U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:57 AM

38,690 posts, read 88,993,714 times

Advertisements

One more thing that bears mentioning but nobody seems to have brought up, and that is this: once you use an anti-bark collar on your dog, it is very very difficult to train him on an "invisible fence" collar, and vice-versa. It's just too confusing for the poor critter to sort out the two sets of behaviors as separate and distinct triggers. It doesn't seem to apply to your present situation what with your existing privacy fence, but it's something to remember for the future in case you move to a place with no such fence, and it's something that others here probably should know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 03:58 PM

859 posts, read 1,897,647 times
Like I said before, IF I see that the Person trys, I wont call the Animal Controll right away. But looks like this person here didnt really do anything. Besides make up an exsuse that the Neighbor dos started/ do it also.
I dont be mean or rude while talking , but you can complain in a *nice *way.

The neirghbor dog also comes in my yard every so often, and I will call her up and tell her to please get her dog, he is usin my yard for a Dump site. NO problem. No reason to call animal controll, she comes over and gets her dog, and usuelly takes care of the Poop ...lol

My dogs bark, but I controll it.

Nothing worse tho then Neihbors who let their dogs run free, and tell me
* MY dogs are trained they dont leave the Yard!*

Yet, I have pics of their dogs in my yard lol..

Anyway, I hope they all forgett about the bad start and get a good relationship with the Neighbors,

Old 10-14-2007, 04:42 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,828,405 times
Do you live next door to me???
I had the same problem with my neighbor only he was yelling and screaming at me because they barked at him. I learned from other neighbors he had called animal control on one of them. He is also suspected of poisoning the dogs that use to live here. I asked other neighbors to tell me if my dogs bothered them. One guy sleeps during the day and he said they don't bother him. I too only let them out for less than 30 minutes several times a day.

I did what some here recommended.
I had chain link fence so I put up reed fencing on that side so they wouldn't see them. I also started going out with them and standing outside so if they did bark, I could correct them.
They no longer bark at him or his kids in the backyard which was his main complaint. I also caught his boys kicking the fence when the dogs were outside..
Of course, he still isn't happy because he yelled 'Shut up' one day when one barked one time while playing with another dog on my deck away from the him and the fence. But then I have lived here 2 years and that was the only time he ever said anything to me or even acknowledged I lived here.
While he didn't call animal control which he threatened to do, I did go talk to the animal control officer to explain the ordinance on barking dogs. I felt better knowing where I stood.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-14-2007 at 05:01 PM..

Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,225,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I had the same problem with my neighbor only he was yelling and screaming at me because they barked at him. I learned from other neighbors he had called animal control on one of them. He is also suspected of poisoning the dogs that use to live here.

This is the very reason I will not let my dogs outside by themselves. I go out with them on their leads 4-5 times a day...no matter what the weather or time of night. And if I don't, my pet sitter does it for me.
Too many freaks and animal haters live in this world to take a risk of leaving our beloved pets outside and become vulnerable to the wacked out thinking of a crazed neighbor.
People who live their life like that are worthless POS to want to kill or purposely injure an animal. *What goes around comes around, for people like that*

Old 10-15-2007, 05:43 AM

859 posts, read 1,897,647 times
when we first mooved here ( 11 years ago) I had a couple of Husky's, one was pregnant. I guess someone had a beef my with late husband and poisend my female.She died in the night..... I called the Police.they told me * Do you know who did this?* I told them well now... not per say, I do have a good idea tho. They told me that was not good enough.
That was that ! Noone cared!

I am always amazed at what people can do to Animals.... its like they have no heart

Old 10-15-2007, 08:51 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,612,910 times
Would like to chime in. After reading through the thread I think I go with Kelley3120. Your neighbors may be overreacting because of past experiences and a fear that they are in for a problem if they don't nip it in the bud. Instead of apologizing indicate you are going to stop the problem. If they perceive it as a problem it is a problem because you have angry neighbors-not nice to live with. Go out with them when they are put out, perhaps the barker on a lead, and stop the barking. Get them to do their stuff in silence which can be done with leash correction and treats. Get a trainer if you must. Then most likely they can be left for longer times without barking and all will be happy. Personally, I think the approach of "what is wrong with these people?" and "what can they do to me?" is going to keep contention going and you want happy dogs, happy neighbors, and a happy life in your new home. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:10 PM

265 posts, read 1,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Three times my backyard neighbors have complained that my dog, the mixed breed, is barking too much. The second day we moved in the husband came over steaming during the day and told me to put my dogs in b/c they had been barking for the last 2 hours (untrue) then 5 days later the wife came over during the day and said my dogs had been barking non stop for the last 30 mins. Today the animal control came over to issue us a warning stating the neighbors complained that last night our dogs had been barking for 2 hours. They are not even out that long!! I spoke to Animal control today and they suggested we borrow one of their anti barking collars. How safe are these things?
Oh good God...you got your work cut out for you. First, is there any chance you're renting and don't own? Regardless, I would in all seriousness tell your neighbors the next time they complain that if a barking dog is the worst of their day, they should consider themselves lucky!!

As I'm sure you know, dogs bark to communicate. And with the exception of late night hours, you have every right to allow your dogs time to communicate...having said that, you may want to walk them in the neigborhood at least once a day--not only does it give you the opportunity to meet new neighbors and gain potential allies, but it also will help diminish their energy--and likely their barking. As for the other times, can you be out there with them for all or part of the time? As for the collars--I wouldn't do it. Essentially it's the equivalent of punishing your dog for communicating. Good luck to you...

Old 01-30-2008, 11:29 AM

1,917 posts, read 6,434,684 times
Update. I go out with my dogs to the backyard and they STILL bark!! I throw the ball/toys to them etc, and they Still bark at the neighbor's kids jumping on the trampoline next door! I think the squeak of the trampoline bothers them that and the kids are out there screaming up a storm!! Now those neighbors called animal control and the HOA on us!! AGGHHH I thought we were on friendly terms. So I apologized to the lady and told them we would take steps to correct it. Yes, we are renting (believe me we are GLAD we are, b/c we are getting out of here as soon as we can away from these picky people) So anyway, now I have to look outside to see if the neighbor's kids are in the backyard playing, and I have to wait to let my dogs outside to do their business b/c if they bark , heaven forbid we may get a complaint again. But those kids ARE ALWAYS playing on the trampoline, so where are my rights? When do I get to go out and enjoy my backyard with my animals?? I just ordered a shock collar for my dog. They are expensive and I will have to let them out in turns. I can't walk them out front because they can STILL hear those kids screaming outside!! Now, my husband works at night and on Saturday mornings those kids are out REALLY early screaming in the back yard, they don't let my husband sleep But we don't say a thing to them. I mean they're kids, right? ((rolls eyes))

Last edited by CTR36; 01-30-2008 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,481,010 times
I would just tell the dogs when they start no bark-then if they continue bring them in.

I think b4 they can do anything a.c. they need to have the complaint in writing and either one or 2 people to back this up. welcome to the neighborhood as Mr Rogers would say! One place where i lived we had a crazy that would sent out letters to any person with a dog. The letter was not signed and had all this cease and lawyer talk in it with red stamps. We just laughed off. The dogs were always on a leash etc., seems he thought dogs could not walk on the public street.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:55 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,186,296 times
File a complaint about their kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or