Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,470,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I have a dog, almost one year old. We have to go away for Thanksgiving and have no choice but to board her for a full week. I have never owned a dog before and have never boarded a pet. I am concerned and a bit worried. The boarding facility has a great reputation so I am not concerned with her physical well being. I'm more concerned about her emotional well being.

Am I being irrational? Or can this be a rough event for a dog? Do dogs forget? Will she remember us when we get her home or will we need to build a new relationship?

Thanks for any information. Hopefully this will be a more tramatic time on us rather than her.
You might want to have her spend a few hours at the facility in advance of the actual boarding. Assuming she does well at that trial stay, it will do much to put your mind at ease.

I remember when we had to board our dog for the first time. After we dropped her off we rushed home where we immediately looked for her on the boarding facility's web-cam on their website. (:

It's kind of like taking your child to pre-school for the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 04:19 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,343,777 times
Believe it or not, the dog you have at home may become a totally different doggie at the boarding facility - I do not mean this in a negative way - they just become different animals because of their surroundings, other nearby dogs that they don't know, the excitment, etc. - as my husband says "it's a week at the spa."

We have boarded every single dog we have had. Each has come home having had a bath and smelling clean, is insanly thrilled to see us, and totally exhausted.

If your guy has a specific diet - let them know. Be reasonable. Leave the toys at home, they won't play with them at the kennel. Favorite blanket ...hmmm, it might not make it so don't take it.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 PM

1,760 posts, read 2,090,414 times
I know how you feel about being nervous. I was a little apprehensive about boarding my pup last weekend for my wedding. He's a rescue and we had never boarded him before (we've had him for almost 2 years). I never worried about Skip--my parent's dog because he has been boarded often since he was a puppy and loves it but I wasn't sure how Sawyer would handle it. The facility people said he had a blast. He played a lot, was social with everyone (which he usually doesnt care for many human strangers) and overall did great. He was very excited to see us when we picked him up and he has actually come back a little bit better and meeting new people. It was a really positive experience for us but it was hard for me since it was his first time. Now, I know if he goes again he will be fine.
Don't stress, your pup will be fine and super excited to see you when you get home.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,892,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I know how you feel about being nervous. I was a little apprehensive about boarding my pup last weekend for my wedding. He's a rescue and we had never boarded him before (we've had him for almost 2 years). I never worried about Skip--my parent's dog because he has been boarded often since he was a puppy and loves it but I wasn't sure how Sawyer would handle it. The facility people said he had a blast. He played a lot, was social with everyone (which he usually doesnt care for many human strangers) and overall did great. He was very excited to see us when we picked him up and he has actually come back a little bit better and meeting new people. It was a really positive experience for us but it was hard for me since it was his first time. Now, I know if he goes again he will be fine.
Don't stress, your pup will be fine and super excited to see you when you get home.
Ahem. Excuse me. You got married last weekend? CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 AM

2,166 posts, read 3,108,188 times
Today's the day. We take Gretle in after lunch and will not pick her up until next Monday. 9 Nights! It's funny but I think she knows something is up. When we feed her, she immediately eats all of her food in minutes. This morning, she hasn't touched it. It's been sitting in her bowl since 5:30am. She is usually either very active or she sleeps. Never anything in between. This morning she has layed on the couch with her head down but her eyes open watching us get everything ready.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,892,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Today's the day. We take Gretle in after lunch and will not pick her up until next Monday. 9 Nights! It's funny but I think she knows something is up. When we feed her, she immediately eats all of her food in minutes. This morning, she hasn't touched it. It's been sitting in her bowl since 5:30am. She is usually either very active or she sleeps. Never anything in between. This morning she has layed on the couch with her head down but her eyes open watching us get everything ready.
They always know. I don't know how -- even without suitcases on display, they know. They sense it from us, because we're anxious. They know something is different. But she'll be fine. And you? Go have a great vacation. She'll let you know if the boarding place was or wasn't a good fit for her.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:48 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,105,511 times
It is never easy to board a dog. But, she will be fine, and do not worry about her remembering you....that is a none issue. If it is a good kennel, you have no worries.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 AM

8 posts, read 17,207 times
They won't forget you. I board dogs and they have a good time while with me and my dog. Just make sure the place allows supervised interaction with other dogs.

Jim
www.fairmountpetserice.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs