breeders have litters all the time, they have puppies available NOW! They will ship tommorrow if you have the credit card to pay for it. if that happens, you might be talking to a puppy mill.

If you find a breeder who always seems to have puppies available... heads up gang! You might be talking to a puppy mill!

You might have to wait a couple of weeks, or a month, or a couple of months. Good breeders will ask you questions, like why do you want this breed? What do you know about this breed? They might, and should, tell you the goods and the bads about this breed. If they don't..... you might be talking to a puppy mill!

It's all consumer driven! Stop the people from wanting everything now! If an owner turns more then one dog into a shelter in a 4 yrs period.. no more dogs for them! I know, that's impossible, but one can dream.

Stop blaming good breeders for all the ills in the dog world. Start blaming the lazy and irresponsible people who buy puppies with little to no knowledge and then "get rid of them" because it's too much work for them. No one wants to buy... no more puppies!! It's pretty simple.
Dual

Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,470,580 times
Like it or not, I do cringe and then I feel sad.

I even "unfriended" a quasi-friend on Facebook b/c she was a dog breeder and was constantly posting pics. They would appear right next to status updates of rescue friends who were doing everything they could to help homeless pets. I couldn't take it anymore.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,532,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
People want what they want, and they want it NOW! I am amazed how many inquiries I get for puppies from people who want it now, right away, last week if possible. Like we have them sitting on a shelf.
Do you want a puppy now? Keeping in mind that puppies are destructive and commit one atrocity after another, there's one, or maybe two, waiting for you right now at your local pound or humane society.

Is your heart set on a particular breed? Just search the breed name with rescue after it, e.g. poodle rescue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
It's all consumer driven! Stop the people from wanting everything now! If an owner turns more then one dog into a shelter in a 4 yrs period.. no more dogs for them! I know, that's impossible, but one can dream.
I say that one pound abandonment in a lifetime is too many. But I'm not a breeder. More than one pound abandonment in four years marks the worst of the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs