U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:17 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,457,572 times

Advertisements

I am working on adoption from a pet rescue. It's about 1 years old and 15 lbs. I was shopping on Pet Smart and I was thinking about what I will need to buy.

Here is the list thus far:

Crate
Harness
Doggy Bed
Water dispenser (like a hamster bottle so the face doesn't get wet)
Chew toys and other toys to keep him occupied

Is there anything else that I should get? I am excited for the home visit. It's like being a new dad. I forget: Is this dog for me or my daughter?

I hope this all works out for us and the doggie. Thanks for all of the advice thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 04:29 PM

329 posts, read 1,331,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I am working on adoption from a pet rescue. It's about 1 years old and 15 lbs. I was shopping on Pet Smart and I was thinking about what I will need to buy.

Here is the list thus far:

Crate
Harness
Doggy Bed
Water dispenser (like a hamster bottle so the face doesn't get wet)
Chew toys and other toys to keep him occupied

Is there anything else that I should get? I am excited for the home visit. It's like being a new dad. I forget: Is this dog for me or my daughter?

I hope this all works out for us and the doggie. Thanks for all of the advice thus far.
I would just get a water bowl, so much easier for him (or her) to drink out of. They like a wet face..lol That dispenser thingy is if you'll be away. By harness do you mean leash? What kind of dog is it? That helps in answering further. Oh and BTW, be selective on which toys you buy. My Golden would chew to shreds certain toys within 1 minute. I would hold off on the bed, too. I bought one when my Bichon was in his crate and he would ignore it. I would start out with an old blanket, then move to a bed if he uses it. Those beds aren't cheap. I think my little one was $50.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:06 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,090,117 times
Try and get as much background on the dog as you can. Rescues can come with problems and need time to adjust. Do you know how to train? If not get a good book. I have 4 rescues and 3 were severly abused so it took some time for them to trust again. They are the light of my life, what great dogs rescuse make if they have people that will get educated......

Carrie

Old 10-10-2007, 05:24 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,458,381 times
I would definitely suggest getting a crate. Make sure it's not too big and not too small though. Big enough for your dog to stand up and turn around comfortably, but not much bigger than that. It needs to be kind of small because it's like their den. For the doggy bed I wouldn't suggest getting anything too expensive. My husband and I found doggy beds on sale for $15 each! You will want to get one that you can wash. The beds we got can be unzipped and you can take the pillow out and wash the pillow case. I think getting a harness is a good idea, but I would also suggest that you get a regular collar as well. That way your dog can where it's tags. Now, as for the water dispenser, I have never seen anything like that for dogs, but that doesn't sound like something a dog would want to use. I would suggest just getting a normal water bowl, or you could get one of those water bowls that has a water bottle type thing on it, so when your dog is low on water it automatically fills the bowl back up. And don't forget a food bowl. You will need to get doggy shampoo, brushes and combs, a leash, dog food, treats, toys, bones, etc. And you will eventually have to get flea and tick stuff and heart worm stuff. I would suggest that you get that from the vet though.

For the dog food, you will need to get a good quality food. Don't feed the dog anything that is sold at the grocery store or that you see on TV commercials, they are all poor quality foods. You don't want to feed your dog anything that contains corn (which dogs can't digest), by-products, animal digest (animal feces), artificial colors and/ or flavors, other fillers, etc. Also, you don't want to listen to your vet about nutrition. Vets take a class on nutrition that is taught by a dog food company. The vet learns whatever that company wants them to learn and then they sell that company's food in their office. Food like Iams, Science Diet, Beneful, Ol' Roy, Pedigree, Nutro, Eukanuba, Diamond, and All Purina and Pro Plan foods are all horrible foods! Some good quality dog foods are Natural Balance, Canidae, Chicken Soup for the pet lovers soul, Eagle Pack, Timberwolf Organics, Solid Gold and Innova. I'm not sure what all Petsmart has for good quality dog foods, but I know that they do sell Natural Balance. My husband and I own three APBTs and we use to feed them Natural Balance. Now we feed them Canidae. They are both wonderful foods! Also, both Natural Balance and Canidae are all life stages foods, so we can feed our 1 year 6 month old male the same food we feed our 9 month old female and our 11 month old female. We used a dog food rating chart to help us find a good dog food. It helps you go through and rate the ingredients so you can find a good quality food.

Here's the kibble rating chart

You will need your kibble's list of ingredients, as found on the bag (or oftentimes their website).
Please note, however, this is for ingredients ONLY.... so before feeding a pup be sure to look at
the protein and fat and calcium and calories in the Guaranteed Analysis.

Start with a grade of 100:

For every listing of "by-product", subtract 15 points

For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract
10 points

If there are no specific meats or meat meals, subtract 25 points

For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, or grain "middlings", subtract 10 points

If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 15 points

If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground
brown rice", "brewer’s rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points for each
occurrence

If the protein sources are not (specific) meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3
ingredients, subtract 3 points

If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 5 points

If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points (subtract 5 if corn is listed in the
top 5 ingredients)

If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 3 points

If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources),
subtract 2 points

If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 5 points

If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn’t allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn’t allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

If it contains salt, subtract 3 points

If it contains corn syrup, molasses, or other added sweetener, subtract 10 points

Extra Credit:

For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and
"chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "turkey" as 2 different sources - do
not count egg, cheese, or other similar ingredients), add 1 point

If the food contains 3 or less different mentions of grains (or other high-carb plant-based foods
like potatoes), add 5 points

If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points (if the number 1 ingredient is organic meat,
add 10 points)

If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 3 points

If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

If the food contains fruit or vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

If the food contains barley or oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

If it contains sunflower, hemp, flaxseed, or other polyunsaturated vegetable oils, add 3 points
(add 5 if it is the #1 fat)

If the vitamin and mineral sources are chelated, add 5 points

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
<70 = F

Food Grade Results
A's Score
A+ Chicken Soup for the pet lovers soul 113
A+ Eagle Pack Holistic chicken 114
A+ Eagle Pack Holistic LG and Giant Breed Adlt 113
A+ Eagle Pack Natural 104
A+ Timberwolf Organics Lamb and Venison 136
A+ Solid Gold Bison 123
A+ Solid Gold Wolf King 109
A+ Solid Gold Hund N flocken 105
A+ Solid Gold Mmillennia 111
A+ Innova 117
A+ Natural Balance Duck and Potato 114
A+ Canidae 119
A+ Foundations Chicken and Vegetable 109
A+ Flint River Ranch Fish and Chips 109
A+ Wysong Synorgon 110
A+ Flint River Ranch Lamb, Millet and Rice 117
A+ Back to Basics 107

B's
B Eukanuba Natural Lamb and Rice 87

C's
C Nutro Lamb and Rice 85

D's
D Iams Lamb and Rice 74

F's
F Pedigree Adult Complete 14
F Ol'Roy 9
F Science Diet Chicken Adult Maintainance 45
F Purina Beniful original 23
All Purina and Pro Plan foods rate as a F
F Pro Plan Giant Breed Adult 41
F Pro Plan Performance 53
F Pro Plan Chicken and Rice
F Purina Dog chow
F Purina Large Breed 40
F Diamond Lamb and Rice 61
F Diamond Performance (formerly professional)
F Diamond Large Breed 55

Here is another website that was helpful when we were trying to find the best food for our pup.. Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

And here are the websites for Canidae Canidae® Pet Foods: All Life Stages: Dry and Natural Balance Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Pet Foods :1

It would also be good for you to do some research on the breed or breeds that the dog is. Every breed is different and not every breed is right for everyone. Every breed has different temperaments, health problems, energy levels, intelligence, etc, and in order for you to be able to give the dog everything it needs, you need to know what the breed needs.

Hope this helps some! Good luck and enjoy your new family member!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:26 PM

422 posts, read 1,229,790 times
You will also need grooming products such as a brush, and bath wipes come in handy in case your dog gets into something for a quick clean up.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 PM

I was getting a Bichon Frise which was an owner surrender. Based upon its characteristics, it has not been abused (a rarity) or came from a puppy mill.

I bought a book on training dogs and a breed specific dog on the Bishon just now.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 PM

673 posts, read 2,914,751 times
I think you have the basics covered....just wanted to say BEST WISHES!! Hope it all goes well! We have a harness (the leash connects too) and we love it. Our dog does really well with it. Also, do you need a pooper scooper or anything like that?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 PM

I should get a collar for the name tag. I saw a USB thumb drive that stores the dog's info on the collar in some water tight enclosure.

I wanted a harness so he would choke himself in the process of walking.

I saw the scooper contraption.

Petsmart.com - Dog: Scoopers & Bags: The Poop Hound by Hound Dog

I have considered just getting a smaller scooper and using a plastic bag from the grocery store.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I should get a collar for the name tag. I saw a USB thumb drive that stores the dog's info on the collar in some water tight enclosure.

I wanted a harness so he would choke himself in the process of walking.

I saw the scooper contraption.

Petsmart.com - Dog: Scoopers & Bags: The Poop Hound by Hound Dog

I have considered just getting a smaller scooper and using a plastic bag from the grocery store.
Here is that water dispenser (for a crate):
Petsmart.com - Dog: Crates & Kennels: Lixit® Dog Water Bottles

Old 10-11-2007, 04:38 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,284,441 times
Defintely a tag - and the dog may be microchipped, be sure and get all of that info and WHEN you adopt, be sure and update it with the manufacturer....if the dog isn't chipped I would consider an ear tattoo. There are several types of chips, and not every vet has every piece of equipment. A tattoo ensures that your dog is easily recognized and identified.

Congrats! Home visits are exciting, but remember - although basic cleanliness is important, no one is really looking at your dust bunnies. They are looking for houseplants that are toxic, the attitude and demeanor of everyone in the home, whether that particular dog will fit into your home and your lifestyle, and your knowledge or willingness to learn about having a rescue. Relax and have fun - you may just make a new dog lover friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or