U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:47 PM

575 posts, read 3,465,468 times

Advertisements

Personally I have no interest in owning any type of bully breed myself but I am against any kind of bully ban legislation. These extremist will continue if they are allowed to ban this breed as long as they are funded, or receive attention. If they get anywhere with this on a higher state or national level, your breed could be next.

Same as guns. I have no use for a rifle, or hunting but I carry a glock27 for protection so I have to be in favor of the whole firearms package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 04:18 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,187,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
We used to raise and train dobermans in the early years. At one point, we had 3 kids under 10, and 5 dobes (the sweetest you'd ever hope to find) under 10, all living in the house. That was the age when dobermans and shepherds were the 'bad' breeds, and there was talk about eliminating them. This period was soon followed by rotties being the 'bad' ones. During those years I saw good and bad dobes, good and bad shepherds, and good and bad rotties. Some of this is due to ignorant, careless breeding, some to irgnorant & careless owners. Any "good" dog can be ruined by a bad owner.

Interestingly enough, I heard not long ago that accordingto the medical profession, the most dog bites in the country are from golden retrievers. Now, you wouldn't expect that, would you. I don't know whether those numbers are so high just because there are so many goldens in the country, or because so many of them are of careless breeding and upbringing, or a combination of factors.

I do agree that the pit bull will make the news when other dog bites will most likely be glossed over. It's just not interesting when the family poodle bites the kid next door. But, then again, a dog bite is a lot different from an actual killing. If a golden, or shepherd, or lab or any other breed started killing rather than biting, it WOULD make the news. Some attacks are particularly vicious, and it could be the tendency to maul that makes those attacks worse.

However, that being said, I agree - it's the owner that needs to be legislated, if anyone. Back yard breeding (the so-called puppy mills, not serious "hobby breeder" who strives for quality) needs to be controlled and legislated, preferably eliminated (though sadly that will never happen).

Let's also remember that PETA and other similar so called "animal rights" groups are behind many of these legislative moves. They hide behind the banner of "animal rights" while hiding their real agenda. Their agenda is to eliminate ALL pet ownership, and they will make inroads where it appears to be the easiest for starters.

If we (with other breeds) don't stand up against these kinds of breed specific moves, then our breed(s) will be next, and there won't be anyone left to stand up for us. This is the classic baloney game (get the entire sandwich, gradually over time, one slice at a time so that people don't really notice).
It is already happening. Talk to your home insurance carrier, they will give you a long list of dog breeds that will cause your insurance premiums to increase if you admit to owning one of them.

We had a problem with Animal Control a few years ago in Anchorage. The city had contracted out enforcement to a private company who was only interested in making a profit. As a result they would go on to people's property and take dogs out of the yard, even though they were behind a fence or properly chained when their owners weren't home. This happened to me. My next door neighbor witnessed Animal Control going into my backyard where I had my golden retriever/black lab chained to the porch. My dog tried to avoid them by crawling under the porch, but because she was chained all they had to do was pull her out by her chain. My dog bit one of the Animal Control people good, I was told that he had to get 14 stitches when I went to pick her up. If my neighbor hadn't called me at work and let me know so I could go down to Animal Control immediately with her shot record, they would've put her down. Her shot record was up-to-date, but they still decided to hold her for 9 days before releasing her to me and charged me $150. They beat her pretty good during those 9 days, I had to take her to a vet for treatment after I got her out. I paid them the $150 by check, then canceled the check when I finally got my dog. I wasn't the only one who registered a complaint either, apparently this had been going on for quite some time. Needless to say, this company lost the contract when it came time to issue a new one. All I can say is that they are damn lucky I never found out who beat my dog, because I would've given them the same treatment they gave her. No law enforcement, even Animal Control, should EVER be put into the hands of private industry.

She got a big t-bone steak all to herself the night I got her back for doing precisely what she was suppose to do. I was very proud of her.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:01 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,462,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I will admit I am leery of pit bulls. I teach paiting, and was asked to do a private lesson for someone in their home. I went there and set up all the brushes and paints and things on the dining room table, and got into the lesson and here comes a pit bull sauntering out of one of the other rooms...he spent the whole time in the dining room with us. I was not comfortable with him there, and I never met his eyes, just kept a watch on his whereabouts out of the corner of my eye.

We used to raise and train dobermans in the early years. At one point, we had 3 kids under 10, and 5 dobes (the sweetest you'd ever hope to find) under 10, all living in the house. That was the age when dobermans and shepherds were the 'bad' breeds, and there was talk about eliminating them. This period was soon followed by rotties being the 'bad' ones. During those years I saw good and bad dobes, good and bad shepherds, and good and bad rotties. Some of this is due to ignorant, careless breeding, some to irgnorant & careless owners. Any "good" dog can be ruined by a bad owner.

Interestingly enough, I heard not long ago that accordingto the medical profession, the most dog bites in the country are from golden retrievers. Now, you wouldn't expect that, would you. I don't know whether those numbers are so high just because there are so many goldens in the country, or because so many of them are of careless breeding and upbringing, or a combination of factors.

I do agree that the pit bull will make the news when other dog bites will most likely be glossed over. It's just not interesting when the family poodle bites the kid next door. But, then again, a dog bite is a lot different from an actual killing. If a golden, or shepherd, or lab or any other breed started killing rather than biting, it WOULD make the news. Some attacks are particularly vicious, and it could be the tendency to maul that makes those attacks worse.

However, that being said, I agree - it's the owner that needs to be legislated, if anyone. Back yard breeding (the so-called puppy mills, not serious "hobby breeder" who strives for quality) needs to be controlled and legislated, preferably eliminated (though sadly that will never happen).

Let's also remember that PETA and other similar so called "animal rights" groups are behind many of these legislative moves. They hide behind the banner of "animal rights" while hiding their real agenda. Their agenda is to eliminate ALL pet ownership, and they will make inroads where it appears to be the easiest for starters.

If we (with other breeds) don't stand up against these kinds of breed specific moves, then our breed(s) will be next, and there won't be anyone left to stand up for us. This is the classic baloney game (get the entire sandwich, gradually over time, one slice at a time so that people don't really notice).
I don't have much time right now so I didn't get to read all of your post or any of the other new posts (new to me anyway ), but I did want to say a couple things. First of all, I love Dobies! lol! My grandma bred them for years and my mother grew up with them. I have always wanted a Dobie and actually, we were looking for a Dobie at first, but then we decided that APBTs were a bit better fit for us. Also, you said "If we (with other breeds) don't stand up against these kinds of breed specific moves, then our breed(s) will be next, and there won't be anyone left to stand up for us." I agree with that completely, and like I said, I didn't get to read all of your post, I caught the part about raising Dobies and the last paragraph, so I'm not sure if you still own Dobies or if you own a different breed or breeds, but I did want to say that it's already not just "pit bulls" anymore. "Pit bulls" (American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers), Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepherds, Chows, Huskies, Cane Corsos, Mastiffs, American Bulldogs and a few other breeds are the most commonly banned and/ or restricted breeds. Breeds like Belgian Malanois, Alaskan Malamutes, Great Danes, Irish Wolf Hounds, Scottish Deerhounds, Akitas, Tosa Inus and many other breeds are also being considered "dangerous" breeds in a lot of places. As well as any dog that is over 100 pounds, regardless of breed or mix and any mixed breed that even resembles one of the so-called "dangerous" breeds! Unless of course, the owner has some kind of solid proof that the dog doesn't have any of the so-called "dangerous" breeds in it. This BSL crap has already gotten way out of hand! Anyway, I have to go, but I'll be back later to read and respond to the rest of your post as well as the other new posts.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:01 AM

19 posts, read 53,917 times
I love the Pitbull and appreciate every aspect of them and what they are about I believe the dogs disposition has alot to do with its breeding it is a dog that was bred for a specific use just like any other working dog. This breed is a great breed but if not kept up to a high standard of breeding you will have people mean dogs which is what you have today, alot of dogs that are people mean and still being bred. Something has to be done so I am all for BSL and ridding the streets of bad specimens of the breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or