Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times

Advertisements

I volunteer at our local shelter. As with many shelters in the south, money is lacking so buying beds for the dogs is out of the question.

Some wonderful ladies saw the need but they couldn't afford the cost for new beds so they made them. I was surprised at how many dogs just jumped right in and made themselves comfortable on the bedspread or blanket we put in them.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Need a dog bed for rescues or shelters?-doggie-beds.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 AM

30,484 posts, read 16,198,344 times
I think you should give those ladies a big hug!

Looks like a plastic storage box?

can you post the how-to so others can make some? I don't know any shelters that have too much money-and if they're light and easy to haul, some may end up in NJ/NYC area.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I think you should give those ladies a big hug!

Looks like a plastic storage box?

can you post the how-to so others can make some? I don't know any shelters that have too much money-and if they're light and easy to haul, some may end up in NJ/NYC area.
I made one like that using a Dremel. I'm sure it could also be done with a knife to cut the edges and poultry shears for the sides.

Love the idea to make them for shelters- easy to clean and keeps the blankets dry when hosing out the kennel.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,175 times
Absolutely brilliant! Dogs love den like environments and these can be easily cleaned and disinfected.

I'm curious how the ladies did this too.

Wonder if some of the companies who manufacture these tubs would DONATE some to the east coast rescue efforts?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:05 AM

They are storage bins. They used scissors and a box cutter and it was not an easy job. I like the dremel idea, I am sure it would be a little easier. We didnt use the tops but you could and it would be even warmer.

I just had to share as they spent around $125.00 they got around 25.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:28 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
What a neat idea! My neighbor and I are both taking care of a stray cat, if we leave the top on, we can stuff it with blankets, and the cat will have dry, warm protection from the rain!

Thank you SOOOO much for posting this! I have a couple of these totes taking up space in my closet... gonna go cut them up today!

Anyone know of a cutting tool that can be used to make it easier?

Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
What a neat idea! My neighbor and I are both taking care of a stray cat, if we leave the top on, we can stuff it with blankets, and the cat will have dry, warm protection from the rain!

Thank you SOOOO much for posting this! I have a couple of these totes taking up space in my closet... gonna go cut them up today!

I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel. It was very easy and quick. Just wear glasses and cut it outside. Lots of little plastic bits shoot out.

I also made one for the cat's litter box- I saw one here on CD. In this case, the bin is upright and I put the lid on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Need a dog bed for rescues or shelters?-dremel.jpg  

Old 11-11-2012, 07:08 AM

I need to make one for a litter box since I have a huge cat who tends to overshoot the litter box.

Went by the shelter yesterday and the beds are still in good condition and only one showed signs of being chewed.

These wonderful ladies also found someone to make doggie doors for the shelter to keep the cold weather out. As usual in our town the animals come last but we now have some great volunteers who can get things done. I just have to ask..

Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Those a great dog beds! Cats might like them too.

I use plastic totes for litter boxes, the clear ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post

Use straw instead of blankets. Straw will stay warm even when wet and the cat can burrow in. Blankets get wet, then they are cold and start to grow mildew. You can also line the shelter with reflective space blanket material such as these:

Space All-Weather Blanket at REI.com

There are instructions on how to make an outdoor shelter out of storage containers for cats. A quick google will give you lots of information.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:05 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Those a great dog beds! Cats might like them too.

I use plastic totes for litter boxes, the clear ones.

Use straw instead of blankets. Straw will stay warm even when wet and the cat can burrow in. Blankets get wet, then they are cold and start to grow mildew. You can also line the shelter with reflective space blanket material such as these:

Space All-Weather Blanket at REI.com

There are instructions on how to make an outdoor shelter out of storage containers for cats. A quick google will give you lots of information.
THANK YOU for this information... I'll read up on this today and go get some straw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs