Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times

Advertisements

Noting the bump post (revived zombie topic), my animal control said recordings were worthless because they couldn't authenticate them.

The only way they could authenticate dog barking was sending out an officer (good luck at 10 pm) or possibly arrange a meeting between dog owner and complainer, see if counseling would work. This works better if there are multiple neighbors with the same complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Noting the bump post (revived zombie topic), my animal control said recordings were worthless because they couldn't authenticate them.

The only way they could authenticate dog barking was sending out an officer (good luck at 10 pm) or possibly arrange a meeting between dog owner and complainer, see if counseling would work. This works better if there are multiple neighbors with the same complaint.
That depends on where you live.
In my city the police will come out and if they hear the dogs barking the police will talk to them or leave a note and the next day animal control comes over to lay down the law to the owners of the dog.
Basically, dog barking after 10PM for a period of about five minutes or more, or during the day for long periods.

My neighbor used to park two pit bulls in a large crate in the backyard, and two others to run around free, needless to say, he no longer does that and he no longer has four pit bulls. However, when he leaves for work at 3PM, two pit bulls tend to run outside and bark almost continuously for about five hours until someone comes home and stops them.

I have talked with him and suggested he block that darn dog door and keep the dogs inside while he is not home. He says if he does that the dogs will destroy the inside of the house. And he basically said if I don't like it call the cops.
So I did, he is now on notice. I'll see where it goes from here.

My dogs never bark, so why should I have to put up with hours of constant barking due to an ignorant neighbor?

Old 03-08-2017, 10:21 AM

In my area dogs can bark as long as they want except between 10 p.m. and some early hour (7 a.m.?). Nothing can be done outside of quiet hours. Nothing.

If I called the police they would just call animal control, and after 10 p.m. an animal control response is unlikely (but not impossible).

Old 03-08-2017, 11:41 AM

997 posts, read 936,910 times
I have dogs and they bark. Dogs do bark. It is their job.

My dogs are obnoxious and I know this. I keep them inside because I don't want them to disturb the neighbors. I let them go outside a few times a day, but if I hear barking I bring them back in.

I am not so self-centered that I think my dogs barking is pleasant to others. I am used to it, and I ignore it but another dog who is left outside alone and barks all day will annoy me. People do that. It is thoughtless and inconsiderate.

I think that neighbors should be neighborly and tolerate a reasonable amount of inconvenience, because dogs and children and adults are annoying at times. That is the risk you take when you buy a house that is next to another house.

My dogs do bark sometimes but I make a big effort to be considerate. If my neighbor is standing by the fence and my little dog is outside then there might be a moment of inconvenience for the neighbor. Sorry about that. I take care of it.

The neighbors have giant trees on their property that constantly litter my property and cover the roof of my house. It is a constant mess, not to mention a fire hazard and a problem with my insurance. They have annoying trees that damage my property in various ways. They are too big to trim on my side. It isn't the trees fault, and I don't get mad at the tree. I put up with the inconvenience because I don't own the world and the trees are being trees. Dogs will be dogs, and kids will be kids.

I am not perfect, they aren't perfect but you shouldn't let your dog stay outside alone and bark and bark and bark.

I hate the pattern bark that goes woof, woof, woof....pause,...woof, woof, woof......pause.....woof woof woof...pause, and on and on all night and day...

If your dog does that, then you are asking for it.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:49 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiling li View Post
Old neighbors who have been living in the same neighborhood since the day the house was sold can be pain in the butt. They think they owe the place and they do bully new neighbors. I moved in this neighborhood for a little over a year, the same old couple have knocked at my door 3 times. First time, my kids screamed too loud once at night, 2nd time the dog i babysat for my friend barked all day when i was at church, the 3rd time he bitched about my dog barks too much on Friday and Saturday. He is very passive aggressive and he asked me to get a electronic collar , I told him I do not know about that I will have to do some research. The worst part is he told me that my other next door neighbor moved out because we are too loud. After I heard that, I was pissed. He really knows how to push the button by using something or someone to insult me. If my neighbors have a problems, they need to have the nerve to talk to me directly , I do not need him as a spokesman, If they do not have the courage to talk to him, stop BS behind my back. Some people were born complainers, if they do not complain, they can not live a happy life.
I would tell you once to tone it down and then next time call animal control. If I would hear your kids more than once at night, I would talk to you and then next time call the cops if you don't get it under control.

Be a good neighbor and don't be a nuisance.

I have dogs, love dogs and HATE people who let their dogs/kids be loud. It is inconsiderate and rude. I want to take a nap whenever I like it and ignorant and loud neighbors can ruin others peace at home.

My dog is not alone outside because she barks. I am a good neighbor and expect the same from others around me.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:56 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Dogs do bark.

Mine alert to sounds-- and specifically people-- and will bark. Mostly this is inside- but just to show, keeping inside doesnt necessarily stop barking but hopefully it stops the nuisance to the neighbors.

And yes, read up on nuisance barking and its the endless bored bark that many dogs do when left home (usually inside ) all day while their owners work- a few hours straight or more.
(PS just looked up our county code- and its defined as 10/30 mins- ten straight mins uninterrupted or periods of intermittent barking a minimum of 30 mins that are NOT provoked by someone other than the owner- so that would specifically exclude alert barking...)
It is important to look up the codes specific to your area...

It is NOT defined as incident triggered barking- dogs tend to bark at things not "just barking".
By this definition the OPs dogs potty and recreational trips to their own yard for half hour or less arent legally nuisances- but the neighbor's storming over are-

I would honestly think about contacting the police to document their over the top responses - its important to estabilish a paper trail around harassment.

And depending on your dog (we have a security breed) familiarizing them with your neighbors may or may not stop them alerting to humans that come close to the property, especially at night.

(and we have greeted all our neighbors and intro'd the dogs, they still bark at the mailman and people going by, luckily its a pretty quiet neighborhood, and petty crime is up, so no one is complaining..)

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 03-08-2017 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 03-08-2017, 01:00 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Check your local animal control ordinances, when I lived in Nevada the barking ordinance allowed your neighbor to file a civil complaint against you if your dog barked once. The only requirement was that the 'barking disturbed them'. We have two dogs they are not chronic barkers and are in the house most of the time and they are always in the house at night. But when they were on the deck they would bark at coyote and other wildlife in the ravine below us, we would holler at them and they would stop..no problem for 10 years, then we had a nut job move in next door and we started getting warnings from animal control about our dogs barking, we laughed it off because they never barked for more than 10 seconds- well next thing we knew we found ourselves at a hearing. This woman trained a video camera on our deck and recorded every single bark, we still felt ok about it because how could anyone care about a dog barking in the middle of the day for 10 seconds? Well the hearing officer found us guilty and fined us, she said if your dog barks one time and that disturbs a neighbor you are in violation.

We started going outside with them but they would still bark once or twice before we could get them inside - she reported us again and we got fined again. We put bark collars on them but they would bark once before they got shocked, she reported us again- now we are up to a $200 fine. We were told the next time she complains we would be arrested for a misdemeanor. When she reported us again for our cockatiel singing, we sold the house and moved out of that miserable state
Wow, just read this. Thats really different- was that a city specific ordinance?
Its pretty dog- friendly here....

Good to know about the state of Nevada!

Old 03-08-2017, 04:16 PM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Wow, just read this. Thats really different- was that a city specific ordinance?
Its pretty dog- friendly here....
Good to know about the state of Nevada!
It's a Washoe County Ordinance and as far as I know it hasn't been changed. After we sold our house the crazy lady who kept reporting our dogs went after one of our neighbors who had two little dachshunds, same deal as with us the dogs were in the house all night and only barked occasionally during the day. That neighbor got 4 complaints so the final one was filed in criminal court. When she went to trial she brought video of the crazy lady crawling along her fence line waving a broom at the dogs to make them bark and the judge said it didn't matter there was nothing in the law that allowed a dog to bark because it was being annoyed so she was still guilty. She got a small fine but put her house up for sale and moved to another county.

We have the same two dogs here in Sacramento that we had in Reno and the funny thing is, our neighbors see us out walking the dogs and comment that they had no idea we had dogs- that's how awful these two boys are

Last edited by 2sleepy; 03-08-2017 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
When she went to trial she brought video of the crazy lady crawling along her fence line waving a broom at the dogs to make them bark and the judge said it didn't matter there was nothing in the law that allowed a dog to bark because it was being annoyed so she was still guilty.
That's just crazy!

Old 03-08-2017, 08:26 PM

997 posts, read 936,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Dogs do bark.

Mine alert to sounds-- and specifically people-- and will bark. Mostly this is inside- but just to show, keeping inside doesnt necessarily stop barking but hopefully it stops the nuisance to the neighbors.

And yes, read up on nuisance barking and its the endless bored bark that many dogs do when left home (usually inside ) all day while their owners work- a few hours straight or more.
(PS just looked up our county code- and its defined as 10/30 mins- ten straight mins uninterrupted or periods of intermittent barking a minimum of 30 mins that are NOT provoked by someone other than the owner- so that would specifically exclude alert barking...)
It is important to look up the codes specific to your area...

It is NOT defined as incident triggered barking- dogs tend to bark at things not "just barking".
By this definition the OPs dogs potty and recreational trips to their own yard for half hour or less arent legally nuisances- but the neighbor's storming over are-

I would honestly think about contacting the police to document their over the top responses - its important to estabilish a paper trail around harassment.

And depending on your dog (we have a security breed) familiarizing them with your neighbors may or may not stop them alerting to humans that come close to the property, especially at night.

(and we have greeted all our neighbors and intro'd the dogs, they still bark at the mailman and people going by, luckily its a pretty quiet neighborhood, and petty crime is up, so no one is complaining..)

That's insane. Are birds allowed to chirp? What about the squirrels? Thunder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs