U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2007, 03:23 PM
 
943 posts, read 3,812,512 times
Reputation: 425

Advertisements

LOL, thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2007, 03:26 PM
 
943 posts, read 3,812,512 times
Reputation: 425
Sorry to everyone for the late reply to all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2007, 04:16 PM
 
1,177 posts, read 8,072,284 times
Reputation: 905
Well you can google the breeds or look them up in a breed book. If you want further info you can talk to some breeders/owners. I will help the best with what I've read, learned from talking to other owners and from hands on experience.

In your personal opinion what is the differences amongst the different bulldog breeds?
There are many differences among the bulldogs breeds so you can’t just say all of them unless you are comparing 2 or 3 to each other.

What differentiates the bulldog breed from a pit bull breed?
The Pit Bull breeds are crosses of Bulldog and Terrier. To say the differences of each breed would take a lot of some, you would have to differentiate between each breed of bulldog as compared to the APBT, some are very similar. Some American Bulldogs have Pit Bull blood and some Pit Bulls have American Bulldog blood. Some other Bulldog breeds also have APBT blood so there isn’t always much difference other then a selective breeding difference. Bulldog and Pit Bull are types, not breeds.
Bulldog is also just a name in some of these breeds, it is a breed name and doesn’t mean the dog has no Pit Bull, terrier blood or other type of blood.
Pit Bull includes American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers. There are also other Bull & Terrier breeds, such as the Bull Terrier.

I don't condone dog fighting at all so please don't make this a topic of discussion, but why do people choose pit bulls for dog fighting instead of bulldogs?
I’m not sure where you got this info, because a lot of bulldogs are used in dog fighting. The original Bull Baiting and dog fighters were bulldogs. Pit Bulls are crosses of Bulldogs and Terriers to get Pit Bulls who were continued to be bred for fighting. Currently several bulldog breeds are still used in dog fights either from time to time or on a regular basis. Pit Bulls are most often used (in this country at least) because they are a popular, easy to find and cheap breed. They are also well known as fighting dogs. As well they have a lot of heart, gameness and determination to not quite in a fight (or other hardship) they make an excellent fighting dog. These same traits make them great working dogs at legit task too.

Alano Espanol (Spanish Bulldog)
This is one of my favorite breeds that I have never met/owned..lol Just from reading about them and being able to talk to a couple owners they seem to be very formidable working dogs. They are a very athletic, working breed with great strength, courage and endurance. They hunt, catch and are also great to control/catch cattle. It is said that they can run for miles and miles without tiring. They need a lot of exercise and space to run. They do not take well to being couped up. They are a breed who naturally has good full mouth bite. They also have an extremely high pain tolerance. Balance is very important to the breed. Going between 70-90lbs always balanced is important.

Guard They make an excellent at least watchdog, if not a very good and loyal guard dog. You want to make sure you have proper training.

Fighting Not sure that many have been used for this. I know they were used for bull fights sometime ago, but not sure on the dog fighting. They would probably make an unrivaled fighting dog. However they seem to not be so dog aggressive and work good in pairs or teams.

Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog
I do not know much about them, never met one. Did some research but that some years ago when my Mom was interested in them. So I don’t remember much. They are similar to the American Bulldog and have similar uses with as cattle and catch dogs.

Guard?
They are supposed to be a guardian breed, I’m sure they have some instincts. I’m sure that they would be alert and protective.

why do people choose pit bulls for dog fighting instead of bulldogs?
This breed has been here as a plantation breed. Its hard to say if it was ever fought or not. I doubt it would be truthful to say they never saw a staged dog fight by someone, sometime in history. The reason for them not being used I would think is because they are not popular and not really bred to fight.

American Bulldog There are a few types of AB.
1. Johnson or Classic this strain has English Bulldog bred in. Johnson’s Dick the Bruiser is a well known dog of this line. He is also in the other lines and is the sire of the Pit Bull named Wannabe A Whopper.
2. Scott is the Standard or performance
3. Painter This line is also a smaller performance type line, it has excelled at catch work and dog fighting. This line is bred from Dick the Bruiser stuff, along with a few other AB lines and APBT blood.
4. Old Southern White/White English originals
5. Hybrid Johnson/Scott and other types.

This breed is widely used as a catch and cattle dog. Seem to have a large weight range, I've seen them 50lbs to almost 150lbs.

Guard? American Bulldogs do make good guard and protection dogs. It takes the right selection of a dog (breeding/genetics) and the proper training. They can be pretty good watch dogs even without training, they bark like other dogs and I find they have a nice deep bark in most cases.

why do people choose pit bulls for dog fighting instead of bulldogs? People have/do use AB in dog fighting. Some use crosses of APBT and AB and others use straight AB. The Painter strain was heavy in dog fighting. There are some people who still use AB (not just Painter strain) for dog fighting. I would say they are not as specialized for it and might not have “deep gameness” but some certainly will fight (are dog aggressive) and have some level of gameness. Some AB have won over some APBT. The APBT probably makes a better fighting dog but it depends on the individual dog.

Aussie Bulldog
I don’t know much about them and never met one. I have only read that they were created from English Bulldog, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Boxer and Bullmastiff. Really not sure about the guard dog or dog fighting part. I’m sure you can find more info.

Banter Bulldog
This breed was created as a recreation to be similar to the Brabanter Bullenbeisser. These dogs are bred from Boxer, Bulldogs and probably APBTs. They don’t seem to have a consistent type as they are still in development somewhat. I have seen some that look more Boxer in the face and others that look pure APBT. They are a very athletic breed. They have done well in weight pull just as the “Bull Boxer” (Pit Bull x Boxer). More balanced then generally some other bulldog breeds. Some I’ve liked the looks, very nice IMO.
Fighting Since these were a recreation breed it wasn’t created as a fighting so therefore isn’t used for one.
Guard They have been used in some personal protection sport, but not sure where the guard dog capabilities lie.

Campeiro Bulldog (Brazillian)
These are said to be descendants of English Bulldogs. I’m sure this is pretty true of their origin. They look better and healthier then our present day English Bulldogs, but look how an EB used to look. They are still used as working dogs and are much larger then EB. They are still used for catch and holding work to this day.
Guard Probably are an alert guardian, very capable at say 80lbs of doing some damage.
Fighting Not sure if they are or ever were used for fighting.

Ca De Bou
This is a breed I personally like. They are a hard working breed who is very athletic. They have been bred almost solely for working and haven’t been watered down. Like the APBT and Alano Espanol most important to the dogs build is a sound structure and balance! This is a large strong willed breed, but an excellent working dog. They make excellent catch dogs. A large breed up to 100lbs I have seen them, most were smaller though.
Guard. They make great natural guardians. You would need to train for anything specialized. They have the protective instincts of most bulldogs and will fight man or beast.
Fighting. The Ca De Bou has excelled also at dog fighting and continues to be used for this by some people.

Catahoula Bulldog
The CB is a cross between the American Bulldog and the Catahoula Leopard dog. It was done to create a better working dog that would both drive cattle and hold cattle and also be able to catch hogs. Another common working cross is the APBT x Catahoula which is also used for the same purpose. These are hard working farm dogs.
Guard. Maybe? Fighting?

Colorado Bulldog
The Colorado Bulldogs was created in Colorado and is a cross of American Bulldog and American Staffordshire Terrier. They are a very large breed, some up to 150lbs. From what I can tell and the ones I’ve met they are bred basically as a family companion dog.
Guard. I’m certain that they would have some protective instincts or be an alert watchdog, however I haven’t found one breeder uses/breeding them for any actual work. Some of the AB x Pit Bull crosses have done good at some work like this, but the Colorado Bulldog breeders themselves breed large companion dogs and not working dogs.
Fighting. This is doubtful for most of them. Some ASTxAB and APBTxAB have been used (and done well) in dog fighting but the breeders who create/breed and breed Colorado Bulldogs don’t breed and use them for fighting. So fighting wouldn’t be done with what is now called a Colorado Bulldog. Hope this makes sense. Some people breed this cross without using the made up breed name if that helps. Same as above on the guard work.

More to come..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2007, 04:47 PM
 
943 posts, read 3,812,512 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Well you can google the breeds or look them up in a breed book. If you want further info you can talk to some breeders/owners. I will help the best with what I've read, learned from talking to other owners and from hands on experience.

In your personal opinion what is the differences amongst the different bulldog breeds?
There are many differences among the bulldogs breeds so you can’t just say all of them unless you are comparing 2 or 3 to each other.

