U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 PM

859 posts, read 1,895,964 times

Advertisements

If there is enough complains they can hand tickets out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 12:43 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,427,827 times
Yeah the animal control person said they could fine us after a few complaints. Beleive me I tried to explain to the husband that we JUST moved in and apologized profusely. HE didn't care!! Then I see the wife pacing up and down my street to see where the noise is coming from and sure enough she waltzes right up to my front porch. I opened the door and she starts laying into me how our dog's barking is interfering with her magazine reading! My husband overhears and he is JUST fed up with this so they get into an argument! I calm him down and apologize again and bring the dogs in. Then yesterday they called animal control. When they go out they go out alone. They are out about 30 mins. tops!! They are both indoor dogs. They go out do their business enjoy the sunshine, and come inside. We do have 6ft privacy fences all the way around but if the neighbor's dogs are out, they notice. We have decided to get the bark collar, and only take them out to the front yard to potty and we will do nightly walks with them. The only thing is we can walk them only after work each day. Anyhow, thanks for all your replies. These people are just complainers. And I can only guess what they will complain of next after we resolve this issue.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:50 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,219,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I don't know about that! A while back we had Brooklyn playing out in the yard and he was playing with the tire swing we have. He will jump up and grab the tire swing to try to get a piece of it off and once he gets a piece of it he just lays down and chews on it (We always take it from him before he can really chew it up because I doubt that's good for him ). He's not being aggressive or doing anything wrong. He's just playing like dogs do. Anyway, the neighbor that lives behind and to the side of us called animal control and said that we were "making our dog attack a tire!" First of all, we weren't making our dog do anything, second, I wouldn't call that attacking, he's playing! He wouldn't attack anyone unless someone attacked me first! So they gave us a ticket that we had to pay. It wasn't a big deal, just a ticket, but I couldn't believe that they could even do that! We didn't do anything wrong!

Yeah, and if this was a cute little tiny chihuahua hanging off a tire I can almost guarantee nobody would complain...

Just the other day I brought my dog over to my friends house (he has a fenced in yard) and I let Lady run around like a crazy woman!..lol...anyway, the neighbor next door was making stupid comments about her. All because she was running in my friends yard??? He said it was scaring him??? GMAB.
Like I said...people love to complain about anything...

Old 10-11-2007, 12:54 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,219,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Yeah the animal control person said they could fine us after a few complaints. Beleive me I tried to explain to the husband that we JUST moved in and apologized profusely. HE didn't care!! Then I see the wife pacing up and down my street to see where the noise is coming from and sure enough she waltzes right up to my front porch. I opened the door and she starts laying into me how our dog's barking is interfering with her magazine reading! My husband overhears and he is JUST fed up with this so they get into an argument! I calm him down and apologize again and bring the dogs in. Then yesterday they called animal control. When they go out they go out alone. They are out about 30 mins. tops!! They are both indoor dogs. They go out do their business enjoy the sunshine, and come inside. We do have 6ft privacy fences all the way around but if the neighbor's dogs are out, they notice. We have decided to get the bark collar, and only take them out to the front yard to potty and we will do nightly walks with them. The only thing is we can walk them only after work each day. Anyhow, thanks for all your replies. These people are just complainers. And I can only guess what they will complain of next after we resolve this issue.

Sounds like the neighbors are little unstable. And if they are the type of people I'm thinking...give it time, and they will come up with more ridiculous complaints.
I'm hoping they don't...but....
I am sorry to hear that you were forced to get the bark collar.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 PM

5,640 posts, read 17,264,484 times
Now you know why the people that moved sold the place. Perhaps they couldn't stand the complainers anymore... from now on, keep a log of your interactions with these people... they sound like potential NFHs.

I would seriously work with a dog trainer if you can't train them yourself and honestly try and train your dogs to not bark so much. Block off so they can't see the other neighbor dogs with a fence or something.

My one dog would only bark when I was NOT in the yard with her, as a result she was never left unattended, not a bad idea anyway.

If the neighbors keep complaining, you may want to keep a log of exactly how long your dogs DO bark, go on barkingdogs.net and get their time and frequency log so you can prove your dogs aren't barking that much... or keep track of how much the neighbors dogs bark... or this may just demonstrate how much they ALL actually DO bark.

I recommend that site, gives good tips on how to get your dog to stop unnecessary barking.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,078,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
from what i read there is a collar with spray that goes off when the dog barks. It startles the dog, and after a while the dog learns not bark.. I have read it works
better than the other type of collar. however some dogs get so smart, they learn
they can bark when the spray is gone. check out this one. also with some dogs, such putting on the collar stops the barking. for your pug, that other collar I think is way to big for a tiny dog. read reviews on the both types.
Oh Gosh that collar sounds awful. Think of it this way.........if you wouldn't put it on a person or child.......don't put it on a dog.
The neighbors obviously have nothing better to do. As one person said, they need a hobby.
It sounds like the owner of the dogs is very responsible.
We rent in SC in the winter months. Our little poodle was tied out for about 3 minutes. One of us stood inside the glass door because it was raining a bit.
We stood by the puzzle and waited for him to be done.
Within those few minutes...........as he was already back in the house, someone called us in ( to security)for an "unattended dog barking and tied out!"........
Usually we had walked him, and usually he was not tied out........but, it took one crabby person who walked by, then raced home to make a fuss.
Immediately we got a call from the owner of the home , as they get charged for complaints.
The entire thing was just stupid. It was just one cranky neighbor with nothing better to do.
I see you have a 6 foot fence.........well, I'd maybe try for higher on their side if you could if not.....howabout going for some evergreens that are already at least 7 or 8 feet tall and plant them in a hurry..............They are going to complain about everything you do......so get ready.......Do that ledger as suggested by a poster.
Also, work hard on making a better barrier. My daughter went through this with an old,cranky neighbor........and if it wasn't the dog it was their music or "hearing" them in their own home saying this or that.......just a big ole' busy-body. And it looks like you have TWO .........YIKES
I think the best advice here is the" extended" fence.......a nice tall, tall fence........even if its on the crankys side only.
Obviously they are not interested in being friendly, or they would have mentioned it in a nice manner and with some suggestions of their own.

Last edited by Summering; 10-11-2007 at 01:18 PM..

Old 10-11-2007, 05:15 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,451,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Yeah, and if this was a cute little tiny chihuahua hanging off a tire I can almost guarantee nobody would complain...

Just the other day I brought my dog over to my friends house (he has a fenced in yard) and I let Lady run around like a crazy woman!..lol...anyway, the neighbor next door was making stupid comments about her. All because she was running in my friends yard??? He said it was scaring him??? GMAB.
Like I said...people love to complain about anything...
What made me so mad was that the people that called animal services on us own a Boxer that they do the same thing with! I guess they thought that if we play with our dogs like people normally play with their dogs, ours will some how turn into vicious, man-eating, monsters simply because they are APBTs!

We don't have a fenced in yard, so everyone can see when we are playing with our dogs. We wanted to put a fence up, but we can't, we are renting. Anyway, we always have our dogs on leashes or runs when they are outside, we don't abuse our dogs or train them to be mean in anyway, they don't even bark when they are outside! What in the world would anyone have to complain about?! Our neighbors just moved back up north not too long ago, but when they were here they said that if they didn't know us and already know that we have dogs, they wouldn't have known we had dogs! Obviously we aren't doing anything wrong! It's amazing how ridiculous people can be! Oh well though, what can you do?

Old 10-11-2007, 05:25 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,451,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
If there is enough complains they can hand tickets out.
I'm not sure if your post was in response to my post, BrainH's post or what, but I wanted to ask you if you knew how many complaints you had to get before you get a ticket and are you supposed to be informed that people are complaining about you?? We know everyone that lives right around us and no one has a problem with our dogs except the people that complained about us. And the only reason they have a problem with us is because they don't like the breed we own! We never heard about them complaining at all until we got that ticket? I'm wondering if they had complained before that? We haven't changed anything that we do because we haven't done anything wrong at all, and we haven't had anything happen since then! lol!

Old 10-11-2007, 05:31 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,489,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Then I see the wife pacing up and down my street to see where the noise is coming from and sure enough she waltzes right up to my front porch. I opened the door and she starts laying into me how our dog's barking is interfering with her magazine reading! My husband overhears and he is JUST fed up with this so they get into an argument!
ummm I'd complain about them snooping around my house and yelling at me while on my property!!!!!!!!! I think that is called trespassing in Florida

who stuck a stick up their butts?

Old 10-11-2007, 05:42 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,142,807 times
Talking Give them an alternative...

My dog only barks when there is another critter in the yard (moose, bear, another dog, or cat, etc.), like she is suppose to do. Fortunately, I don't have any neighbors nearby to be disturbed. Even still, I don't let her bark outside after 10:00pm. She has free access to the backyard any time she wants, but if it is after 10:00pm and I hear her bark I call her back inside.

My suggestion is to open up some windows that face your complaining neighbors and blare some offensively loud music in their general direction. When they come to complain, and they sound like just the type that would, give them the choice of your dog barking during reasonable hours of the day, or your favorite music selections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or