U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 12,224 times

Advertisements

I took my dog to the vet today and he has heartworms! I have been using Heartgard since I got him in December 2006. We haven't missed a dose (we give it to him on the 15th) I'm scared to death of the treatment and losing him... Has anyone gone through this? Any helpful advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 07:23 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,674,518 times
I went through it with 2 Katrina rescues, 1 dog was a year old other we figured maybe 3 years old.

It has a high cost to it but well worth it if follow what vet says. (I did not but both dogs happy and alive) They say keep them calm/crated. I would not as have active house and had 4 of my own and other rescues in house and figured when went to go potty they get wound up and that would kill em. They lose the spark in eyes and such and gets scary as they go through it as not same dog but ones we had layed around stayed calm like supposed to and we told kids let them come to you not chase or play with em unless they wanted too. They had to go twice at 1 month apart but you could see the difference when all well also as spark back in their eyes and came back more playful than ever.These dogs got forever homes and now 2 years later still happy and healthy and heartworm free. Vet will give you alot of information on side effects but all we really seen was the listlessness and drinking alot of water.

Goodluck with the treatment and please keep us posted.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 PM

673 posts, read 2,914,629 times
Oh no I just wanted to say good luck!! I volunteer at the local shelter and we had the most precious and beautiful dog that came in with heartworms. The owner said she couldnt take care of the vet costs. He was there for at least two to three months and the SPCA and others were helping to cover the costs. I think they ended up calling the lady back and giving her the dog back. She really didnt want to let him go in the first place. With the vet on staff giving discounts and such, I think she said they paid almost a thousand dollars to keep him alive, but he was worth it! I wanted that dog so bad but my dog wont allow us to have another one. If we could have I would have gotten him regardless of the costs. Best wishes please keep us updated!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:18 PM

295 posts, read 1,086,667 times
1st, don't delay. Also, I'd suggest you get a re-test ASAP because sometimes HW tests return false-positives. If he is infected, prognosis is often good when caught in early stages.

IF you bought the Heartgard directly from your Vet, Merial (the mftr) may cover the cost of treatment.

PS to Dreamhunter: You were lucky the Katrina dogs survived. Dead heartworms can dislodge easily and act like embolisms; they can kill just as fast as embolisms.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:19 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,850,925 times
So Heartgard, used unfailingly, still doesn't always work?
So sorry for your troubles, Birdz.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:27 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,283,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
So Heartgard, used unfailingly, still doesn't always work?
So sorry for your troubles, Birdz.

Absolutely does not work even if given faithfully...it's so important to have your dogs tested yearly by your vet. Sometimes if you can catch it early they will not have to go through the injection therapy...but please, everyone - if your vet doesn't insist on this blood test when you go for your annual shots, you need to! It's a little bitty test that can save a whole lot of heartache in the end!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:26 AM

4,948 posts, read 16,479,264 times
was this dog tested b4 you started the dog on heartguard, if so, then i would check
with the manufactor, they should cover the treatment. I think b4 you can get this pill
the dog needs to have a blood test done, then you start them on the pills. In the north
it is for 6 months, in the warm climates it is year round.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,457,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdznmore View Post
I took my dog to the vet today and he has heartworms! I have been using Heartgard since I got him in December 2006. We haven't missed a dose (we give it to him on the 15th) I'm scared to death of the treatment and losing him... Has anyone gone through this? Any helpful advice?
I have never been through that, but we did almost lose one of our pups a while back. I know how scary stuff like that can be! I hope everything works out, good luck!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:08 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,391,521 times
I Hope Everything Works Out For You!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 05:20 PM

13,293 posts, read 25,459,767 times
then you start them on the pills. In the north
it is for 6 months, in the warm climates it is year round.

I live in Massachusetts, and I give my dogs Heartguard year-round. Don't wanna mess with that. The weather is too iffy to assume that there are no mosquitos, etc. in the winter. I've seen them in every month on warmer days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or