What differentiates the bulldog breed from a pit bull breed?
The Pit Bull breeds are crosses of Bulldog and Terrier. To say the differences of each breed would take a lot of some, you would have to differentiate between each breed of bulldog as compared to the APBT, some are very similar. Some American Bulldogs have Pit Bull blood and some Pit Bulls have American Bulldog blood. Some other Bulldog breeds also have APBT blood so there isn’t always much difference other then a selective breeding difference. Bulldog and Pit Bull are types, not breeds.
Bulldog is also just a name in some of these breeds, it is a breed name and doesn’t mean the dog has no Pit Bull, terrier blood or other type of blood.
Pit Bull includes American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers. There are also other Bull & Terrier breeds, such as the Bull Terrier.

I don't condone dog fighting at all so please don't make this a topic of discussion, but why do people choose pit bulls for dog fighting instead of bulldogs?
I’m not sure where you got this info, because a lot of bulldogs are used in dog fighting. The original Bull Baiting and dog fighters were bulldogs. Pit Bulls are crosses of Bulldogs and Terriers to get Pit Bulls who were continued to be bred for fighting. Currently several bulldog breeds are still used in dog fights either from time to time or on a regular basis. Pit Bulls are most often used (in this country at least) because they are a popular, easy to find and cheap breed. They are also well known as fighting dogs. As well they have a lot of heart, gameness and determination to not quite in a fight (or other hardship) they make an excellent fighting dog. These same traits make them great working dogs at legit task too.

Alano Espanol (Spanish Bulldog)
This is one of my favorite breeds that I have never met/owned..lol Just from reading about them and being able to talk to a couple owners they seem to be very formidable working dogs. They are a very athletic, working breed with great strength, courage and endurance. They hunt, catch and are also great to control/catch cattle. It is said that they can run for miles and miles without tiring. They need a lot of exercise and space to run. They do not take well to being couped up. They are a breed who naturally has good full mouth bite. They also have an extremely high pain tolerance. Balance is very important to the breed. Going between 70-90lbs always balanced is important.

Guard They make an excellent at least watchdog, if not a very good and loyal guard dog. You want to make sure you have proper training.

Fighting Not sure that many have been used for this. I know they were used for bull fights sometime ago, but not sure on the dog fighting. They would probably make an unrivaled fighting dog. However they seem to not be so dog aggressive and work good in pairs or teams.

Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog
I do not know much about them, never met one. Did some research but that some years ago when my Mom was interested in them. So I don’t remember much. They are similar to the American Bulldog and have similar uses with as cattle and catch dogs.

Guard?
They are supposed to be a guardian breed, I’m sure they have some instincts. I’m sure that they would be alert and protective.

why do people choose pit bulls for dog fighting instead of bulldogs?
This breed has been here as a plantation breed. Its hard to say if it was ever fought or not. I doubt it would be truthful to say they never saw a staged dog fight by someone, sometime in history. The reason for them not being used I would think is because they are not popular and not really bred to fight.

American Bulldog There are a few types of AB.
1. Johnson or Classic this strain has English Bulldog bred in. Johnson’s Dick the Bruiser is a well known dog of this line. He is also in the other lines and is the sire of the Pit Bull named Wannabe A Whopper.
2. Scott is the Standard or performance
3. Painter This line is also a smaller performance type line, it has excelled at catch work and dog fighting. This line is bred from Dick the Bruiser stuff, along with a few other AB lines and APBT blood.
4. Old Southern White/White English originals
5. Hybrid Johnson/Scott and other types.

This breed is widely used as a catch and cattle dog. Seem to have a large weight range, I've seen them 50lbs to almost 150lbs.

Guard? American Bulldogs do make good guard and protection dogs. It takes the right selection of a dog (breeding/genetics) and the proper training. They can be pretty good watch dogs even without training, they bark like other dogs and I find they have a nice deep bark in most cases.

why do people choose pit bulls for dog fighting instead of bulldogs? People have/do use AB in dog fighting. Some use crosses of APBT and AB and others use straight AB. The Painter strain was heavy in dog fighting. There are some people who still use AB (not just Painter strain) for dog fighting. I would say they are not as specialized for it and might not have “deep gameness” but some certainly will fight (are dog aggressive) and have some level of gameness. Some AB have won over some APBT. The APBT probably makes a better fighting dog but it depends on the individual dog.

Aussie Bulldog
I don’t know much about them and never met one. I have only read that they were created from English Bulldog, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Boxer and Bullmastiff. Really not sure about the guard dog or dog fighting part. I’m sure you can find more info.

Banter Bulldog
This breed was created as a recreation to be similar to the Brabanter Bullenbeisser. These dogs are bred from Boxer, Bulldogs and probably APBTs. They don’t seem to have a consistent type as they are still in development somewhat. I have seen some that look more Boxer in the face and others that look pure APBT. They are a very athletic breed. They have done well in weight pull just as the “Bull Boxer” (Pit Bull x Boxer). More balanced then generally some other bulldog breeds. Some I’ve liked the looks, very nice IMO.
Fighting Since these were a recreation breed it wasn’t created as a fighting so therefore isn’t used for one.
Guard They have been used in some personal protection sport, but not sure where the guard dog capabilities lie.

Campeiro Bulldog (Brazillian)
These are said to be descendants of English Bulldogs. I’m sure this is pretty true of their origin. They look better and healthier then our present day English Bulldogs, but look how an EB used to look. They are still used as working dogs and are much larger then EB. They are still used for catch and holding work to this day.
Guard Probably are an alert guardian, very capable at say 80lbs of doing some damage.
Fighting Not sure if they are or ever were used for fighting.

Ca De Bou
This is a breed I personally like. They are a hard working breed who is very athletic. They have been bred almost solely for working and haven’t been watered down. Like the APBT and Alano Espanol most important to the dogs build is a sound structure and balance! This is a large strong willed breed, but an excellent working dog. They make excellent catch dogs. A large breed up to 100lbs I have seen them, most were smaller though.
Guard. They make great natural guardians. You would need to train for anything specialized. They have the protective instincts of most bulldogs and will fight man or beast.
Fighting. The Ca De Bou has excelled also at dog fighting and continues to be used for this by some people.

Catahoula Bulldog
The CB is a cross between the American Bulldog and the Catahoula Leopard dog. It was done to create a better working dog that would both drive cattle and hold cattle and also be able to catch hogs. Another common working cross is the APBT x Catahoula which is also used for the same purpose. These are hard working farm dogs.
Guard. Maybe? Fighting?

Colorado Bulldog
The Colorado Bulldogs was created in Colorado and is a cross of American Bulldog and American Staffordshire Terrier. They are a very large breed, some up to 150lbs. From what I can tell and the ones I’ve met they are bred basically as a family companion dog.
Guard. I’m certain that they would have some protective instincts or be an alert watchdog, however I haven’t found one breeder uses/breeding them for any actual work. Some of the AB x Pit Bull crosses have done good at some work like this, but the Colorado Bulldog breeders themselves breed large companion dogs and not working dogs.
Fighting. This is doubtful for most of them. Some ASTxAB and APBTxAB have been used (and done well) in dog fighting but the breeders who create/breed and breed Colorado Bulldogs don’t breed and use them for fighting. So fighting wouldn’t be done with what is now called a Colorado Bulldog. Hope this makes sense. Some people breed this cross without using the made up breed name if that helps. Same as above on the guard work.

More to come..

Thanks for all the info. You obviously know your stuff. I don't think I want one of those cross breed dogs whenever I do decide to buy a dog. I also don't think I'm gonna buy a dog until I have a house with a yard. I think most bull dogs are apartment pets, although I have friends in tiny aprtments with big pits.

Last edited by ogplife; 10-20-2007 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2007, 05:02 PM
 
943 posts, read 3,812,512 times
Reputation: 425
I don't think I want one of those cross breeded dogs when I do buy one, although I do like to read about them. I also think I'm gonna wait a few years forthe dog until I buy my first home with a small yard. I don't look at any mid/large dog as apartment pets, although I have plenty of friends with big PB'S in tiny apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2007, 06:25 PM
 
1,177 posts, read 8,072,284 times
Reputation: 905
Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldog
Originated in 1980s. Yet another old style bulldog recreation that seems to be so popular. A pretty good job was done IMO at sustaining a type close to the originals. I would say that they are bred for pets and companion. Not a working, guard or fighting dog really. Their faces would probably inhibit their fighting ability when compared to other modern breeds currently used for fighting.

English Bulldog
I just saw one of these last night on “It’s Me Or The Dog” I couldn’t believe they let this dog bite their 13yr old and pee all over the house. This breed is pretty much a companion animal only. Not a guard or fighting breed. There physical attributes would inhibit them from being a good fighting breed as they can’t breath or bite properly for this. They are bred for a “deformed” look and are much more exaggerated then their ancestors. They have loads of health problems, even from good breeders. So make sure before you get one that you have money for possible vet bills that will likely arise. They are cute to some people and a heavy but short compact dog. They do not do well in heat and shouldn’t be left outside for long periods of time and do not do well with too much sun exposure.

French Bulldog
This is another small companion breed. Watchdog at most, as they can bark to alert. Obviously not a choice for a fighting dog. They make good little pets, are cute and have a few less health problems then the EB.

Hermes Bulldog
These are the giants of the Olde or Original Bulldog types. They are up to 150lbs in some specimens. They are generally very athletic and healthy though. I have seen some work in personal protection and guard training. So I’d assume they make good guard dogs with the right breeding and training. They tend to be healthier then the modern EBs. They can breath better and are capable of working. They have a very functional form. They are also used to hunt and do well at it.

Olde Boston Bulldog
This one is still one of my favorites. This is the breed that Boston Terriers were bred down from, they made a mini toy breed from them which became very popular. The Boston Bulldog was a fighting breed, like the Pit Bulls of the time they were brought here for dog fights. These dogs are also considered the Bull and Terriers which were popular in Boston, where they get their name sake. They basically share a close ancestry with the APBT and BT as they were all fighting breeds developed for dog to dog combat and in some cases bred together, just the best fighting dog to the other and not as a pure breed. If you look at old pictures of Boston Bulldogs and APBT they look very much the same. As well modern Boston Bulldogs and APBT also look extremely similar. I would think that the guarding instincts wouldn’t be as strong as other bulldogs, but I’m sure they have some protectiveness or make an alert watch dog. I have no idea where their currently fighting capability lives, I don’t think they have much been used for that anymore.

Olde English Bulldog
Also known as the Leavitt Bulldog, this was a breed I mentioned before. It is another creation of what the original or old English bulldog were to look like in the past. He has done a pretty good job with most of his stock looking similar to the old bulldogs. These have also proved to be decent working dogs in pull and protection. APBT, AB and EB were used in the creation. Dog fighting hasn’t been done with them that I know of. Probably wouldn’t be due to why they were created wasn’t a fighting dog. Have seen these guys up to 60lbs. They are better balanced and have a sounder structure then modern EB.

Original English Bulldog
Another one I mentioned, the Wilkinson Bulldog of brought Canada in 1946. It is said that the breed was in the family for many generations. Whether this is true is debatable but it is very possible that the Wilkinson’s family bred bulldogs for generations in Scotland in which this wouldn’t be a recreation of an old bulldog. These guys can also be large dogs, 70lbs range. They are more balanced again then the modern English Bulldog and probably prone to less health problems. Better structure overall.

Valley Bulldog
This is a not very well known breed that has been in existence for at least 100yrs. They look like mini Boxers to me. They are like most bulldogs bred to ward off predators and work/drive cattle. Valuable farm dogs. Fighting wouldn’t be present in these dogs I don’t believe, farmers/ranchers would have more then 1 together usually. I think they have some natural guard instincts. Another Canadian breed like the Original English Bulldog.

Victorian Bulldog
Another recreation using Bullmastiff, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier and English Bulldogs to create. Again these dogs are pretty much on the mark of what the dogs of the passed looked like. Probably healthier then the English Bulldog of today. You will see them in the 70lbs range from times and they are better balanced. Some though do look like giant EBs and are probably not as athletic as those with better structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2007, 06:29 PM
 
1,177 posts, read 8,072,284 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I don't think I want one of those cross breeded dogs when I do buy one, although I do like to read about them. I also think I'm gonna wait a few years forthe dog until I buy my first home with a small yard. I don't look at any mid/large dog as apartment pets, although I have plenty of friends with big PB'S in tiny apartments.
I wouldn't knock the created breeds. Some are just as good as the recognized ones if not better. If someone wants a healthy, long lived and alert dog I would recommend them one of the creation breeds vs and English Bulldog.

Some of the cross breeds though, yeah kind of pointless. Like the Colorado Bulldog. Just to make a large companion type dog. Most are F1 crosses and don't have a long standing breeding program of culling and selectively breeding.

Others are done as needed like the Catahoula Bulldog, it can meets all the ranchers needs in one dog instead of having to have more then one breed or more dogs then needed.

What are you looking for in a bulldog? That would help you narrow it down and research more specifically on that breed. Since there are so many types with different purpose you need to decide which attributes are important to you and fit your lifestyle. Then you can look at the breeds which work best for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2007, 06:13 AM
 
943 posts, read 3,812,512 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
I wouldn't knock the created breeds. Some are just as good as the recognized ones if not better. If someone wants a healthy, long lived and alert dog I would recommend them one of the creation breeds vs and English Bulldog.

