U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 04:10 PM

748 posts, read 1,047,857 times

Advertisements

I was going to post something in the debate forum about media lies and brainwashing. But I was going to use the Pit bull as an example of how the media is at fault for the way America feels about the breed.

But the post became too long and complicated with all the examples I wanted to include as references.

I wanted to suggest something that everybody can do, with just a few moments of their time.

Pull the covers on the media.

When ever you see an article with Pit bull in the head lines, or an article about a dog attack or dog bite and the "other" breed is not mentioned, but just called "other dog" or something like that, post a message on that article and ask them to stop bashing the Pit bull. Or you could ask, "why wasn't the other breed mentioned by breed"

If they show photos and clearly the dog involved is not a Pit bull, take a moment and contact the author of the story by email, or phone call. And post a comment if the site will allow you to.

Most often you will have to register, but if you visit the same news sites all the time, registering can be a good thing, so you can comment and participate.

I have collected news articles for over a year, I have a filter on my Google mail. It is a pattern the media does, the only include the breed Pit bull by name.

One article was about two dogs, they bit three people. The dogs were in their yard, and people were riding by and walking by. The reporter said the dogs were "a Pit bull mix" and the smaller dog was "a non Pit bull mix"

Let the media know, we are tired of it. Let's change the way America views these animals.

The media is a major contributor to the way people feel about many many things. Let's focus on the media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 04:23 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,335,145 times
Folks, I just want to remind you of our Hot Topics and No Tolerance rules in this forum. This is one of those subjects that gets out of hand quickly.

NO MORE "PIT BULL ATTACK" NEWS LINKS OR STORIES: We are calling a moratorium on these. They become too inflammatory and the same members post the same points over and over. Inevitably someone jumps in and says something like 'all pit bulls need to be euthanized'......these debates get us nowhere and do nothing to educate people about the dogs and the relevant issues surrounding the dogs.

NO MORE REFERENCES TO DOGFIGHTING: This includes, but is not limited to, discussions of or references to: dogmen, pit dogs, gamebred, matching, bloodlines of fighting dogs, dog-fighting training and conditioning, breeding of fighting dogs......the list goes on and on. We're cracking down, your dog fighting discussions are not welcome here.

BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) DISCUSSIONS WILL BE LIMITED: BSL discussions should be limited to the sharing of information when replying to a question posed by a member, such as 'I'm moving to Idaho, do I need to worry about BSL there?". We may loosen up on this in the future, but for right now we need to keep it in check.

NO BREED BASHING: Self explanatory. You may discuss why you feel one breed is better, or why you have chosen a certain breed. However, posts that bash any breed will be deleted immediately.

This info is posted on the main page of the Pets forum. That is all... :-) Thanks!

Keeper
SouthernBelleInUtah
Sam I am

[/quote]

Old 11-17-2012, 05:44 PM

482 posts, read 721,799 times
The other day someone got mauled and killed by a "mastiff" (no specifics). They talked about the dog's size as if that equated the reason for the death. They did mention it was given to her a week ago by a family member and she had a Pit that was NOT involved. People read the article, assumed it was the Pit, then commented on how it was to be expected because the Pit did it. It was absurd, just like assuming a big dog is going to maul you. I hate to point out that this dog might have just as easily ended up in a shelter had she not of taken it in.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 PM

380 posts, read 593,076 times
Excellent thread topic, as dogs are just one example of how the worthless mainstream mediots are nothing more than a collection of gossips, no different than the "grapevines" in any workplace.

News Journalism died sometime in the late '80s. (I'm old enough to remember when it was alive and well.)
If you're looking for unbiased, factual information regarding anything, turn off the TVs and avoid any webpage with a network and/or "familiar" logo on it.

I agree that those worthless wonders should be called out for collecting paychecks for being nothing more than what the most notorious worklace gossip is -- incubators & milkers of shock value. While they both get the desired attention they seek, the only difference is, one's existence has one and only one main purpose: Generating Advertising Revenue. This is very important to remember as dog owners are also consumers, and are being mislead in almost every aspect of dog care.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM

Indeed the bottom line with anything, "it's all about the money"

The public, the consumer, the dog owner, parent, what ever title we have, we are being lied to, to some degree so somebody can make money. I could go on for lengths about it all, but since this is the pet forum, I just wanted to offer that suggestion hoping that people would not only take note, but take action, let the media know we do not appreciate being lied to, about what ever the topic is.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
The other day someone got mauled and killed by a "mastiff" (no specifics). They talked about the dog's size as if that equated the reason for the death. They did mention it was given to her a week ago by a family member and she had a Pit that was NOT involved. People read the article, assumed it was the Pit, then commented on how it was to be expected because the Pit did it. It was absurd, just like assuming a big dog is going to maul you. I hate to point out that this dog might have just as easily ended up in a shelter had she not of taken it in.

I have read so many articles, that do the same thing. I always ask the media, "why don't you ever mention the millions of dogs, all breeds, that are abused, neglected, left to starve, caught on fire, stabbed, tortured, daily, they have certainly earned the right to bite, yet, they bite nobody. If they started putting those dogs in the news, well, dogs would look like "they do no wrong" If we read in the news, and hear on TV, year after year, that "redheads are bad drivers" pretty soon, we would have to ban redheaded drivers, because they are a danger to the public.

I would love to see the media fix what they have done. Do the right thing.
Ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or