U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:31 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,088,204 times

Advertisements

Aside from the normal sit, heel, stay, drop it, come, etc., commands, what special commands have you taught your dogs?

"Pass" was our initial command for teaching our dogs to do their business on command. We didn't want to say "poopie" and "pee pee" because we were potty training children and didn't want anyone to get confused. Once the potty training was well over, we used poopy and pee pee and sometimes pass. Yes, our dogs have ALWAYS gone to the bathroom on command. It's the best command I ever taught. I highly recommend including this in initial commands because it's part of house training. It makes your life super easy.

The following are self explanatory: "inside" "outside" "up" "down" "upstairs" "downstairs" "go (anywhere)" "find (usually a person but anything lost)" "get (anything)"

"It's okay" is our reassurance command. It covers any time a dog is stressed out about anything. This includes alert barking. All they need is reassured that "it's okay" and they calm down instantly. It's multi purpose and can apply to any situation. This command is among our most used, and I believe our dogs have had happier lives because of it.

"nice" and/or "gentle" are super important commands! These are musts as first puppy commands IMO.

"stop" is for more intense situations than "stay." For example, my dogs will stop on a dime at "stop" even when running at full speed. "Stop" is multi purpose and applies to unlimited situations. The key is it is an intense command. It's urgent. Whereas, "stay" is equally obeyed and important but more casual.

That's a start. As dog lovers, we all know that our dogs have HUGE vocabulary potential.

I've always felt strongly that the more we communicate with them, the more connected we become.

Of course, every dog is different so each dog has their own special commands. For example, my hound will drink "water" on command. (It's hillarious because he doesn't even need to be in the same room with the water bowl. All I have to do is tell him to "go drink some water" and he'll go do it!) My lab was like a horse you could drag to water but couldn't make him drink. Meanhile, My lab would get his dish ("get your dish"), but my hound just gets over excited and confused by that command.

What are your special commands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 AM

741 posts, read 1,387,957 times
My oldest and smartest chihuahua knows, "WATCH OUT!"..he gets outta the way lol

Old 10-30-2012, 03:10 AM

748 posts, read 1,041,707 times
Some of the words my dogs have been taught, they learned just from talking to them in daily life. What is cool are the things they learn without being taught, somehow, my dogs know if I am getting ready to leave.

But some of the special things I have taught my dogs are "pay attention" (they look at me) I say "look" and point, they will look that direction. I taught them this with the help of a laser light.

My dogs will "smell", I can use "look" and point to the couch, a bush, the rug, then "smell" and they will smell what I point at. We play a game of "find it" where they have to wait in the other room, I hide an object in another room, tell them to come and "find it", I tell them to "smell" to help them find the object. The Rhodesian Ridge back is a sight hound, they tend to "look" for items, rather then "smell" for them.

My male knows, " turn, go left, stop" from when we use to roller blade daily. They both know "baby" and "gentle" any time I want them to go slow and be careful, around children or a small dog, they know gentle means no jumping, move slow, slow mouthing. I actually taught them this with a squeeky toy. They would last about 5 minutes and the squeeker would be torn out, so with supervision, they learned to be "gentle" with the "baby". The 5 or 6 year old child does not like it when they hear me tell the dog "be gentle, that's a baby"
One little boy was sure to let me know, "I'm NOT a baby" lol.

They also know the couch, the bedroom, truck, up, down, in, out. The know what it means when I ask if they are "hungry" or "want to eat". My male knows what "mom's shoe" is and to this day, will leave the room if mom's shoe is mentioned, he knows "bath" also.

It really is amazing how much they pay attention to our every action and response to what they do. I don't really know if my male is being protective of his home and of me, or if he just learned that he gets a response from people when he would charge at the gate, barking and jump on it. It scared people to death. I would tell him "Thank you" when he would bark if somebody was at the door. I started to realize that my saying "Thank you" sent him back for another round of barking.

I can also get Cerberus, my male to bark on command and to stop barking with a hand signal. My dogs also will sit and stay with hand signals and a snap of my fingers.

Both dogs will leave the room or the area if I tell them, "I am smoking", Cerberus will leave if he hears the lighter. I don't allow anybody to smoke around my dogs or in my house. Thora, my female, use to head into the house, but stop with half her body still outside. I have to tell her, go farther, go inside.

I could go on for days. Sharing the joys and accomplishments of having a canine who is part of the family rather then a dog out in the yard.

I wish I knew enough to teach my dog the stuff they do in free style dog dancing or agility. I think that stuff is amazing.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 AM

12,401 posts, read 31,389,583 times
Katie knows 60+ Ladybug is learning LOL She up to about 30 she & I are 100% sure of. All are Basic & Service Dog commands! No Trincks like roll over play dead or beg.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,088,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Katie knows 60+ Ladybug is learning LOL She up to about 30 she & I are 100% sure of. All are Basic & Service Dog commands! No Trincks like roll over play dead or beg.
Great! Share them!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,189,695 times
My dogs know a lot of the ones mentioned, like gentle, go, inside, outside, crate, go pee. I wish they knew drink some water! Well, I'm sure they know what it means but they don't do it. Every dog I've had has been balky about drinking when I could see they were a little overheated from playing outside or whatever.
My dogs know if I say one of the cat's names in a stern voice that means the cat is doing something it shouldn't. The dogs go over and nudge the cat with their nose, or if they can't reach it they give one bark "Mom said stop it!" All the dogs I've had with cats have enjoyed policing them (gently). It comes in handy so I don't have to go get the cat myself.
If I say "Where's your ball" one of my dogs will go find it no matter where it is. You can see her thinking, and then sometimes see a lightbulb go on, "I remember, it's in the kitchen!" Otherwise she'll look everywhere until she finds it. All my other dogs, if you asked them, would stand where they were, swivel their head a little to look, and then look at me like, "I don't know, I guess you'd better look for it."

Old 10-30-2012, 11:06 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,736,220 times
i live in a very small house with a very large dog...the first command i taught him was "back up" because there are times when theres REALY not enough room to be dancing round tyring to figure out who qeezes left and who squeezes right...so he stops i tell him to back up and he reverses so i can pass him easier.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,964,659 times
"You're on fire!" means stop, drop & roll for my shepherd mix

Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,692,134 times
"Go pee"
"OK" (start eating)
"Jump" (for entering/exiting the truck)
"Go lie down" (means get away from me and hit your bed)
"Go back" (means go hit the couch in the back room)
"Inside" (get in the house)
"Move" (means get the hell out of my way or I'll step on you)

When I'm in the kitchen, all I have to do is point towards the kitchen door to get her to leave and sit on the threshold between the front room and the kitchen

Old 10-30-2012, 05:03 PM

511 posts, read 1,979,954 times
Commands:
Inside, Outside, Do your business, Wait, Move, Back, Kitchen, Go to your room, Find It, Go get a Drink, Hup! (jump over an object or into the car), Shake it Off!- as in, right after she's had a bath, shake off the water. I won't let her out of the tub (winter) or off of the leash (summer) until she shakes off

Object/person/place identification or recognition:
Ball, Bone, Toy (rope toy), Leash, Collar, Backpack (her backpack), Dish, Kibbles, Treat/Cookie, Doggie Park, Fishing/Fishy, Hike/Walk, Bike, Kitty, Squirrel, Bird, Car... so on.

I think her most interesting command is "snake". I've taught her to locate garter snakes by scent. She won't go near the actual snake but will let me know when she's found one.

I usually talk to her conversationally... "Riley, go get a drink, you need water before we play anymore." or "Ready to go inside? Get your ball if you want to bring it in with you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or