U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 AM

4,762 posts, read 10,981,483 times

Advertisements

If you were to give a full grown Lab all it could eat of its food of choice (hamburger, meat, etc.), how much could the Lab eat?

Would the Lab not stop eating and continue to eat until it exploded?

I don't know how these dogs can be 1/3 the size of me, eat just as much as me, and still seem to be hungry / acting like they have not had a bite to eat in 2 years!

Poor starving things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 10:18 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,617,023 times
I once had a lab that got out of his enclosed area (he was still a pup and not yet given full run of the house), somehow got into the garage, removed the lid off the full size garbage can where I kept his dry food, climbed in, and ate himself a visit to the emergency room. Luckily he survived. So from my experience (with that and others that I've had), yes, many will just keep eating and eating and eating. Meal times were always over within a few minutes. They are always starving. lol

Old 10-28-2012, 11:27 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,966,895 times
Labs will eat until they get sick. Then they'll start eating again. We could never just leave food in the dish for him to graze whenever he wanted because it would be gone within seconds of putting it there. He'd inhale his food at feeding time within mere minutes. Once the storage container lid wasn't secure and he ate more food than seemed logically possible. Labs are just nuts when it comes to food. Hounds too.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:34 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,937,942 times
I told my husband that I suspected that the dog would eat the whole 40 lb bag if given the opportunity. I had posted awhile back about our adopted lab (last spring) coming to me to beg for food and putting her head in my lap. Our other dog would just bug us when she wants to go out so after taking her out several times when she did this, it slowed her down and now all I have to say is "You want to go out?" and she goes somewhere and lies down but if just told to go lie down, she will do it. Doesn't mean she won't nap and come right back. Have found that the more exercise she gets, the less she begs and this works with people too. Too tired to bother!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:14 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,638,818 times
This honestly just made me smile.

About 10 years ago, DH and I met some friends for a late lunch. When we got back the first thing I did was feed our dogs. It was the first time that our Chocolate Lab, Bandit, EVER refused food. Obviously, I was very concerned! It was then that I noticed that the pantry door was ajar and the extra bag of dog food was torn open. That crazy dog had eaten 3/4ths of a 37 LB bag of dog food in 3 hours

I took a closer look at Bandit and he looked like a sausage that was ready to pop! I called the vet and they said to just keep him quiet, don't offer any more food (obviously) and wait to make sure that the (ummmm) "other end" was functioning properly Thankfully, the only result was a lot more yard cleaning for a couple of days!

So...what is the eating capacity of a Lab? In my experience, its about 30 lbs of dry dog food!

Old 10-28-2012, 11:18 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,103,917 times
See the quote under my screen name.

I think that VA-Cat's estimate is about right.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 AM

4,581 posts, read 4,707,461 times
God.....this is so true. We had to watch our lab all the time when I was a kid cause he would never stop eating. He was a bottomless pit.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,966,895 times
VA-Cat does have actual measurements.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:53 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,732,994 times
There are two kinds of dogs; those who live to eat and those who eat to live

Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM

6,066 posts, read 8,321,472 times
My parents had a lab mix when I was in high school who got into the bag of dog food somehow while we were gone. I came home and her belly was bloated and there were little piles of doggie puke all over the floor...She really put a dent in a giant bag of food! My doxie is a grazer when it comes to kibbles. He eats a little at a time so I just free feed him - HUGE change from having a lab! People food is a different matter though. I'm sure he would eat himself sick if he was given the chance at some delicious people food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or