Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,097 times

Advertisements

looking for answers. my sweet girl Greta has also got blind. complications from diabetes, I am thinking about cataract surgery for her,it is expensive and 3 hours from are town, I am afraid she will feel abandon if I leave her there 3 days. I m afraid it wont work, I m just plain afraid of it all. have any of you tried the surgery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 10:14 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
I am so sorry buddy

I hope someone can give you some answers

Welcome to city-data!!

Old 12-02-2014, 05:06 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalmommie1 View Post
looking for answers. my sweet girl Greta has also got blind. complications from diabetes, I am thinking about cataract surgery for her,it is expensive and 3 hours from are town, I am afraid she will feel abandon if I leave her there 3 days. I m afraid it wont work, I m just plain afraid of it all. have any of you tried the surgery?
I haven't done cataract surgery, but wanted to mention a couple of things.
Dogs don't have the same understanding of blindness that we do, especially when it happens slowly as in cataracts- they adapt, and are able to live full happy lives. In all likelihood she has already adapted to her loss of vision. This is more difficult for you than for her.
Their sense of smell provides them with cues to the environment and you can also use their sense of touch to cue them- for instance put down a unique feeling area carpet at the top of the stairs.
Don't change your furniture layout.
Use smell- their strongest sense- to help her find her way around and teach her where things are- e.g. her bed, the main walkway between the kitchen and her crate, etc.

In my opinion- don't know that I would do the cataract surgery personally. How old is she? How is she getting around? Is it worth putting her through the surgery if her blindness doesn't appear to bother HER? Remember, you are reacting to it differently than she is, so if she gets around well and is otherwise content, I would be tempted to leave it be. Also, I would have different considerations if she were a 5 year old border collie than if she were a 5 year old pug.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,097 times
twelvepaw- thank you for your opinion. I took Greta to the vet yesterday and he does not recommend her for the surgery. I have to admit I was relieved. he said it was a major surgery and with her diabetes there could be complications. she does seem to be adjusting well. she also had a eye infection and since starting her on meds. she is once again happy. cataracts are not painful and you were right her other senses are helping her though this. its nice to hear from others their ideas. so thank you for your feedback.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:50 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,995 times
You are very welcome. Best wishes to you and Greta.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
My 13 year old akita has had diabetes for 3 years. She has been on insulin and done ok but she lost her sight in one eye and now it appears she is almost totally blind. Its hard to tell because she seems to know her way around our house and yard and even goes for a short walk every day. I love the animal of course and am afraid that she is suffering in a world without sight . One day I think its best to have her put down and the next day I figure she is comfortable and feels our love but unlike humans I am afraid she is suffering and I just dont know what to do. I appreciate any advice that you fellow dog lovers may have. thanks
A dog that has no visual impairment cannot see very well to begin with. Dogs really don't care that much about being able to see. We humans are much more worried about the ability to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs