U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 21,361 times

Advertisements

My three year old male lab, Chase, who appears very healthy, happy, great energy, on great dog food, loves to run, swim and just have fun. A little over a year ago, he started having out of nowhere, shaking/shivering episodes, but it didn't seem to bother him. The episodes can last from a minute to several minutes, and he usually will lay down and he gets better. In addition, it can happen once a day to severeal times a day. He is very active and playful with a great appetite. I took him to the vet, but because it was not happening while we were there, they were unable to give me any answers. Since then, this is now happening much more often. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it. I recently took him back to the vet and this time, it was happening while we were in the office. She took xrays which confirmed he had hip dysplasia and arthritis which neither of his parents have. She placed him on pain medication as well as supplements for his hips and joints. The pain med was to rule out that the shaking was from pain. He continues to shake while on it. Also, I just started to notice that he started to develop teeth chattering at night when he appears to be asleep. I try to gently wake him up so he doesn't hurt his teeth, but he is either in some sort of episode or very deep sleep. I am so sad by all this. I have researched this and it seems like he may be having some sort of epilepsy episodes. I would only want to give him meds for this, if this is in fact what is going on due to the hard side effects. During his shivering episodes, he is fully alert and does not appear to be in any distress or pain. I am attaching a little video I made (its not the best quality) to show what his shivering looks like. I really appreciate your opinions and advice!! Thank you!!

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UD8iskcMSQ&feature=plcp]Chase shaking - YouTube[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 12:57 PM

12,370 posts, read 31,254,274 times
Show this to your vet! It maybe nothing but only a Vet can tell you for sure!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:04 PM

16,627 posts, read 26,544,826 times
Oh, yes, I would definitely show the video to your vet. I'm sorry that I have no suggestions or ideas beyond what Katie already suggested.

Chase is a beautiful boy, by the way.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,610,069 times
I would definitely show the video to your vet. My hubby once had a dog with epilepsy. I showed him the video, but he said that didn't seem at all like the seizures his dog used to have, especially since your dog seems to still be aware of his surroundings. (but maybe it can be different for different dogs?) Your video reminds me of how some little/toy dogs are shaky, though I have no idea what causes it in them either. I hope you get some answers!

Old 11-02-2012, 02:17 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,261,654 times
ChaseOwner -

it could be some mild type seizure, but my money is on muscular fasciculations. Happens in dogs just like humans. I only know this because my husband and my father have neurologic problems in their legs and have something that looks very much like what I'm seeing in Chase in your video. Their legs shiver, but it also looks like their skin is "creeping". It's very difficult to describe, and you may not be able to see it on Chase for the fur. Sorta looks like there is water under the skin that is rippling. Typically these fasciculations are caused by endocrine system diseases - has your dog had a full blood work up? Also, while I was looking this up I saw that Labs are genetically disposed to tremors, but it didn't say why. I know some spinal problems in humans cause fasciculations in the legs - it's possible with the dysplasia he has some lower back problems as well (?) I'd say a full panel of basic blood work might rule some things out.

Here's a quick link - you'll notice they mention making a video so you're ahead of the game there:

what might cause abnormal tremors and shaking in dogs - JustAnswer

I have a Rottie that does that in his hind legs some, but our vet can't find anything wrong either. It looks just like the first few seconds of your video.

Please let us know what you find out - interesting.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 21,361 times
Thank you so very much for your great responses! It is so puzzling and frustrating. I am in the process of having his past lab work sent to the new vet. My concern has increased because of his chattering teeth. His body was so rigid when I tried to wake him last night during that last night and it happened three times in a row. I have only witnessed it at night, when he has been asleep. He has such a great life, swims alot, runs, plays with our other dog (goldendoodle) and they are best buddies. When I write about it, it almost sounds like he is nervous, but he is not at all. We are home most of the time and we have a swimming pool, which he goes into several times a day on his own. I am going to put our pool fence up in place for when we are not at home with him, in case this is pre-epilepsy. I will look into link that was provided as well about tremors and shaking. Thank you all so much!!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 PM

13,737 posts, read 18,622,132 times
Get him to the vet and ask the vet is there a test he can do for epilepsy cause it sounds like he either is having a diabetic episode and or epileptic episode I would have the vet run some test and im sure that is the only way you can tell what exactly is going on . I have had two dogs in my life time one was a diabetic and the other was an epileptic and both were on meds and yeah nothing like having your day start with giving the dog a pill or a shot . Yep alot of work . I will send out prayers that it is nothing and God bless you and your dog .

Old 11-02-2012, 11:30 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,826,442 times
I hate to say these words. Degenerative Myelopathy.

Your vet may not be taking it into consideration since he is only 3 years old.

My 16 year old lab had this. It's not pretty. There is no cure. Try to get a diagnosis.

If that's what he has, I'll share with you how we extended quality of life many years past what is expected.

Honestly, it's looking so much like it, I'd push hard to find a vet who will seriously consider it.

Also look into multisystem neuronal degeneration and Parkinsons too.

The opposite of humans, canine parkinson's afflicts young dogs.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-03-2012 at 04:01 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,463,140 times
Same issue with my 2 yr old. She is constantly shaking - especially when she sleeps. All night long I feel her shaking - tremors - while she sleeps next to us. She is hairless, so we can see clearly what looks like rippling muscles.
Vets haven't found any cause of this.
She also walks on 3 legs most of the time - keeps her left rear leg up in the air.
We've spent a small fortune trying to find a cause but nothing found.

yet she is quick as lighting - outruns all other dogs, and keeps on going & going. She tires Me out chasing balls, for example. Very healthy.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,706 times
I know this post is old but I expierencing the same thing with my lab!! any answers? vet does not know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or