U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,831 times

Advertisements

I got my first barking dog "complaint" last night. I was sitting in my living room talking with my family and I hear my dog barking. So I go out there as fast as I can to get her to stop and put her inside. Whenever she barks we try our hardest to get out there and make her stop right away. We never let her go on barking (she's usually barking because other dogs are barking, she's not the only dog that barks in the neighborhood). Anyway, I get out there and tell my dog to come in and all of a sudden I hear this yelling coming from the neighbors' house behind us saying "You can't let your dog bark like that, people are trying to sleep." I didn't say anything but I was thinking what do you think I'm doing out here? Taking a stroll in the yard. No, I'm trying to get my dog to stop barking and put her inside. Yelling didn't make things better. I don't let my dog bark! If she starts barking, I put her in as fast as I can. I don't know why my dog was barking in the first place, but when that lady started yelling my dog started barking louder and she went crazy. She didn't want to come in after that. I don't blame my dog for barking at her. If someone was yelling at me in the dark, I would bark to. She's a guard dog, what do you expect.

I know that I'm at fault because it was my dog that was barking and it was getting late, but she could have handled it a lot better. I think that yelling out your window is more rude than a barking dog. She complained that people were sleeping. Well I don't think those sleeping people appreciated her yelling either. If you have a problem with my dog barking or anything else, don't yell at me, come over and we can have a polite conversation about it and try to resolve the issue or file a complaint with the city. I'm going to try harder to make sure my dog doesn't bark especially when it is getting dark outside, but am I wrong in thinking this lady was rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 02:10 PM

893 posts, read 440,072 times
My dear friend and neighbor had a beagle they kept outside and she didn't want to be outside because dogs want to be the the pack, their owners. Anyway the dog barked a lot as beagles do and it drove me crazy. My friend was over one evening on the deck and her dog was barking, she said who's dog is that? Is that Jo? I said yes, she didn't realize that the dog barked so much cause she was used to it. I never really heard the dog that often after that. It's kind of like kids.... we tune them out when they are ours.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:32 AM

8,062 posts, read 16,184,066 times
CTR36,
I'm afraid if it wasn't the dog barking, it would be something else, sigh. Those neighbors sound like they're unhappy people.

The home next door to mine has been empty since shortly after I moved here and a lovely family moved in about two months ago. My dogs weren't used to having activity next door, and when the family moved in with their dog, they started barking all of the time, sigh. They're indoor dogs, though, so it's bugging ME and not the neighbors.

My dogs are finally getting used to the people and won't bark at them but whenever their dog is out (which is a LOT of the time), it comes up to our fence and sometimes tries to dig under it to get into my yard and play with my brood. That, of course, gets all three of mine barking like mad! I was SO embarrassed because my dogs had to go out to potty after midnight one night last week, their dog was out, and mine started barking their heads off! I ran outside to quiet them down and I saw the husband come out in his jammies to take their dog inside.

Thank goodness my new neighbors are reasonable! My dogs don't bark like mad unless their dog is out, and I explained that to them. They understood completely. And they explained that their dog is a fairly recent rescue and they're still having potty training issues with him so he's outside more than he otherwise would be.

I think your dogs will settle down once they get used to the sights and sounds of the neighborhood. Mine aren't barking nearly as much since they've gotten used to the new neighbors. BUT, if their dog is out and gets yours barking, call Animal Control immediately! Let them see how it feels to be on the other end of the call! You shouldn't be the one having to walk on egg shells all of the time!!!! And just maybe it will get the neighbors to communicate reasonably!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:48 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,828,405 times
What kind of fence do you have? I had a problem with my neighbor who HATES dogs and has called the police on other neighbor's dogs. I talked to my other neighbors and they all told me it was him. One guy sleeps during the day and he said my dogs didn't bother him.

I had a chain link fence and of course they barked when they saw him approaching his fence.. I solved the problem temporairly by putting up a bamboo fence so they couldn't see him or his kids. They really didn't bark at the kids, only him. I just had a privacy fence put up since the bamboo was starting to fall apart. That solved my problem. Of course they do bark when they play but at least they aren't barking when they see him.

FWIW I never left them outside all day or when I was not at home, and I always brought them in if they bark at anything.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:00 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,644,456 times
I had the same problem. One of my dogs is quite a barker, but much of it was for attention from the neighbors as she's very friendly. One evening, the woman called me and told me to bring in the dogs (who aren't out that often) because she was trying to BBQ. She told me her husband keeps saying that he'll have to put up a privacy fence because he can't put up with the dogs. She'll also yell over the fence (chain link) to bring in the dogs because they've had enough of the barking. One day, Katy dog was barking and the husband slammed his back door.

I've lived here for 20 years and have only had the dogs for just under 5 years and those neighbors have barely lived there a year.

We live out in the country but unfortunately, it's still in a small neighborhood. Well, I had finally had enough. I spent $1,750 to put up a cedar privacy fence because I was sick of them saying they were going to do it and gripe, gripe, etc. Their dog barks a lot but because she is tiny, the bark is not as loud.

Anyway, I could never be happier with my new privacy fence. My dog doesn't see them and therefore, doesn't bark. She'll still bark when she seems something behind our yard as it's wide open country back there or if she sees someone or some loud vehicle come up the street, but the barking is short lived.

When I told her the workers would be in the yard because I was putting up a fence, she said, "I hope you're not doing it because of me." I said, "Of course not; it's because my dogs bark." Duh to her.

And another thing, I don't have to look at all the crap they have in their backyard, an eyesore that was getting on my nerves. I am so happy with my fence as it's serving more purposes than one. I never thought I would absolutely adore a fence so much.

Oh, and about the bark collars, I think that is cruel and I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 04-19-2008 at 08:11 PM..

Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 PM

7,541 posts, read 16,351,968 times
A lady across the street (around 80) told me she likes to hear my dog bark when people go by because it lets her know people are around. I think she likes the security.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:06 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,828,405 times
As a side note.. one day Mia, who is about the size of a beagle and loves kids and men, ran out the front door. My nasty neighbor was outside washing his car and when he sees Mia he starts backing up behind his car. Luckily she stayed clear of him and I finally got her but I realized he is afraid of dogs. I think he makes a deal about them to hide the fact that he is afraid of them.

You can call me Dr. Keeper .. my couch is available for consultations for kibble.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,723 times
Exclamation dog barking

before you call me a terrible neighbor - please understand that my husband and I love dogs - we just don't love some of their owners. Our neighbor has a beautiful black lab that barks constantly - all day and all night. She leaves it out when she goes to work - when she goes shopping - when she goes anywhere. The barking wakes my husband up at midnight - at 2:00 a.m. - etc. we can't have our grandchildren over to our backyard because the dog gets frantic and barks like you can't believe. We have asked her to control her dog - to get it trained - etc. to no avail. We are at our wits end - and our other neighbors feel the same way. Reading your posts tells me (and our other neighbors) that maybe we can get some relief from this irresponsible owner of a dog that should be lovable - and isn't.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:00 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,172,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingnani View Post
before you call me a terrible neighbor - please understand that my husband and I love dogs - we just don't love some of their owners. Our neighbor has a beautiful black lab that barks constantly - all day and all night. She leaves it out when she goes to work - when she goes shopping - when she goes anywhere. The barking wakes my husband up at midnight - at 2:00 a.m. - etc. we can't have our grandchildren over to our backyard because the dog gets frantic and barks like you can't believe. We have asked her to control her dog - to get it trained - etc. to no avail. We are at our wits end - and our other neighbors feel the same way. Reading your posts tells me (and our other neighbors) that maybe we can get some relief from this irresponsible owner of a dog that should be lovable - and isn't.
I think you are taking the wrong approach. Invite your grandchildren over and let the dog bark itself hoarse. Then your husband will be able to get some sleep at night.

Seriously though, I would inform your neighbors that if they can't control their animal between certain hours of the day (like say between 10:00 PM and 8:00 AM) that you will contact someone who will. Go to your other neighbors when this dog continues to bark during inappropriate hours and get their support. Mind you, I don't consider it inappropriate for a dog to bark during the day, even for hours at a time, but your neighbor needs to keep him quite while others are trying to sleep. That is just common courtesy. If they can't do that much, then let them answer to Animal Control.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:08 PM

1,950 posts, read 5,303,113 times
I think it is inappropriate for dogs to bark for too long and any time of day. Whenever I go outside to walk my dogs, I hear dogs in the distance barking their heads off. ALL day long. They are far enough away that I can't hear it inside. If I could, I would be totally annoyed. It is rude and inconsiderate. Not everyone likes dogs and wants to hear them if they are enjoying their time at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or