Some of the cross breeds though, yeah kind of pointless. Like the Colorado Bulldog. Just to make a large companion type dog. Most are F1 crosses and don't have a long standing breeding program of culling and selectively breeding.

Others are done as needed like the Catahoula Bulldog, it can meets all the ranchers needs in one dog instead of having to have more then one breed or more dogs then needed.

What are you looking for in a bulldog? That would help you narrow it down and research more specifically on that breed. Since there are so many types with different purpose you need to decide which attributes are important to you and fit your lifestyle. Then you can look at the breeds which work best for you.
I want a low energy bulldog. I don't want one that does backflips when I come home. I want my dog to mirror my personality. I am almost always even keel, but I feel I am very intelligent, can recognize "real" trouble quick and I have no problem knucklin up if it comes down to it. I guess I will have to read and figure out which dog is capable of those things and is historically healthy. Once again i'm not rich at all. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2007, 12:39 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
1,930 posts, read 9,461,398 times
Reputation: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Wow, I never knew there were so many bulldog breeds. I heard of the French, American and of course English/British. In relation to my question you can answer in relation to any of them you are familiar with. I guess I have 2 extra questions now. In your personal opinion what is the differences amongst the different bulldog breeds? What differentiates the bulldog breed from a pit bull breed? I don't condone dog fighting at all so please don't make this a topic of discussion, but why do people choose pit bulls for dog fighting instead of bulldogs? Bulldogs appear to be just as strong. Thanks.

From the little bit of knowledge I gained from the website. If I had to choose one today, I would get the Olde English. Frenchie would be number one without the health issues they are notorious for. I am not rich and I would not buy a dog and have to place myself in ethical situations where I am choosing between neglect and paying my bills or giving the dog to a shelter altogether.
I'm definitely not an expert, but because you asked for my personal opinion I can answer your questions! lol!

As for the differences in the different bulldog breeds, it would be hard to just group them all together and name a couple differences, you know? They are all different breeds and in many ways they are a lot a like, but at the same time, there are differences. I know more about the "pit bull" breeds than I do bulldog breeds, so I'll move on to your second question. First of all, I have to say that the three "pit bull" breeds, American Pit Bull Terriers (APBT), American Staffordshire Terriers (AmStaff) and Staffordshire Bull Terriers (Staffies), are considered "bulldog" or "bully" breeds, as well as the dogs that actually have "bulldog" or bulldogge" in their names. The "pit bull" breeds originally came from mixes of bulldogs and various terriers and they were bred for bull baiting and dog fighting. The "pit bull" breeds and the bulldog breeds have just as much in common as all of the different bulldog breeds have with each other. I think because of all of the crazy myths and twisted, over dramatic media hype people try to separate the "pit bull" breeds from the bulldog breeds more than they really are. I guess in order to feel that bulldog breeds aren't "dangerous" or "vicious" like a lot of people feel that the "pit bull" breeds are. All of the bulldog breeds, Boxers, English Bulldogs, Olde English Bulldoggies, American Bulldogs, French Bulldogs, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldogs, Valley Bulldogs, American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers, Boston Terriers, Bull Mastiffs and Banter Bulldoggies all have a lot in common, I would assume that that's why they are all grouped together as "bulldog" or "bully" breeds. But they are different breeds and they do each have their own differences. Like I said, with such a large group of breeds it's hard to name differences, if you have a couple breeds that you are interested in it would be a lot easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2007, 03:52 PM
 
1,177 posts, read 8,072,284 times
Reputation: 905
Good post PBM. They are all Bully breeds. We must not forget they are Bull and Terriers though. That is their classification. Some of the dogs widely excepted as Bulldogs though also have Terrier blood, so thats where it gets more confusing.

I don't understand like you said why people want to separate them. I saw on an American Bulldog show where they had to reinterate a few times that they are not related to Pit Bulls or are not Pit Bulls! I'm like WTH is the big deal? Besides that they are related distantly and others more direct as they have APBT blood in them. I saw on a Bull Terrier show where they said The Bull Terrier was a gentle clown and not to be confused with the Pit Bull Terrier. Like are Pit Bulls not gentle clowns? I will have to go into the Bull and Terrier breeds as I meant to before. Also the Bull and other breeds out there. The Boxer is a descendent of the Brabanter Bullenbeisser. It is a shame what Boxers have become in this country. Its crazy how these breeds are so changed. I also wonder why they make a show standard which changes the looks of the dog? Also breed for a different temperament?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top