Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Ohio farmer accused of letting dogs live in filth - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 06:45 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
hope they took photos. I think that's why the Amish get away with as much animal abuse as they do-people are afraid of being accused of religious persecution or some variation.

cudos to that animal welfare organization!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,175 times
You're right - this is AGAIN.

The Amish are notorious for puppy mills and horrific treatment of animals. Religion, my @ss.

Political correctness needs to be disregarded when discussing animal abuse. I know there are groups working hard in Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania to see tougher animals abuse laws enacted to address this perpetual abuse.

Stories like these make my blood boil.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Do they treat their livestock as worse as a factory farm?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
The "new Amish" are not the moral and incorruptible old Amish. Another thing thing they apparently do is dump their draft horses and less desirable road horses at auctions every Fall, because that way they don't have to feed them all winter, I guess. And the horse rescue groups scramble to buy them up so that the kill buyers don't get them. It's like dumping this year's convertible at the end of summer and getting a new model next spring, evidently.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-12-2012 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: I'm sorry, the whole lifestyle of the 'new' Amish is off topic in this forum

Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
When I posted about Amish puppy mills, someone challenged me for a cite, and I didn't have one, but thought I'd read about it somewhere.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Tonight I was watching Breaking Amish and they spoke about Amish farmers that were know to have sex with farm animals. Pretty sick.

Last edited by brokencrayola; 11-12-2012 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: space

Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
and now there is a plea going around the rescue community to help an amish puppy miller's "overstock." whatever dogs are not taken or rescued by this Saturday are going to be shot.....

Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
The "new Amish" are not the moral and incorruptible old Amish. Another thing thing they apparently do is dump their draft horses and less desirable road horses at auctions every Fall, because that way they don't have to feed them all winter, I guess. And the horse rescue groups scramble to buy them up so that the kill buyers don't get them. It's like dumping this year's convertible at the end of summer and getting a new model next spring, evidently.
I've never heard of them selling horses in the fall just for the sake of selling. If they know they're going to replace one of their field horses in the spring, selling in the fall and buying the replacement in the spring rather than feeding all winter is simply a smart business decision. Non-Amish horse owners do this as well. In fact, it's probably more common outside the Amish community because the Amish need horses in the winter for transportation where weekend warriors usually don't do anything with their horses that time of year.

And if the killer buyers are setting the market it's because there are too many horses being foaled, not because some Amish folks want to upgrade their draft stock. And the indiscriminate breeding programs that lead to this situation are by and large outside the Amish community. The Amish generally don't breed any more horses than they can use or sell; they just don't have the room on their (typically) small farms.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:04 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I've never heard of them selling horses in the fall just for the sake of selling. If they know they're going to replace one of their field horses in the spring, selling in the fall and buying the replacement in the spring rather than feeding all winter is simply a smart business decision. Non-Amish horse owners do this as well. In fact, it's probably more common outside the Amish community because the Amish need horses in the winter for transportation where weekend warriors usually don't do anything with their horses that time of year.

And if the killer buyers are setting the market it's because there are too many horses being foaled, not because some Amish folks want to upgrade their draft stock. And the indiscriminate breeding programs that lead to this situation are by and large outside the Amish community. The Amish generally don't breed any more horses than they can use or sell; they just don't have the room on their (typically) small farms.

maybe they are not the problem with the horses being dumped, but they create HUGE problems overbreeding puppies in their disgusting and abusive mills......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs