Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:12 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,569 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been bitten by their own dog? I was, during an obedience class with a dog I recently began fostering (3 mos.). I am really shocked and hurt, and I guess naive, that he would do this, although he does have a bite history. Has this happened to anyone and what have you done about it? Have you continued to work with the dog? My bite was not a bad one; a puncture that just left me black and blue and very sad. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:18 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I have been bitten twice by adopted dogs, both of whom I adopted from local families who, shall we see, shaded the truth about placing the dogs. One was a lovely Springer who had Rage Syndrome- he had to be put down, he was truly dangerous.
The other one appeared to be a fear biter, and stupid me, I tried to dominate him- so he bit me. It ain't rocket science! I know recognize his warning signals and back off when he bares his teeth.
Any dog bite that breaks the skin really requires medical attention/antibiotics. A puncture is really a dirty wound. I waited a day after the Springer bit me (It was Thanksgiving) and my hand swelled up. Be careful.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:02 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
I had a dog that didn't know how to "play bite", she always bit with her back molars and squeezed really hard. It was a dominance thing with her, she didn't bite out of fear or anger. When she grabbed me by my arm she would look me straight in the eye to see my reaction, and then she would begin to squeeze.

That never stopped me from playing with her though. I would just have to wrap my arms in a towel or blanket, and even then she would manage to puncture my skin. She would always stop when I said "enough", but I had to be the one to give in first. She had a very strong competitive streak in her.

An interesting side note: When she got older I got another puppy to keep her company. When the puppy used to play bite (like a normal dog), my older dog would come over and growl at the puppy to admonish her. Like she was the only one allowed to bite me. That puppy is fully grown now, and I've had to put down my older dog, but to this day she is very timid about play biting me.

Last edited by Glitch; 10-12-2007 at 01:24 PM..

Old 10-12-2007, 01:17 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,729 times
I have been bitten by one of my dogs, but it wasn't bad and it was 100% my fault! lol! We own three APBTs, one of which we just took in a couple months ago. Brooklyn, our male and Jayda, one of our females and the dog we took in recently, got into it over some food. I stepped in and grabbed Brooklyn because he is the biggest and it looked like he was hurting Jayda. Once I got Brooklyn off, Jayda jumped up and went after Brooklyn, so I stepped right in between them and Jayda bit my leg! It hurt, but it wasn't anything bad at all. As soon as she realized she bit me she tucked her tail between her legs and ran into the other room. She didn't mean to bit me and it was stupid for me to step in the middle of a dog fight, but oh well! lol! Now we feed them in their crates so they can't fight over food and we haven't had a problem since then.

If one of my dogs bit me when I was training them or working with them, yes, I would still keep the dog, and yes, I would still keep working with the dog. Dogs are animals, any dog can bite, that's just something you risk when you take on a dog.. period. Just because a dog bites once does not mean they will bite again, and just because a dog has never bit doesn't mean it never will. Dogs are domesticated animals, but they are still animals. Unless one of my dogs seriously attacked me, there's no way I would give any of them up.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:19 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times
no never been bitten by a dog at all, let alone my guys
I've always had a enough command though and when Cody was little we had to teach him to quit when we would say enough.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:31 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
Our current dog was a rescue who was 10 months old when we got her. She had some issues, and based on her behavior had been abused previously. Soon after we got her, she bit my wife on her leg. It wasn't hard enough to puncture the skin, but it was enough to bruise her. She was already in dog obedience class, and we continued that and a second class. We also spent time gaining her trust and making her feel safe. Since that time, 4 years ago, she has not snapped, growled or bitten anyone. Still, I'm more observant around her than I have been around previous dogs based on her past and that one incident.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:11 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
I more interested in how you reacted when it happened...did you correct him? What did the instructor do? or tell you to do?

Old 10-14-2007, 01:33 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
The mini poodle mix I adopted is a biter. He's small, old and deaf. He used to try to bite the toes of the shoes of my boyfriend and various visitors to our yard. First, we figured out the warning signs. He would stand stiff legged with his head lowered and start to stare at their feet. So when that happens, I tap him gently to break his concentration. When he would bite my boyfriend's feet, he would take the dog by the neck and throw him down to the ground until he became submissive. After a year, the dog got better. And if the dog lunges at a cat, I quickly smack him on the butt.

On the other hand, the poodle has always been quite attached to me. He follows me around the house devotedly. Once I startled him while he was sleeping. His mouth closed over my hand, but paused when he saw that it was me. Whew!

Anyway, since it's a dog you are fostering, just realize that it takes time for the dog to trust and begin to bond with you. And try to always approach this dog (that has bitten you) always with a positive attitude and not have any doubts or fears in your mind. Exuding positive energy is very important. And animals can smell fear. And you do want to maintain your alphaness with him. Is the fostered dog good about lying on its back and letting you stroke him? And doing that a lot lets him know that being submissive to you is a good experience.

Last edited by miu; 10-14-2007 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-14-2007, 06:27 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,669 times
Doghead, is it fear that makes him bite? Or is it completely unpredictable? There are a number of factors that would be important in such a situation. You said that he has a bite history, tell us more about it.

The fact that he bit you in such a hectic environment as obedience class makes me want to tell you that it isn't anything personal towards you. It wasn't when you two were calmly sitting around the house and he jumped up and bit you or anything. Had you grabbed him to try to get his attention when he was distracted, looking at another dog or another person?

Consider asking your vet's office for a recommendation of an animal trainer to help you and the dog. There is a lot of animal communication and animal-human interaction that cannot be reduced to typewritten words very easily. I have used one before and wouldn't hesitate to go to her again if I needed to. She was a wonderful help in just one session, giving me tips on how to modify my behavior as well as modify the dog's behavior.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:42 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
I had NEVER been bitten.....until.....we adopted a beautiful Beagle[Baily]. Apparantely Baily had been abused as had his owner by her husband. Baily was VERY protective around my wife....and CLEARLY did not care too much for men...[we even considered the possibility of a lesbian Beagle] If I made ANY fast move around her she bit....had....not a play bite but a serious "I'm going to have you for dinner" bite.

I now have 7 scars....this continued for 2 years....until......we brought home a puppy....a cute snow white eskimo puppy about 7 weeks old....Baily fell in love with the puppy and became the sweetest most loving dog I have ever seen....

My question is.......if she wanted a puppy why didn't she just SAY SO .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs