U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,602,147 times

Advertisements

Has anyone experienced their dog developing anxiety when going for walks?

Here's the background. I have two 10 year old cocker spaniels, S & C. They are not litter mates, but are only 2 weeks apart in age and my late husband and I brought them home as soon as they were old enough as puppies. So they went from their litters to each other.

In July, C had TPLO surgery. It was severe enough he almost needed a secondary surgery at the time to complete the repair and ultimately had a second minor surgery last month to remove one of the screws. Recovery has been slower than expected but has improved dramatically since the removal of the screw.

When I got the clearance to start taking him on his 10 minute rehab walks in September, I only took him for several reasons. Two weeks later, when I was able to increase to 15 minute walks, he was doing well enough I started taking S too. This process has been stressful but it appears the end (of recovery) is near-hopefully! My problem is not with C, it is with S. C is now up to 30 minute walks and S seems to have developed anxiety.

The routine is that S greets me at the door when I get home and then goes outside to potty. He has access to do out during the day, and he does. (C is currently still penned during the day, but I come home at lunch and let him out). After I let C out, we go for the walk. We make it about halfway down the block before S has to go. And then he goes again at the end of the block. Starts solid but becomes mushy. In a 30 minute walk, I am using 4-5 poop bags-just for S. Everyday. This does not seem normal to me as he was never like this before. I'm wondering if he's sensing anxiety from me? (I just had a medical issue of my own to deal with). When we are home, he's completely normal with his habits-this only happens on the walks.

Has anyone else experienced this? I plan to mention it to the vet when I take C in for his checkup later this week. They were just boarded at my vet's office over the weekend and they didn't mention anything was out of the ordinary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs