Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:02 PM

90 posts, read 311,785 times

Advertisements

Desperate for help! We have temporarily moved to a condo with "open" stairs, meaning they have no risers and you can see between each step.
Our dog is 55 lbs, almost 11, and has been using stairs all her life. But these stairs freak her out.
To compound the problem, her old knee injury has flared up and she's limping. I think she'd go down the stairs at least, if it weren't for that.
For the past few days, my husband has been carrying her up and down 3-4 times per day to go potty. But he hurt his back doing that today. Not to mention she hates being carried.
She used to be paper trained, but hasn't had to use paper in 6+ years and has seemed to forgotten what it's for. (I have a spot on the balcony with paper set up for her.)

Does anybody have any ideas? If the kennel weren't closed tomorrow, I'd kennel her first thing.
We're absolutely stressed out by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,203 times
put cut-up pieces of cardboard where the the open spots on the stairs are?

walk backwards on the stairs yourself while holding a yummy treat in your hand, maybe she'll follow? (this might work best when she's hungry, i.e. before dinner/breakfast.

That's all i got.

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2012, 10:18 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
put cut-up pieces of cardboard where the the open spots on the stairs are?

walk backwards on the stairs yourself while holding a yummy treat in your hand, maybe she'll follow? (this might work best when she's hungry, i.e. before dinner/breakfast.

That's all i got.

Good luck!
That's what I would do! Find some way to disguise the stairs so they look "solid" to her.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
Great suggestion about the cardboard...or even foam board. Some open staircases like that freak me out too. LOL

Good luck.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I believe I would go to a motel until Monday and then put this poor darling into a kennel or a doggie camp until you can get out of the present condo. The kennel will be stressful but not as.....

Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Good idea to make the open stairs look safer. I also suggest that you get some kind of sling (if not just a beach towel) to support the dog's underside and help her down without hurting your back. I've done this with dogs that size, although not a full flight of steps.
I don't like open stairs myself...

Old 11-04-2012, 03:49 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie02 View Post
Desperate for help! We have temporarily moved to a condo with "open" stairs, meaning they have no risers and you can see between each step.
Our dog is 55 lbs, almost 11, and has been using stairs all her life. But these stairs freak her out.
To compound the problem, her old knee injury has flared up and she's limping. I think she'd go down the stairs at least, if it weren't for that.
For the past few days, my husband has been carrying her up and down 3-4 times per day to go potty. But he hurt his back doing that today. Not to mention she hates being carried.
She used to be paper trained, but hasn't had to use paper in 6+ years and has seemed to forgotten what it's for. (I have a spot on the balcony with paper set up for her.)

Does anybody have any ideas? If the kennel weren't closed tomorrow, I'd kennel her first thing.
We're absolutely stressed out by this.
You could try this:

Full Body Dog Lifting Harness - 1800PetMeds

Maybe that will help until her leg is better, and perhaps by then she will get used to the new stairs.

Does she have any vision problems?

There are also various indoor dog potties:

http://www.pottypark.com/news-and-up...e-competition/

Old 11-04-2012, 04:18 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
You said this was temporary, how temporary? Is there a reason he HAS to be upstairs? Can he just remain downstairs, especially being a larger dog and having joint problems. Those kinds of stairs freak me out, nevertheless a dog.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:59 PM

Default thanks for the replies

We tried long pieces of fabric draped over the stairs to hide the openings and she went up and down last night and again this morning. I just tried and she won't go again. I know it must really hurt her knee. She just sat at the top of the stairs and cried.

We're here for a couple of months, so kennel is not really an option.
Her knee is never going to heal going up and down these stairs.
My poor baby.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
You said this was temporary, how temporary? Is there a reason he HAS to be upstairs? Can he just remain downstairs, especially being a larger dog and having joint problems. Those kinds of stairs freak me out, nevertheless a dog.
Just to clarify, the condo is upstairs. We have to climb the stairs to get to the front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs